Profile for Joanne Nock > Reviews

Content by Joanne Nock

Joanne Nock "wordperfect" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Catherine de Valois (The Legendary Women of World History Book 2)
Catherine de Valois (The Legendary Women of World History Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful short read, 11 Sep 2014
I was also given this as a review copy and enjoyed it very much. As with book 1, it is told as a "fireside story" in this case to Margaret Beaufort, wife of Edmund Tudor, Catherine's daughter in law. She was a character I knew a little about and the book was true to the facts.
Although she resisted, Catherine was forced into a marriage with the treacherous King Henry V of England as part of the peace process. She bore his only heir and forewarned of his death against the French if he continued to incite them.
The King's death brought more tribulations for Catherine, though she did find a degree of happiness.
As with Book 1, this is beautifully written and breaks history down into easy to read installments. These would be useful as supplementary study guides to give students an overview of the periods involved. I look forward to reading more from this author.

Boudicca: Britain's Queen of the Iceni (The Legendary Women of World History Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Whistle-stop tour, 11 Sep 2014
This was a review request and I genuinely liked it. Initially, I thought the writing was "child like", but as the story was being told as a fireside story from mother to daughter, then it was entirely apt and very clever to strip it back so far.
Book chronicles the adult life of Boudicca who escapes from a life of service to become Queen of the Iceni through a chance meeting in a Roman marketplace. Though, I have no doubt that she genuinely loved and respected her husband.

Following his death she was forced to watch the beating and rape of her daughters before refusing to give in even after a public flogging and taking on the battle to defend her people. A skilled politician she uses her and her daughters' suffering to whip up support in a cry to arms.

To conclude the book is beautifully written and an excellent way to engage people into history who may not have engaged before

We Bury the Landscape
We Bury the Landscape

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Concept, 28 July 2014
I was possibly not the best choice to review this book. Two things that are never going to be passions of mine are short story collections and art. This was a collection of short stories about famous paintings.
Generally I find short story collections frustrating as my interest is provoked and then in a chapter or so it's all over. In this collection sometimes just a paragraph. To me, if a concept is good enough for a story, then it deserves to be nurtured and developed into a longer story that I can engage with.
However, the task in hand requires me to review this particular collection. It's a fascinating concept to create brief stories or even just prose about key pieces of art. Some of the artists, even a heathen like me is familiar with and those stories resonated most. I think this collection would be perfect to wander around a gallery with it almost acting as a guide.
"The People Of The Farm" was my favourite piece, appealing to my slightly odd sense of humour, as did "The Bad Egg".
" The Self Portrait as a Skyscraper" a particular example of one I wanted to be extended.
Overall, I am glad that I read this as it's beautifully written, just not a fan of short story collections.

Illusive Intrusion
Illusive Intrusion

4.0 out of 5 stars A great debut novel, 8 July 2014
This was the first time I had encountered this particular author and I would be intrigued to read more from him. There were times that I felt as though I had to really concentrate to know exactly what was going on, it was almost too clever for me. Though happily, 2/3 of the way through everything falls into place as it draws to a conclusion. The book is set on Gran Canaria and the scene-setting was simply stunning. Although I've never visited that island, I have been to other Canary Islands and could picture the scenes vividly. The book centres around 2 sisters Niamh and Bianka and the leading man of Goyo. The sisters are brought to the Island as Niamh is an aspiring model and Goyo is the photographer commissioned to photograph her. As she is relatively young, older sister Bianka is dispatched as a chaperone.
Bianka was the character I liked the most. A strong woman, though not always in control of her thoughts/ emotions and often conflicted with herself. At times I almost sensed a resentment between the sisters, or at least a jealousy emanating from Bianka, but am not sure whether this was intentional or my over active imagination ? As for the leading man, also a complex character. A warm blooded, Spaniard who falls in love deeply and obsesses about his amour, though at times needed a little more backbone and was bullied by the girls.
There are some darker themes in the book and this was where I struggled to really comprehend what was going on, not knowing what exactly was reality or just drug induced paranoia. Or was that the author's intention all along ????

Dangerous Lady
Dangerous Lady

5.0 out of 5 stars The original and Best, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Dangerous Lady (Kindle Edition)
As far as I am aware, this was Ms Cole's debut novel, and in my opinion, her best. The Ryan family are without doubt the best characters she ever brought to life and my usual criticisms of Ms Cole going on too long and gratuitously racking up the violence did not apply in this case. Went straight on to the sequel, written 11 years later.

black dock charger for samsung galaxy 4, s4, s3, dock charger,desktop dock charger for samsung 4
Offered by PJP ELECTRONICS

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 2 July 2013
A reasonably priced product, but S3 does slide around a little in it and is very easy for the phone to fall out of.

The Billionaire's Daughter (Part 2): San Francisco Breeze (BDSM Erotic Romance)
The Billionaire's Daughter (Part 2): San Francisco Breeze (BDSM Erotic Romance)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lazy afternoons...., 2 July 2013
A great way to spend a rainy afternoon. A short story, part of a trilogy, was keen to read the rest.

DAB/FM Radio with Backlit LCD Clock Display in Arden Forest Wood
DAB/FM Radio with Backlit LCD Clock Display in Arden Forest Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product at a Fantastic price, 2 July 2013
There are pricier models on the market. I had never heard of this brand, it's a great looking product, very easy to set up and crystal clear.

Cast-iron Men
Cast-iron Men

5.0 out of 5 stars A great debut, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: Cast-iron Men (Kindle Edition)
This was great debut novel, Two strong, believable female leads battling against sexist, corruption and violence during Liverpool's Capital of Culture tenure. Most of the male characters are spineless or in someone's pocket. The significance of the title becomes apparent 3/4 of the way through and was simply breathtaking. I sat and reflected for a while on how the author arrived at that particular plot. The scene-setting is stunning. I knew all of the areas well, but a vivid picture was painted for those that didn't.

Citizen Women's Eco-Drive Riva Diamond Accented Watch #EW0894-57D
Citizen Women's Eco-Drive Riva Diamond Accented Watch #EW0894-57D

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic, 10 Oct 2011
This watch is sensational, the picture doesn't do it justice, just how beautiful it actually is. A little tricky to set, but that's only done once.

Page: 1 | 2