Profile for Amy > Reviews

Amy (London, UK)

Yamaha PDX50GR Grey AirWired iPod Speaker  System
Yamaha PDX50GR Grey AirWired iPod Speaker System

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work with my Third Generation iPod Touch, 18 Jan 2013
Basically not compatible with all iPods. Good sound though when hooked up with a compatible product. Looks quite nice too.

French Kissing
French Kissing
by Catherine Sanderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Readable BUT boring plot, some pretty terrible writing and a couple of disturbing moments, 11 Sep 2009
This review is from: French Kissing (Paperback)
I have followed Catherine's blog for several years - the blog is well written and her style of writing suits that medium. Translated to a full on memoir (as in her previous book) this style of writing seemed stilted and self indulgent and now as "novel" I found her writing amateurish and, to be frank, quite bad. The concept of this "work of fiction" is essentially familiar to anyone who has read her blog - i.e. about a woman with a four year old child looking for love on dating websites. I don't think anyone who has read her previous book or the blog will be able to distinguish this as fictional story - it seems to me she's just changed a few names,and created another self indulgent diatribe on way it was okay to split up a family and remove a toddler from her father.

In terms of the actual writing - there is zero character development; essentially only one character is understandable (Sally), yet she is an incredibly unsympathetic character. She sounds like a crazy, self obsessed alcoholic and stalker most of the time. The men that Sally falls in and out of lust with are never explained (I think she falls for one guy because he has grey hair. At least I think that's why. Sanderson never goes into any details). Sally's friends are bit parts used to demonstrate that the world revolves around her.

The book seems to not have any clear definition: cover and title clearly chick lit material, but the book was just depressing and the plot uninteresting. I'm not a fan of this genre in general, but I think Catherine Sanderson needs to read some more Marian Keyes if she wants to become a proper novellist. Though I do doubt whether she'll get an advance for another to write another book after this effort.

Finally a word of warning, there is a scene which is meant to read as a close-to-rape encounter. It is offensive to anyone that has ever been sexually assaulted or know someone that has been. I was disgusted by it.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2009 8:31 AM GMT

Petite Anglaise
Petite Anglaise
by Catherine Sanderson

1.0 out of 5 stars She's about as sympathetic as Ulrika Johnsson., 15 July 2009
This review is from: Petite Anglaise (Paperback)
Well she can string two sentences together - but the whole thing smacks of someone trying too hard to justify their life choices. After reading it I felt rather disgusted with myself; of all the wonderful literary choices I could have made I wasted hours reading about a self absorbed narcissistic nightmare of a woman. It's not chick lit, it is actually quite a dark book about a woman who ruins peoples lives after making very poor decisions. Horrible.