Profile for Mark Renshaw > Reviews

Mark Renshaw

Which Lie Did I Tell?
Which Lie Did I Tell?
by William Goldman

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest assessment of screenwriting in Hollywood from a guy who cares about stories, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Which Lie Did I Tell? (Paperback)
I’ve read a few screenwriting books now and some seem to be by guys who have written scripts I’ve never heard of. Others constantly reference the one or two minor successes they’ve achieved.

William Goldman has a proven track record over several decades and they are filled with quality movies and books. This is a man who cares about telling a good story filled with quality characters. All this comes across really well in the book ‘What Lie Did I Tell?’

If you are expecting a book about script formatting or how to write a script that is ‘guaranteed to sell!’ this is not that type of book. Instead it’s an honest recollection of William’s magically weird and whacky adventures in Hollywood, the projects he’s worked on; the successes and the failures. There’s plenty of examples to learn from both good and bad. It’s entertaining, heartfelt and honest and I learned a lot.

How Not to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make
How Not to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make
by Denny Martin Flinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of great tips for newbies like myself, 31 Jan. 2014
I've been dabbling in writing scripts for a while, picked up a lot of bad habits and made loads of mistakes. This book has put me on the right track and taught me so much of what I was doing wrong. I've a long way to go but this was a great start.

Not only does it tell you the common mistakes it shows you through example how scripts then get it right. Highly recommended

Doctor Who - The Complete Series 8 [DVD] [2014]
Doctor Who - The Complete Series 8 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Peter Capaldi

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I chewed my own foot off, 31 Jan. 2014
The first episode 'Long Tea Break of the Doctor' was a bit disappointing, although the new enemy race 'The Pancreas' look promising. Things really kick in a gear in episode 2 “Carry on Doctor” and Matron really seems like the new River Song but with more smut.

EP 3 is a tear jerker “Doctor, Doctor I think I'm a Pair of Curtains!' – It was tough to see the Cybermen being replaced by new improved Apple iCybermen. I thought it was a bit Deus Ex Machina for the Doctor to beat them by uploading Candy Crush into their Hive database though.

Ep 4,5,6,7,8,9 & 10, 11 and 12 is the first time 'modern' Who has done a long multi-episode arc and about time too. 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' sees the Doctor stuck on a Games show planet where all is not as it seems. Actually it is, every episode sees the Doctor traversing through a game show, I didn't see the point really. The Daleks were fun to watch in Jeopardy. Every 'question' to the answer was Exterminate. And Blockbuster was hilarious “I'll have a P please Master!” lol!

The final episode was a big surprise. SPOILER ALERT for those who haven't already gone forward in time to watch it. “Knock Knock Who's Bare?” sees the Doctor in a nudist colony for the Slitheen. That's the first time I've hidden behind the couch since I was a kid, it was disgusting! But of course the big shock was when the Doctor regenerated into an Adipose. I didn't see that coming at all!

I can't wait to go forward in time to watch the next season, as soon as I get some fuel for Mr. Fusion. Anyone got a banana skin they don't need?