Profile for lucember > Reviews

Content by lucember

lucember

Reason to Breathe (The Breathing Series #1)
Reason to Breathe (The Breathing Series #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-breaking, 5 Dec. 2011
This book broke my heart. Actually more than once.

I loved it, it was amazingly well written and believable, I fell in love with the main characters, and was rooting for Emma right from the start. The ending, as others have said, was shocking and unsatisfying - but with an eagerly awaited sequel to come, it was also appropriate that everything wasn't finished up neatly with all the loose ends tucked in and tied up with a big bow. Emma's story just wasn't like that - real life isn't like that. The good guys don't always win and even when people mean well, they can't always help you to make the right decision.

The subject matter is uncomfortable - it's difficult to read about someone being abused and not want to reach into the book and pull them out to a safe place - but it's not done in an overly graphic or exploitative way. And at the heart of it all is an amazing story of love and hope, and how resilient the human spirit really can be.

A stunning book, which I would recommend to anyone - just have a box of tissues handy.

I can't wait for the sequel!

Forever Mine (The Moreno Brothers)
Forever Mine (The Moreno Brothers)

4.0 out of 5 stars Proof-read?, 3 Dec. 2011
First off, the plot of this book is good, the characters easy to identify with and I would recommend it - on the one condition that you are not, like me, put off by an apparent lack of proof-reading before publishing.

The layout of the book is odd, to say the least, with random indentation and blank lines, as well as the odd completely blank page that had me flicking back and forth on my kindle, wondering if I had missed something. Worse than that though was the appalling punctuation - with blatant misuse of apostrophes (something that I'm afraid I can't help seeing, and distracts me becasue it drags me out of the story). There are also numerous occasions when a full stop breaks up what should be a longer sentence, making it read in a very jerky way.

I know this is nit-picking, and believe me, if it had been the odd mistake I might have been able to ignore it, but it continues throughout the book, and unfortunately spoiled my enjoyment somewhat. But hey, that's just me.

The story itself, as I mentioned before, is good. The idea of a girl with a friend who is a boy and neither of them are interested in each other in "that" way, is quite rare in romantic fiction; and as someone who has just such a friend, it's always interesting watching a potential boyfriend's reaction to the existing relationship. I liked the fact that there was no hint that Sarah or Sydney ever wanted anything more out of the friendship.

A number of the secondary characters (who get their own stories later in the series) are interesting and punctuation errors not withstanding, I will be reading the rest of the books in the series to find out what happens with them.

There are mentions of a physical relationship - nothing explicit or tastelessly done, but also nothing I would want my 11 year-old daughter reading either. (Although at least the characters are responsible, so maybe when she's a little older!)

If you're looking for a good romantic novel with engaging characters and a believable plot-line, and you can overcome the typos, I would heartily recommend this book - and for the price it's a steal.

Flat-Out Love
Flat-Out Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Flat-Out Love (Kindle Edition)
This utterly brilliant book is engaging, funny and touching in equal measure. I actually guessed the twist pretty early on, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story in any way. The author has created quirky, well-rounded characters and a clever believable plot - read this book, you won't regret it.

Unlovable (Contemporary YA Fiction) (The Port Fare Series Book 1)
Unlovable (Contemporary YA Fiction) (The Port Fare Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gut-wrenching, 2 Dec. 2011
There are issues with this book - minor issues like tense confusion and the odd sentence making very little sense (think the episode of Friends where Joey uses a thesauras and you get the idea). However none of that detracts from what essentially is a gut-wrenching and powerful book with an amazing love story and the potential to be a new favourite series.

The description of Maggie's relationship with her mother is heart-breaking and horribly believable, and the development of her relationship with Seth is touching. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and can't wait for the second book.

Heart on a Chain
Heart on a Chain

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and beautiful, 29 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Heart on a Chain (Kindle Edition)
I can't remember the last time I cried while reading a book, or sat with one hand covering my mouth in shock - with this book I did both.

The story is beautifully told, and within a few pages I felt I knew the characters really well. It's not easy reading - it deals with sensitive subjects like abuse and bullying - but it's worthwhile, and stays with you long after you've finished reading.

I can't recommend this book highly enough, but be prepared to go on an emotional roller-coaster while reading it.

Cross My Heart
Cross My Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, brilliant book, 27 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Cross My Heart (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely adored this book. Having read other reviews, I must admit I was slightly skeptical - could it possibly be as good as all these people said. No, it wasn't - it was so much better.

As soon as I realised that they were reading Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton, I downloaded it from Amazon (for free) and read it before going any further with Cross my Heart - it's a fairly short book and I read it in one evening. It's really not completely necessary as Jaden gives a handy summary of the main plot points, but (seeing the parallels with Jaden here), I'm a bit of a literary nerd, and like to be prepared. It's just a personal choice though - I don't think you would lose any enjoyment of Cross My Heart if you hadn't read Ethan Frome.

There is a genius plot twist, which I honestly did not see coming, that was so good I think I'm going to have to re-read it (even though I just finished it!) to see if I can spot any clues that I clearly missed the first time.

To say anymore would be to ruin the book for others, and I wouldn't want to deprive anyone else of the joy of reading this book. I loved it, loved it, loved it, and would recommend it to anyone who likes a good read with believable characters, a brilliant plot and an amazing twist.

Beautiful Disaster
Beautiful Disaster

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, but..., 23 Nov. 2011
First of all, it's important that I stress that I did love this book. The story was well told, the relationship all too believable and the characters consistent and well-drawn.

However. The relationship between the two main characters of this book goes so far beyond dysfunctional, it teeters on the edge of being abusive. That feeling as a teenager or a young adult that possessiveness equals love and jealousy is proof of that love, is portrayed so well that at times I found the book disturbing. And to be fair, that is part of the genius of this author. Some of the scenes made me want to cover my eyes or look away, or to bang their heads together to try and get them to see sense - that's how believable the writing is.

There were a number of typos - which to an obsessive compulsive like me can be irritating - but that's a minor criticism of a book that ultimately is absorbing, thought-provoking and an excellent protrayal of one of the most dysfunctional relationships I've ever read about in a YA romance.

Going Too Far
Going Too Far

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, touching, memorable, 23 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Going Too Far (Kindle Edition)
Being the sad superficial being I am, I was first attracted to this book by the cover - having never learned the old "never judge a book.." adage. I wasn't disappointed. This is an amazing love story, touching, beautifully and believably written, that stays with you long after you've finished it.

The way the writer shows us the relationship developing sucks the reader in, and makes the book unputdownable (and I don't care if that's not a word, it should be).

I don't want to give a synopsis of the book, as it would be too easy to give something away that the reader should find out as the author intended. I just wanted to say that this is a fantastic book, and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good story, well told.

The Splendour Falls
The Splendour Falls
by Rosemary Clement-Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked from the start, 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Splendour Falls (Paperback)
I basically picked this book because I liked the cover and the synopsis of the story. I read a lot of YA, especially supernatural-type stuff, despite being in my 30's. I guess I never grew up.

This book hooked me right from the start. As another reviewer pointed out, there is less of the "new person in town, fitting in" stuff taking up the space of the real story, which is great. Introductions are made quickly and then we move on.

The story isn't especially fast-paced but at no point did I feel it was dragging. I thought the historical detail added a lot to the plot, and my knowledge of the history of the Southern States of the US is sketchy at best.

Finally, ohmygod - one of the main characters is Welsh! I loved that. A lot of Americans seem to think the Wales is just part of England (I believe the Scottish suffer the same prob) and this author was at pains to point out that Rhys was from Wales, a separate country with it's own history and legends. Traditional stereotypes of Welsh men tend to stick to the hard-drinking rugby playing thug, so it was nice that Rhys was more academic and actually good looking.

Oh and btw - to the reviewer who said that no-one under the age of 40 calls people "Love" as a term of endearment - here in Cardiff we use it all the time, from a young age Love!