Profile for ophser > Reviews

Content by ophser

ophser (Kent, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Faerie Blood: An Urban Fantasy Novel (The Changeling Chronicles Book 1)
Faerie Blood: An Urban Fantasy Novel (The Changeling Chronicles Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid start to a new series, 9 May 2016
As the first book in a new series, this was a solid start. Full of action with well thought out scenes and a good ending leaving a completed story but with enough open threads for the next book. The writing style flows well without any dreaded editing errors that I could spot. This is a world with faeries, mages, witches, ghosts, shifters and even hellhounds but it doesnt feel like there are too many types of supernatural creatures. Looking forward to the next in the series.

Midnight Falls (Sky Brooks Series Book 3)
Midnight Falls (Sky Brooks Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Series just keeps getting better!, 20 Sept. 2015
Well this was such a pleasant surprise. Having read books 1 and 2, I knew I was going to enjoy this one. What I didn't expect was not being able to put the book down and basically resenting having to go in to work for the day! Ms Hunter's development of the characters in her book is so satisfying. Skylar is a heroine you'd quite like to meet. There are moments when you want to shake her and say 'no' don't go making deals with questionable characters but you kind of understand why she does it and she protects those she cares about fiercely even if they belong to a werewolf pack she doesn't quite trust. Sorry. No spoilers here! As far as Ethan the pack Beta is concerned, his character is so complex that he is still an enigma wrapped within an enigma. Ms Hunter has a true talent with storytelling and knows how to weave a good plot, drop hints of further discoveries to come, hidden power and emerging conflicts. All the secondary characters are well developed so you don't just feel like you're reading about just a few main individuals but you get to understand their interactions with each other. I haven't been getting that in a lot of books I've been reading lately. I finished this book with a big fat satisfied smile on my face so Ms Hunter, THANK YOU! Please write the next one faster...!

Red Angel (Bo Blackman Book 4)
Red Angel (Bo Blackman Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bo Blackman series book 4 and going strong., 4 July 2015
Book 4 and still enjoying Bo's exploits. This is my least favourite in the series as sometimes Bo's stubborn attitude where Michael Monserrat is concerned borders on the childish. I did get a bit bored too with the whole Tobias Renfrew investigation but was left curious enough about the Kakos Demon's plan for Bo to still be looking forward to book 5! This one still warrants a 4 star review though so rock on Ms Harper!

Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1)
Dire Straits (Bo Blackman Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written new series by Helen Harper., 4 July 2015
This was a really good start to a new series. I look forward to Helen Harper's book releases and this didn't disappoint. The main character, Bo Blackman is the usual urban fantasy heroine, snarky but courageous with it and the background plot follows through nicely. Well rounded supporting characters too and properly edited. Thank you Ms Harper for that! No bad grammar here! At the time of writing, I've read all the 4 books in this series and have liked each one.

Keepers & Killers (The Alchemy Series Book 2)
Keepers & Killers (The Alchemy Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging storyline, 20 Jan. 2014
This novel is the second in the Alchemy series with The Keepers being the first. I really enjoyed reading this and downloaded the next one straight after. The premise is unusual in that this deals with supernatural abilities on the part of the protagonist such as controlling wormholes but it is definitely not science fiction. It stays firmly in the urban fantasy genre with a strong romantic thread that is drawn our nicely. It develops very well from the first and the author keeps you amused especially with the tense and verbal volleyball type interactions between Jo and Cormac yet continues to ramp up the tension and impending danger.

Chained by Darkness: Book 2.5 (Sensor Series)
Chained by Darkness: Book 2.5 (Sensor Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Excellent, excellent!, 20 Jan. 2014
I waited avidly for this next instalment in the Sensor Series hoping that I wouldn't be disappointed particularly as it is not very long. Amazingly, despite the short length of this book it packs a particularly huge punch. I absolutely loved it and would give it 6 stars if I could which is unusual for me as I have to consider a book near perfect to give it 5 stars.

Chained by Darkness tell the story from Lucas' point of view rather than Melena as in the first two full length novels since it covers the period Lucas is taken away. I won't say more as I don't want to spoil it for those of you who may not have yet read Darkness Haunts and Darkness Taunts - books 1 and 2 but this is not a book to skip as Chained by Darkness moves the story along significantly. All I can say is please go out and get them all. If a well written, plot driven, urban fantasy with a strong female lead as well as a charismatic male protagonist, an unrushed romance, well-developed secondary characters all wrapped up in an intriguing storyline with excellent world-building is your thing, then stop reading this now and go buy all three and start reading straight away. They are that good.

Susan Illene is right at the top of my favourite authors list. At this point, I would probably buy any book with her name on it before even bothering to read the summary and that is saying a lot for me. Next book pleeeeeeeease Ms Illene!

Fire Within (Guardian Witch Book 2)
Fire Within (Guardian Witch Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars rather disappointing, 25 Nov. 2013
For some reason, I just started losing interest. I really wanted to like this series especially as the first novel showed promise. Although this second novel seems to promise tense action, it's really mostly a long narrative of the ongoing investigation to find the perpetrator behind a series of vampire murders. Some of the more interesting plot lines like Ari's witch background and the reason for her magic bond with Andreas are repeatedly mentioned but not developed. I guess the author was keeping this as a hook for future novels in the series but at this point, I barely care. There is little need for the one of the main male characters, Andreas, to even be a vampire as his strength though regularly alluded to is rarely exhibited. No blood drinking, hardly mention of a fang or anything else you might expect. Now, normally This wouldn't necessarily put me off an urban fantasy novel with a vampire in it so long as there's an interesting alternative angle. There isn't. Not sure I will be carrying on with this series.

Bloodlust (Blood Destiny Book 5)
Bloodlust (Blood Destiny Book 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars a very satisfying finish, 10 Oct. 2013
This fifth and final book tied up the loose ends very nicely maintaining the action and steady pace throughout. I like it when authors don't drag a series on endlessly. I look forward tomHelen Harper's next book. Her writing style is fluid, full of well rounded characters and with a good dose of humour in the right places to balance out the tense action parts. She's definitely on my auto buy authors list.

A Demon Bound (Imp Series Book 1)
A Demon Bound (Imp Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars an unusual surprise, 5 Oct. 2013
I started this book half-heartedly, convinced I'd really end up disliking it. I've never read an urban fantasy where the main protagonist is a demon and I thought I wasn't going to get past the dodgy moral code. Well I got a pleasant surprise. I loved this book and have barely done anything around the house since I started reading. It even has a lot of laugh out loud moments. The characters are really well fleshed out and I ended up really liking Sam even despite her impish ways. My favourite are the conversations with the AngelGregory and his constant threat to kill her. Maybe he'll even eventually get around to it. I look forward

Darkness Taunts: Book 2 (Sensor Series)
Darkness Taunts: Book 2 (Sensor Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars a new one for my auto buy list, 11 Sept. 2013
This book is even better than the first. All the characters are well rounded and the pace moves smoothly. This is urban fantasy the way I like it. Lots of action, strong but subtly done romantic development and characters I can relate To. Well, except I don't have supernatural powers! The only thing I don't like is having to wait for the next book in the series to come out.

Page: 1 | 2