Profile for Rachel > Reviews

Rachel

Jon Richardson - Nidiot Live [DVD] [2014]
Jon Richardson - Nidiot Live [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Jon Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wit, charm and intelligence from a very likeable comedian, 2 Jun 2014
Jon hasn’t even recorded this DVD yet [as at June 2014] but having been lucky enough to catch his ‘Nidiot’ tour in Harrogate on Good Friday, I think I can safely say that it will definitely be worth adding to the Christmas list. Comedy, it has to be conceded, is down to individual taste (though quite how anyone finds Russell Brand remotely funny still eludes my comprehension), but if you like Jon Richardson on ‘8 Out of 10 Cats’ and/or you enjoyed his debut DVD ‘Funny Magnet’ then this, his second, is unlikely to disappoint you.

In Harrogate Jon was keen to inform the audience early on of his wish for us to like him, as much as to laugh, even pausing occasionally during the set to remind us: “Do like me”! Well, I can’t speak for everyone, but I was certainly happy to comply with this instruction and, judging by the warm response from the packed Royal Hall audience, so were plenty of other people. Maybe he doesn’t exactly deliver a barrage of hilarious one-liners (try Tim Vine or Milton Jones if that’s what you’re wanting) but his exchange of friendly banter with the audience, and his gentle meandering through a series of amusing anecdotes, made it feel like spending an agreeable evening in the company of a friend. A witty, charming and intelligent friend at that. The subject matter seemed to reflect the advent of a new phase in Jon’s life, in which he appears to be slightly bemused by accidentally discovering pockets of happiness here and there, through a range of experiences including a trip to America with friends and in particular the arrival of a girlfriend. This last is a situation which Jon appears to still not quite believe, although it can come as little surprise to his legions of female fans.

For anyone who was concerned about Jon after reading his book ‘It’s Not Me, It’s You’, it will be reassuring to discover that he seems to have moved on, is enjoying the positive aspects of being in a relationship, and is – of course – still smiling. But does this mean that he is now short of material for his stand-up routines? Not so far, it would seem. The obsessive compulsive tendencies that endear him to so many of us are still reassuringly evident; he is still the same Jon, with plenty to fret about for our comic entertainment. As someone who has also used the phrase “Come back, I haven’t finished yet”, in an instructional conversation about the correct operation of a dishwasher, I can relate all too readily to some of the frustrations that Jon goes through: sometimes I am so busy mentally agreeing with him that I almost forget to laugh.

But enough of my waffle..........just remember to buy the DVD. It’s (going to be) excellent.

Sean Lock - Live [DVD]
Sean Lock - Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Lock
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: Sean Lock - Live [DVD] (DVD)
Sean Lock is simply brilliant, I thoroughly enjoyed this DVD and would recommend it to anyone with any sort of sense of humour. Lots of original and offbeat stuff. There are few comedians who can match Sean's ability to get me falling off the chair with laughter, he is great on 8 out of 10 cats too and having loved this DVD I will probably have to look out for 'Lockipedia' as well now.

Jon Richardson - Funny Magnet [DVD]
Jon Richardson - Funny Magnet [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable, I will watch it again and again!, 20 Nov 2012
If you've had a bad (s****y) day at the office working with people you don't like, there's no need to get yourself a bowl of Viennetta and chips to cheer yourself up!! Just put on a copy of this DVD and you will soon have a smile on your face. This is intelligent and wise comedy, if (sadly) mainly not suitable for my kids. (They can watch the bit about household chores though, they might even learn something....!) Congratulations on a great show, Jon (always a chance you might read this some time?) and thank you for lots of great entertainment and for your honesty and integrity about life. I hope you will keep writing, keep touring (I promise I will come and see your live show next year if you are on ANYWHERE in the UK) and keep brightening up my evenings by being adorable on 8 out of 10 Cats.