Profile for Arkgirl > Reviews

Content by Arkgirl

Arkgirl (North Yorkshire)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Esselte Pendaflex A4 Vertical Suspension Files - Assorted (Pack of 10)
Esselte Pendaflex A4 Vertical Suspension Files - Assorted (Pack of 10)

3.0 out of 5 stars Colourful with easy to fit tabs, 11 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Colourful set of suspension files with easy to fit and change tabs. The latter plus point is my favourite element of these files but do be careful about sizing as these are not extendable and thus won't fit many filing cabinets and home filing units. Although some people thought the plastic tabs are flimsy, as they slot into the back or front of the file by tucking them into small spaces and are easily manipulated and can be removed quickly I find these very useful. The tabs can be opened up wide to fit the little bits of cardboard that I usually bend trying to push into the other tab style so I found these a good addition. The set includes 2 files of each of the bright colours [blue, yellow, red, white and green] so they could be used as part of a filing system.
The card is not particularly thick with a reinforcing strip along the bottom but the package they arrived in was slightly bent and they didn't hold up well to rough handling in transit.
Reasonable and colourful files but could be packaged better and the card could be stronger.

Corelle Vitrelle Glass 12-Piece Winter Frost Chip and Break Resistant Dinner Set, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but great starter pack for a new home, 8 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Simple, plain but great starter pack for a new home. Comprising very light-weight and stackable plates [dinner and side] and bowls in the chip and break resistant vitrelle glass these are ideal for my 'soon to be student' teenage daughter. The crisp white and shiny finish goes well with most colour schemes and the 4 big plates, 4 small plates and 4 bowls are all that are needed for a first dining set.

They arrived in what seemed like flimsy internal packaging inside the amazon box but there were no breakages and all was ok! They didn't have extra wrapping but I didn't have the problem that the box was damaged getting in to see the product.
I like the fact that it doesn't take up a huge amount of space, they aren't high maintenance and so far seem pretty hardy.

The Life I Left Behind
The Life I Left Behind
by Colette Mcbeth

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read but not a taxing crime puzzle, 4 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Life I Left Behind (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Told through three varying narrative voices this is an unsettling book about obsession, control and murder. The three women who we hear from are 2 victims, one survivor (Melody) and one dead (Eve), and the detective (Victoria) investigating the most recent attack but who was involved on the previous attack years before. Before we start to hear from the women we hear about a young boy who arrives to find his mother dead and with nobody else around he lies to next to her, staying with her through the night this is obviously a traumatic start in life for any child. The story then jumps forward in time to hear from Eve and we have the classic crime solving with the twist of one person being dead and knowing who was responsible.
I enjoyed discovering more about these women and how their stories converge but I didn't find the crime element of the story particularly challenging as I feel it is signposted in a very clear way but I did enjoy the how we reach the conclusion element to the tale.
If you are looking for a classic whodunit crime then this is probably not the ideal book for you but if you enjoy character studies and exploring how traumatic incidents affect individuals then I think this is an enjoyable and easy read.

Philips LED GU10 Spot Light 3W (35W Replacement) Warm White, Pack of 2
Philips LED GU10 Spot Light 3W (35W Replacement) Warm White, Pack of 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to fit, good strong light that will last, 2 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes as a pack of 2 in safe packaging and as other Philips Gu10 lights I have used lasted ages having 2 is a bonus. They are easy to slot in to my bedside spot lamp just align and twist. The light is bright and clear but as it is described as warm white I expected it to be more subtle than it actually is but it does work very well for reading in bed. These LED bulbs are very energy efficient and I would definitely recommend their use.

My Heart and Other Black Holes
My Heart and Other Black Holes
by Jasmine Warga

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough subject approached with sensitivity and heart, 2 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This teenage exploration of suicide, depression and guilt might seem a bleak subject matter but Jasmine Warga writes with a warmth and compassion that allows hope to seep in even when tragedy feels many of the pages. Aysel and Roman connect via an online suicide community and because of their geographical closeness they agree to be suicide partners. The date is set, April 7th, but will they both go through with it?
Aysel's voice touches the reader as she shares her reason for wanting to leave this world and as they draw closer together you care more and more.
Suicide amongst teens and these suicide support rooms is an area that I have debated and discussed in my roles in school and youth groups, I would recommend young people I work with to read this book to get an insight into how people can sink into 'black holes' of depression but to convey the message that there is hope out there.
It isn't as cut and dried as you might think with this story, it does have twists, and I think this is a well written and moving read.

Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 - 1 year - 3 users (PC)
Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 - 1 year - 3 users (PC)
Offered by Wiziwoo Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and quick set up, 2 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an easy to use internet security programme and after a few weeks use it seems to be running smoothly with little slowing down of other activities. It is just a matter of loading the DVD and following the very simple set up but I did find the initial full scan was quite lengthy so allow time for this. Obviously it is useful to have the ability to use this on more than one device and as internet security is becoming more of an issue it is key to be protected. It has clear graphics and several extras for parental controls and I have found myself with fewer pop ups and quick logging in to regular sites visited. Favourable view so far.

The Twilight Hour
The Twilight Hour
by Nicci Gerrard

4.0 out of 5 stars A touching, stimulating read that gradually unfolds with mystery and intrigue woven in., 26 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Twilight Hour (Paperback)
As someone has associated the name Nicci Gerrard with crime writing I was interested to see that this is a completely different style and yet at the heart there are secrets, mysteries and you have puzzles to solve. What makes this so different to other books I have read by the author, either individually or in partnership with Sean French, is that the book has poignancy and moved me as I engaged with the lead characters.
Eleanor narrowly escapes death in a fire, this is the catalyst for the family decide it is time for her to move away from her solitary life in the family home and be cared for elsewhere. Before she moves out she wants to celebrate one last birthday, her 95th, there in her home and she also wants help sorting all her possessions but not from the family. Peter is someone going through a troubled period in his life and sees this as a chance to escape to the country away from everyone going on and gradually grow stronger. As their unusual friendship develops, and the memories, photos and letters are sifted through, Eleanor opens up about her past and a lost love that she has never been able to forget. The book starts with an intriguing scene that is disturbing and sets the scene of mystery; this mystery is added to during the book with some great twists and turns to challenge the crime fans of Gerrard's other work.
To say anymore about the story would be 'spoilerish' but I found it moving, gradually unfolding with mystery and often touching, with real characters that come to life and you end up caring about. I am grateful to realreaders.co.uk for the chance to read and honestly review this book.

Pinzon Everyday Cotton, Ivory Double Fitted Sheet
Pinzon Everyday Cotton, Ivory Double Fitted Sheet

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, soft and well fitting sheets, 26 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This sheet feels soft to touch, the elastic fitted element was a great fit for our double bed and it has been a comfortable sheet to sleep on. I think it will be even better in the summer months with it being 100% cotton. The colour is described as ivory but is actually a light fawn with a hint of grey. The sheet isn't particularly thick so I would recommend an under sheet if you don't want to see the patterning on your mattress. I like the feel and the fit so I would look for other bedding by this maker.

Paul Lamond The Story Telling Game
Paul Lamond The Story Telling Game
Offered by a1 Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple idea that makes for an easy, enjoyable game, 16 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The set comprises a buzzer/wind up timer and story telling cards: an alphabet set with picture and word for each letter of the alphabet; 25 yellow single syllable phonetic cards for younger children; about 70 longer word cards; some change direction cards and some smiley trump cards.
It is very easy to play with each person receiving 10 cards, with younger players it suggests using just the phonetic cards but I would think the picture, trump and change direction cards would also be used. Player one starts the timer/buzzer and begins "Once upon a time ..." and at some time uses a word from their cards, places it down and shouts next and the next player has to take the story on, remembering to use a word from their cards, and it continues until the buzzer goes. The player caught out by the buzzer picks up all the cards played and an extra from the pack and so it continues!
Smiley trump cards can be used as a word or can deflect the pile to the next player if you are caught talking at the buzzer; reverse direction card is obvious and changes the order of play.
The game is simple and easy to play but is actually much more fun than it sounds initially; played with a lively group of teens who engaged well. The buzzer is quite flimsy but you could play with a stopwatch, egg timer or another timing device, you can also add cards with longer words and maybe make new rules with the smiley trump card.
I think this could be used in classroom groups working on building on literacy skills, creativity and confidence in story telling and it can be used from young primary through teens and even for an alternative 'silly dinner game'!
Maybe not as beautifully presented as some games but enjoyable fun

A Place for Us Part 1
A Place for Us Part 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Might need concentration initially but builds into fascinating first part of this family saga, 8 Nov 2014
This is the first part of a family saga filled with secrets and intrigue. I must admit that I found the initial half of the book a little disjointed as I tried to piece together all the family connections as we jumped from one voice to another; we also jumped back in time for the back story on Daisy the enigmatic daughter, sister, mother and aunt. It is a book that needs concentration but as the story of Martha and David's family unfolds it becomes more and more engaging for the reader.
A party is being planned for Martha's birthday and everyone is invited but the official invites imply that this celebration might be a little bit different. The premise grips early on and as we meet a huge cast of characters, each with stories to tell, the ambition of this book series becomes clear.
Although I struggled initially I do find that Harriet Evans does create a believable family with many foibles, questions and threads to follow that I want to find out more about and hope to read the next part very soon.
It leaves on a classic cliffhanger that might not be unexpected but certainly sets up part 2

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20