Profile for Brian Babcock > Reviews

Content by Brian Babcock

Brian Babcock "LimpTallica" (Burlington, ON)

Planet of the Apes: 5-Movie Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] [1968]
Planet of the Apes: 5-Movie Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] [1968]
Dvd ~ Charlton Heston
Price: 13.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought this due to the original film..., 2 Dec 2011
I live in Canada, and surprisingly enough, it's actually cheaper to buy a lot of the boxed sets off Amazon.uk than it is to buy it off Amazon.ca, and Planet of the Apes was no exception. In Canada, to buy these movies individually is about $10-$15 per movie. To buy this boxed set is about $65 Canadian. To buy it off amazon.uk is 16.97 which after tax, shipping and everything works out to about $28 Canadian...pretty much a no-brainer.

I had only seen the original 1968 POTA once when I was a teenager and despite it being a cheesy old sci-fi film I really enjoyed it. So starting the blu-rays in order, the original POTA looked relatively sharp for such an old movie, some scenes looked brand new, while others still had a bit of grain. I started to notice that the decline in the quality of the movies, there was also a decline in the quality of the blu-rays. Each film got more and more ridiculous and the transfers seemed less and less impressive. There were quite a few wide shots that seemed discoloured and the farther towards the edges of the frame, the blurrier it got. It was very distracting.

All-in-all, I wasn't expecting a superb digital restoration like Aliens for these movies, and can't argue with the price. Though I was a little disappointed with the visual quality of the later installments. That being said I only bought this set for the original and got the four extra movies as a bonus.