Profile for Mrs Mac > Reviews

Content by Mrs Mac

Mrs Mac (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Under the Dome
Under the Dome
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent- I hope it sees the big screen!, 18 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Under the Dome (Paperback)
I'm a novice SK fan and it sounds like from what other reviewers have said this is the master at work again after a few disappointments! I find reviews extremely helpful as I find starting a new book can be a bit like trying to paddle in the sea in Scotland!! This had me hooked from the start and I got so involved with the charachters I could have been under the dome with them!It's quite thought provoking with good and bad and I so wanted the bad to get their come uppance. If you're unsure if this is the book for you don't be put off by suggestions the ending could've been better - I agree but it didn't stop me enjoying one of the best books I've read.

Plain Truth
Plain Truth
by Jodi Picoult

5.0 out of 5 stars Plain truth - I was hooked from the start - brilliant, 14 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Plain Truth (Paperback)
This was my first Jodi Picoult book (audio book)so a novice apart from seeing my sister's keeper film.
I was hooked right from the start with this story which I found the narrators brought to life brilliantly and helped me get totally absorbed.
I'm fairly new to audio books which I can't see past now but I have to play samples as some narrators do put me off

The Amish storyline was very insightful and intriguing and although I'd seen a very interesting documentary on TV recently about Amish teens our lack of familiarity to the culture in the UK isn't an obstacle to understanding and affinity.
Saying that -I could've had 'a word' with Katy's dad at times but that was his culture (and a wee bit of stubborn men being a pain in the backside! ha ha)
Ellie was a great character and I loved the progression of the Katy - Ellie relationship.
I was slightly apprehensive about what the end would bring after some reviews were disappointed but I had inkling throughout and was satisfied with the end.
I'm excited reading other reviews from JP fans that this isn't her best book and as I thought it was brilliant so I can't wait to listen to more!
I highly recommend this audio book and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks for audio books they are amazing - I love books but as a working mum with very little time for reading, audio books have been a god send and I can listen to them doing the chores, walking the dog, in the car and have even tuned in in tesco!!
I get so much more out of listening to a book than I have reading them over the years!

Secrets and Treasures Keepsake Box
Secrets and Treasures Keepsake Box

5.0 out of 5 stars A real treasure, 29 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Secrets and Treasures Keepsake Box
This is a little treasure, a beautiful box, easy assembled, sturdy and just what I was looking for. A lovely box for my daughter to keep her special things in, something to look back on for memories of her childhood. I've been looking for something special for a while and came accross this on amazon (the best retail treasure box!)It's beautifully designed and about the size of a large shoe box - not too big and not too small. This was our 1st Christmas without the magic of the big guy and I wanted to make it just as special so filled the box with lots of little special presents. My daughter was delighted and couldn't wait to put things in it. Excellent price for an excellent gift - everyone should have one!

The Exile (Outlander)
The Exile (Outlander)
by Diana Gabaldon

3.0 out of 5 stars Less novel than I thought -but beautiful book!, 29 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Exile (Outlander) (Hardcover)
I was realy excited to learn of The Exile being a massive fan of the series. I was looking forward to reading 'Jamie's side of the story' and the story brought to life in graphics. I was a wee bit disappointed that there was less novel than anticipated and I wasn't expecting a big novel as it was descirbed as a graphic novel. - Someone described it as a 'comic strip' and a kind of agree in parts!

Tough job to illstrate such well known characters as like me most avid fans will have a 'picure in mind' of what Jamie and Claire look like and graphic Jamie's not as nice as my boy and neither was 'comic strip' Claire! I don't mean to be disrespectfull to someone who is obviously a very talented artist as I did find a lot of the graphics very insightful so I suppose they didn't need words...

I'm not disappointed I bought the book it's a great addition to my library but fans beware so as not diasappointed - it's not a novel with pictures, it's a lot of lovely pictures with a little novel! It won't take long to 'read' but it's a beautiful book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2015 9:49 PM BST

The Great British Book of Baking: 120 best-loved recipes from teatime treats to pies and pasties
by Linda Collister

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great British Book of Baking, 17 Sept. 2010
I have a fair collection of recipe books and this is now my favourite - it has a variety of wonderful recipes, very informative with lots of handy tips and has fabulous photos - so we know what our finished result should look like!
So far so good, infact my own scones were maybe a bit of competititon!!..haha. In the few days since my book was delivered I've tried a good number of the receipes - I've never been tempted to do this as eagerly by a recipe book before.
I've been so far pleasantly surprised also with the results when putting aside my own favourite recipies to try the ones in the book for things like the scones,carrot cake, coffee cake etc.

I really enjoyed the tv series and pleased to see some of the wonderful recipes included but was slightly concerned before purchase by another review which expressed disappointment at not all of the recipes being included - the variety of other great recipes far outweighs this for me and I'm so glad I wasn't put off.
I will definately be purchasing more copies as gifts at a great price too.... Happy baking!

Luxury black & pink sleeve case for HP mini 110-1100 & HP mini 1000 vivienne tam edition 10.1 inch notebook laptop

5.0 out of 5 stars mini laptop case, 10 Sept. 2010
This is an excellent good quality laptop case perfect for the mini HP and a great price too. It's funky and my 12 year old was over the moon with it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars messenger bag, 10 Sept. 2010
I was looking for something a bit funky and different for my 12 year old daughter starting high school and loved this bag. My daughter was over the moon with it and received many compliments about it. It was spacious and had various diffrent compartments and a lovely wee purse to match. Unfortuntely our dog chewed the strap in a frenzy after hearing gunshots (we live in the country!)and being unable to get another the same and some other kids having the other designs of this style we've settled for a back pack in the range for now.
I'd recommend these bags and although design wise we prefer the messenger bag my daughter says the back pack has more room and doesn't appear as heavy when she has lots of school books to carry.

Magnus Magnusson's Family Quiz Book
Magnus Magnusson's Family Quiz Book
by Magnus Magnusson

3.0 out of 5 stars Family Quiz, 17 April 2009
I purchased this book to assist in compiling a fun family quiz thinking it would be ideal being a 'family quiz book'. I have to say that although it's a really good book and covers lots I couldn't find enough easy questions for the younger family members so had to source those elsewhere. Very imfomrative otherwise and I'd definatley recommend it.

Beetle Drive Game
Beetle Drive Game
Offered by FREEPOST TOYS

5.0 out of 5 stars Beetle Drive, 17 April 2009
This review is from: Beetle Drive Game (Toy)
This game is great family fun at an excellent price. Even if you're not familiar with 'Beetle Drive' I'd definately recommend you give it a go. The point system was slightly different to what we were used to playing from community events (ie 2 for a body instead of 6!) but we soon go over that.We introduced friends to it on a train journey to keep the kids amused and we were having so much fun everyone was intruiged to see what we were playing!I've since purchased more and will continue to do so as it's an ideal gift. Ideal Credit crunch fun!