ARRAY(0xaeb31018)

Profile for mark mccloy > Reviews

Content by mark mccloy

mark mccloy

8 Inch High Quality Neoprene Tablet Netbook Protective Case Sleeve Pouch - Suitable for all makes and models

5.0 out of 5 stars ideal for momo8 bird, 10 Jun 2012
Bought a momo8 bird from GTR and GTR have followed up with this case.

A short (but non exhaustive search) of other covers showed there was not one that seemed the correct form factor, that was gauranteed to be correct..

ideal for momo8 bird, thanks gary.

Good price, quick delivery, good product.

Ployer Momo8 Bird Tablet PC - 8 Inch Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) - 1024 * 768 Capacitive 5 Point Touch Screen, 1.6GHz Processor, 8GB storage, 1GB DDR3 Memory, Ultra Thin, 9.7mm design - 3D Output - Flash 11.1 - New Google Play installed - All iPlayers and Flash Content Compatible - 1.3MP Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars two weeks of my usage, this is exactly what i wanted... update added 26/06/12 at bottom, plus update 2 10/7/2012, 4 Jun 2012
(Note UPDATE 26/06/12 at bottom)
(Note UPDATE 2 10/07/12 at very bottom)

I received this player 22 may from GTR Electonics, a few days ahead of the estimated delivery time. Well done to them.

I have now had time to size up how this momo8 bird fits up against my usage.

Tablet feels good and came well packaged with nearly everything i needed.

I added a mini-hdmi to hdmi and a 16gb micro sdhc card and a case is now winging its way here from GTR. Micro SDHC was a Sandisk Micro Secure Digital (MicroSDHC) Memory Card - 16GB - Class 4, works fine.

My usage is :
Primarily, during a 1 hour commute each day, using mobile internet through phone and watching stored video downloads.
Secondary, while sitting on the SOFA, using internet through WIFI.
Tertiary, the occasional use while away from routine days on holiday/work away from home.

Primary usage is very good for me, screen is good and catching up on blogs/forums/news is quick. I have been using the tablet from standby and then doing a quick refresh of some open pages, this is proving very good. I am also getting three days usage out of a single charge, i.e. 6 1-hour commutes before a recharge is required, the other time being spent in standby. Its size is good for going in my rucksack, big enough, not too big, not too heavy. One small snag on the primary usage is loss of mobile internet connection I will explain more at end, and i think is outside of the momo8 bird tablet and is a phone problem.

Secondary usage is also top notch, using a few apps, bbc iplayer, blogs/forum/surfing/email. Also with my house WIFI I have experienced no wifi drop outs what so ever. Comfortable to hold and use for reasonably long periods.

Tertiary usage is not really being experimented with too much yet, but videos and other items i download whether it be iplayer or youtube plays straightaway through the TV through HDMI. I will try some skype out soon when skypeing my dad to his great grand daughter.

All this came straight out the box, and worked fine.

When first used the google play needed an update, went through without a hitch and is very good,

Application installation has been fine and as a previous non android user, i am picking up the way that androind 4.0 ice cream sandwich works.

Installed a few different web browsers, settled on the dolphin HD one, seems best, not picked out a new virtual keyboard yet, though that is coming.

Have installed a few varied apps and a mate has pointed me towards fruit ninja which shows the speed and usability for the tablet for games and the accuracy of the touch screen.

On expermiment I have found the front camera and sound to be fine, and I have even used the web voice search on dolphin and found it to be quite decent!!

So super pleased with my purchase, glad i deliberated and procrastinated for about three months and then settled on this. For what I paid (110 total inc delivery) from GTR this is a great purchase.

The support from GTR has been excellent.

Overall it is actually way above me expectations (which were high) and I am delighted.

Will heartily recommend this to others, only caution is to make sure that for your PERSONAL usage this product is a good fit. Though this would apply if you were paying 400 for a tablet, 4000 for a holiday or 100000 for a house.

Back to the snag....
This may be a lack of understanding and i have not attempted to use the extensive android forums to establish if there is a simple fix. The mobile internet dropouts, now I have a symbian phone and with jokiuspot (the best wifi hotspot app apparently) has an encrypted mode. As my usage would frequently be in a public place i decided to use encryption.

All seemed ok, then i experienced a few dropouts on commutes, maybe once in the day, not sure what the trigger is. Connection to mobile wifi hot spot could be re-established ok. Not a great bother for my usage, just niggly. I have been looking into it and symbian need "root" access on the tablet to make an ad-hoc wi-fi connection (all symbian phones need an application to be a wi-fi hotspot), the momo8 bird is rooted, so the tablet is making this connection fine. I think it is the phone that is at issue (no problems with my home WI-FI) and there may be a work around, like a new application for making mobile connections better, but I have not got a solution yet only the workaround of reconnect. It could also be the network provider.

If I find a solution I will post an update.

The snag would not put me off another purchase at all though.

Well happy customer, thanks GTR for steering me in this direction!

UPDATE 26/06/12.....

Well investigations show mobile WIFI mobile dropouts seem to be due to WIFI on symbian, being of AD-HOC WIFI connection rather than INFRASTRUCTURE WIFI connections. A new phone is one the imminent horizion, so when this changed and tested this may improve. It seems NOT to be the MOMO8 Bird.

Unexpectedly i have found myself watching stored videos on commutes more often and this has been going very well. Have become that immersed I have nearly missed my stop!!

Note after some support from Gary I updated the FIRMWARE, bit scary updating but went fine if I followed Garys instructions.
Finally, I have installed more games than planned - especially for kids to play - and only considering the free ones these are very good and some are very educational, good for a quiet hour early on a sunday morning while allowing everyone else to have a lie in and piece.

UPDATE 2 10/07/12.....

Well on new phone (HTC ONE V) and new MOMO 8 BIRD firmware version 4.0.4 now.

Mobile WIFI has no disconnects on my travels from my phone... so problem was definitely the phone.

Firmware also seems to make phone generally more responsive in general than before. Notably i experienced the occasional uncommanded back command, now not experiencing this at all.

so, new fimrware has made a great tablet even better...
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2012 8:15 PM BST