Profile for nah-belle > Reviews

Content by nah-belle

nah-belle

Cuddlestime 70cm Lying Tiger Soft Plush Toy (Brown)
Cuddlestime 70cm Lying Tiger Soft Plush Toy (Brown)
Offered by Green Toys And Games

3.0 out of 5 stars Stunning but should have included age restriction, 12 Feb 2013
This toy is absolutely beautiful and is so lifelike it even had my mother enthralled by it. The material is soft but the actual head is solid like it made of wood, which surprised me.

I bought this for my cousin's 1st birthday present (as she is fascinated with anything catlike), which resulted in squeals of delight from her.

Although I am more than happy with it appearance wise I am disappointed too because the tiger's face has a small, soft mane, which immediately attracted my cousin, and the hairs easily came out in her hand and evidently found their way into her mouth. I spent most of my time picking bits of fur out of her mouth before she choked.

The information here on Amazon did not include an age restriction, neither did the actual toy when it arrived, which really annoyed me as this product is not suitable for children under 2 years old in my opinion, due to chocking hazard.

I will now have to keep the tiger until next year and get her something more age appropriate, which is a real shame as it is a gorgeous toy and very realistic.

Please Don't Say You Love Me
Please Don't Say You Love Me

4.0 out of 5 stars A soft voice for sweet songs, 12 Feb 2013
I only wanted Please Don't Say You Love Me, but seeing as the EP was the same price as just the one song I decided to buy four songs for the price of one.

As Please Don't Say You Love Me was the whole reason I bought the EP it is my favourite: a bitter-sweet song about the highs and lows of loving someone. I believe it will be the next song to be realised off of her upcoming album released in April.

Stranger Side has an almost country twang to it musically, and Rings Round Roses is a little play on the children's song Ring-a-ring O' Roses so lyrically it as a pleasant familiarity to it.

Although the piano version of Please Don't Say you Love Me is a repetition of the 1st song it is just Gabrielle's voice and piano and nothing else. It's more melancholy than the 1st, which is more upbeat. It's remarkable how different the two versions sound, the first definitely feels more uplifting and showcases the highs of love much more clearly, whereas the second is slower and feels like it's more about the lows of loving someone. Its melancholic tone speaks to the heart and illustrates the raw emotion in a similar way to Adele's Someone Like You, only not quite so well executed or powerful.

All in all it is a very sweet little EP and Gabrielle's breathy voice is very pleasant and relaxing.

Tea with Bea: Recipes from Bea's of Bloomsbury
Tea with Bea: Recipes from Bea's of Bloomsbury
by Bea's of Bloomsbury

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Mixed Results, 9 Feb 2013
I'll start by saying I'm an experienced baker so unlike some other reviewers I found the recipes easy to follow, however I was not as impressed with this book as I had hoped. Sure the pictures are gorgeous and some of the recipes make you salivate just reading them but the actual results vary greatly.

For example the chocolate fudge icing is a real winner. It has never split on me and tastes divine, in fact it tastes so good that you don't even need to pair it with a really chocolaty cake made with real chocolate, just a simple cocoa powder cake works perfectly.

But on the other hand the chocolate peanut butter brownies were awful! I know the importance of not overcooking brownies so I was baffled as to why they tasted so dry and chalky.
I didn't change the recipe except to use a different brand of quality chocolate, as the suggested Valrhona chocolate is ridiculously expensive. But it didn't matter as the brownies hardly tasted chocolaty at all, which was disappointing.
Also in reference to the method it would have been useful to warn readers to slightly warm the peanut butter before dolloping on the top, as it was very hard to delicately swirl into the batter.

And on another note a few recipes say that it is imperative that non Dutch processed cocoa powder is used, which is fine and I know that you can get Natural cocoa powder in the US but in the UK ONLY Dutch processed cocoa powder is available. I looked in every supermarket, health food shop and even went to the Whole Foods Market in Kensington, as I knew it was an American company, but no luck at all. I did find some online for an obscene amount of money which I was not willing to pay just to make a cake. I would like to know where Bea gets her supply of natural cocoa powder from!

All in all I was not overly impressed. I will try one of the tarts next to see if Bea can redeem herself, but judging by the results from some other reviewers I would say this book is very hit and miss.

Prestige Non-stick Bakeware, Square Cake Tin, 20 cm (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly average but gets the job done, 11 Nov 2011
I bought this square pan to make carrot cake and I am fairly happy with it. I have made cakes greasing the tin with butter/marge and without it. The cakes come out fine both ways but as personal preference I tend to grease the bottom and sides of the tin just to avoid any potential sticking disasters.

The loose bottom of the pan makes removing the cakes very easy but buyers should be aware that the loose bottom is not suitable for very wet, runny cake mixtures as it tends to leak out of the bottom. But thicker batters are fine and do not leak at all.

It's also not the best quality material as the tin tends to bend in the heat of the oven. This is fairly standard with the cheaper pans as the metal is thinner than the more expensive pans. But don't worry it goes back to normal as it cools and it doesn't affect the outcome of the cake. I only mention it so that buyers are not worried if their pan gets bent out of shape or you hear it snap in the oven. It is perfectly normal.

My major criticism with this pan is that the loose bottom has a little rim around the edge which collects cake in the creases. Although this does not affect the cake it is a nuisance to clean. I have to run a toothpick around the rim several times to get all the cake out.

All in all it is an average non stick pan that will do the job, you get what you pay for.

Midnight Conclusions
Midnight Conclusions

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem that deserves more recognition, 11 Nov 2011
This is a great little EP. Tyler Lane's breathy vocal stylings are reminiscent to that of Joshua Radin and are perfectly complemented by the stripped back music.

I came across this album after hearing Photosynthesis on a TV programme and I knew I had to own it. Each song is different but Midnight Conclusions, Angels In Words, Photosynthesis and Waiting For You are all slow and relaxed tunes while Please Don't Go is a faster, upbeat almost bouncy song.

Even if the whole album doesn't appeal Photosynthesis is, in my opinion, the best song on the EP and well worth a listen. It simple guitar melody accompanied by the stringed instruments is just beautiful, and Lane's soothing voice conveys so much emotion particularly in this song.

I highly recommend the EP especially at Amazon's very reasonable price.

STACKERS 'CLASSIC SIZE' Cream 25 Section STACKER Jewellery Box with Purple Lining
Offered by The Giftery

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, neat and tidy, 10 Nov 2011
I don't have a Stackers jewellery box I only wanted this compartment tray to hold my rings and earrings so that they were tidy but easily accessible.

It's a beautiful tray and the organisational aspect of it brings my inner neat freak an immense since of joy.
The separators seem quite sturdy an well stuck together and the purple lining is soft so that your jewellery wont catch the material, plus it's a lovely colour but beware the outer white shell is NOT the white shown in the picture. It is more of a dark cream colour. It is still made of a lovely soft leather (or for the price I imagine its faux leather) and the creamy colour is nice and goes very well with the purple but potential buyers should be aware that it is not white, in case they wanted it to go with a white room.

Each compartment is 3.5cm x 4.5cm so they can hold a good range of different sized jewellery however my longest pair of earrings don't fit and hang over the edge.

Overall it is a lovely jewellery holder that keeps things tidy but still easy to get to and would make a useful addition to an existing Stackers box or works just as well as a stand alone holder. My only wish is that there were more than 25 compartments to hold all of my things.

Nambeads © 50 x Mixed Murano glass beads to fit Pandora style charm bracelets.Slide on/off-Hole is 5mm.. Check out our bulk packs of affordable glass beads,charms,clip stops,rhinestones etc. Great mix.
Offered by AlphaAcc

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely selection, 19 July 2011
I only ordered these yesterday and they arrived this morning! Very prompt delivery and it was free.

The beads are actually very nice considering the price. All are 925 stamped and there are a mix of colours (blue, green, red, orange, pink, black, white and one purple). Out of the 50 I would say that there are 25 different beads and the rest is made up of duplicates - which doesn't bother me as they worked out as 25p per bead MUCH cheaper than anywhere else online and better quality too.

My rating is actually 4.5 (but as you know you cant give half a star). I knocked off half a point as one of the bead's silver insert had fallen out in transit but it is easily glues back in place.

All in all a very nice selection and excellent value for money.

The Sound Of Sunshine (Album Version)
The Sound Of Sunshine (Album Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunshine sounds like this, 9 April 2011
I first this song on holiday in San Francisco in October last year and since then have been waiting for it to come out here and now it has just in time for the lovely sunshine we've been having.

This is a very upbeat song that oozes summer, it reminds you of the beach, or having a BBQ with friends on a hot day. Also it has a good beat to dance to if you are that way inclined, and Michael Franti has a lovely smooth voice.
So if this is the sound of sunshine then I say bring on summer!

The Tree of Seasons
The Tree of Seasons
by Stephen Gately

3.0 out of 5 stars I desperately wanted to like this book, 11 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Tree of Seasons (Hardcover)
From the beautiful artwork and the blurb I thought I would really enjoy this book, I mean a tree with four doors leading to magical lands of The Seasons...what's not to like? But I found that I had several problems with the book, the main one being the names of some characters and the four lands. They were not very imaginative for a children's book, rather clichéd and almost a little cringe worthy, my least favourites being Brightisclearen and Icefroztica.

I also found that the book was not especially gripping. While I was reading it was pleasant enough but when I put it down I did not feel compelled to pick it up again. In fact I often forgot about it and a week would go past before I would remember it again. However it was very easy to pick up again after neglecting it for a while.

But still, I was very aware while reading that the author was a novice. I mean no disrespect to Stephen Gately but it was always in the back of my mind that he does not write for a living. Maybe he would have improved his writing style with time instead of being a celebrity trying his hand at being an author, but sadly we will never know.

Having said that Gately does create some powerful imagery with his settings and his beautifully described landscapes are very easy for the reader to picture. So there are some good and bad aspects to the book, and I am not saying that nobody should buy it. It is neither an excellent read nor a pile of rubbish, it is perfectly average.