Profile for Westcountrystar > Reviews

Dayclox International Digital Calendar Day Clock
Dayclox International Digital Calendar Day Clock
Offered by XARIM LTD

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly expensive, but poorly made, 21 April 2014
Firstly, it is nice and clear and provides just the information Mum needed.

However it is very poorly made - the construction is cheap and nasty. The power lead kept falling out with the slightest excuse, and when it does you have to completely reset everything as there is not even a battery to keep the current time. So each time I went round I had to reset it, and because of this Mum came to simply ignore it as being unreliable. Even the buttons to set up the menu are nasty. Now the screen has got broken, although to be fair, whether due to poor materials or abuse I cannot say.

If it was on sale for about £12 I would say it was a good buy.

Training Kit (Exam 70-461): Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012
Training Kit (Exam 70-461): Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012
by Itzik Ben-Gan

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but with some niggles, 12 July 2013
Overall this is a very good book. Most of it is very well written and covers the material in a comprehensive and understandable way. It does give a bit of background and I think that helps. It can certainly be recommended as a tutorial for learning SQL to use in anger on SQL Server, and as a training manual to pass the exam.

There are some things that could be improved. In particular, as noted by another reviewer, the sample questions are poor. They are simplistic and repetitive. The book describes them as 'Practice Tests.' Take note that it does not claim they are practice for the exam. The explanations of right and wrong answers are generally helpful, though. Also I found the chapter on XML pretty incomprehensible. It is rushed and has few examples. Finally I would love to see some good coverage of the effects of the different transaction isolation levels. The book just regurgitates the Books On-line definitions which do not really explain the interaction between your and other transactions in the different cases in any detailed or useful way.

Despite these issues, I would still rate it highly and say it is a big improvement on the 2 other Microsoft Press training manuals I have used.

TP-Link TL-WR1043ND 300Mbps Wireless N 4 Gigabit Port Cable Router (USB Port for Printers, Files or Media Sharing)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent speed, reliability and value, 7 July 2013
I bought this so that we could stop using the wireless function on our Virgin Superhub, as that has always been problematic and only seems to work with certain laptops/chipsets. It drove me mad.

This TP-Link has been simply brilliant. It gives absolutely solid connections to all our devices and at high speeds. Really can't fault it - especially at this price.

We only use it as an Access Point so can't comment on Firewall etc.

Toshiba E-core B22 6 Watt Classic Gls 2700k 325lm, Home White
Toshiba E-core B22 6 Watt Classic Gls 2700k 325lm, Home White
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 6 May 2013
These have a good warmish colour and no strange colour casts. I think they are also easily bright enough to replace 40W incandescent bulbs.

I bought 2 of these for the landing to replace some other recently purchased LED bulbs that were slightly cheaper but had an unpleasant quality to the light. These are a great improvement and I can certainly recommend them.

B22 Bayonet 7W LED (Samsung Chip) Bulb Day White, Super Power 600 Lumens, 60-70W replacement
Offered by JnDeeLighting

2.0 out of 5 stars Strange colour, but certainly bright, 5 May 2013
To me this has a greenish tinge that made the light seem very strange and not pleasant.

Also there are 2 versions of this bulb, Warm White and this Day White one. When I went to order it I mistakenly just read the Product Features for this one which clearly says Warm White. (And the Colour temperature is 3000K on both versions too.) Perhaps the Warm white might have had a better colour balance.

On the plus side it is certainly very bright - much more so than I had expected.

In the end I could not live with the cold clinical light so I have replaced the 2 I bought with The Toshiba Ecore 6W Home White which I am very happy with, and that also proved to have plenty of light for the landing.

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-432): Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 - Implementation and Maintenance: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 - Implementation and Maintenance Book/CD Package (PRO-Certification)
by Mike Hotek

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 9 Nov 2012
The shortcomings of this book have been well described, correctly, by others.

I thought the books saving grace, however, would be the practice questions, even though the question answers reference incorrect or non-existent book chapters. So I dutifully spent ages making sure I could do them pretty well. Sadly it turns out they weren't much use either. I have just taken the test and I don't think the practice material covered even a fraction of the topics the real exam came up with.

Managed to just scrape a pass, so I have given it a couple of stars as I must have picked up something from it along the way ..

Be aware that this exam is being discontinued in July 2013 according to Microsoft.

StarTech.com 16 Inch (40cm) 9 P Inch Serial Male to 10 P Inch Motherboard Header Slot Plate (PLATE9M16)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Works., 18 April 2012
It is exactly what it says it is, and it works fine on an ASUS A8N-E Motherboard. Arrived within 2 days. What more could you want?

Microsoft LifeCam VX 5000 - Blue
Microsoft LifeCam VX 5000 - Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars Camera works - Software does not (Win XP), 11 Mar 2011
Fortunately the camera itself works fine and is usable in Skype, its intended purpose. (Although even there I had to find and turn off backlight compensation which made us all look like we were in a nuclear disaster)

However the LifeCam software that comes with the camera with all its adjustments and tools simply does not seem to work on Windows XP. It loads up and immediately crashes. Tried all the usual tricks (re-installing, updating everything etc.) - still the same problem. Eventually tried it on a completely different machine, also XP, and it happens on that one as well. I have installed this camera and software on another machine for a friend and that worked perfectly under Windows 7. It is a while since I have seen a piece of software so unfit for purpose. C'mon Microsoft, you can do better than this.