Profile for A. Gilmour > Reviews

Content by A. Gilmour

A. Gilmour "Allan G" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Closer [DVD] [2004] [2005]
Closer [DVD] [2004] [2005]
Dvd ~ Julia Roberts
Offered by Qoolist

4.0 out of 5 stars Are there people out there who are really like this?, 10 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Closer [DVD] [2004] [2005] (DVD)
First and foremost, I would like to say that I loved the movie. However, it does not compare to the stage version that I seen a few years back at the Edinburgh fringe. One fundamental would be the Jude Law and Julia Roberts characters, I felt they relied far too much on their "Star Quality", especially Roberts, I think she thought "I know, I think I'm going to turn up today and say the lines... and thats it". There was no character, no pathos. Law faired slightly better, but only slightly. Whereas in the stage version, you get the characters raw and you can read them more clearly than you can on screen, or maybe the actors I seen on stage were just better. When watching the movie you can tell that it is a stage play. The sets could easily be on stage and the script has play written all over it. For me the movie belongs to Portman and Owen, who steal all scenes they are in, and the scenes with them together are electric with chemistry. You can tell that they actually prepared for the role. It is a great movie that, at points, makes you feel uncomfortable, because you do realise that this is in fact the world we live in, and people like this actually do exist. But do you still empathise with them... I do, kind of.