Profile for S. Bateman > Reviews

Content by S. Bateman

S. Bateman (Surrey, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Cat Is Out
The Cat Is Out
Offered by DVDMAX-UK
Price: 27.28

3.0 out of 5 stars It must be just me!, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Cat Is Out (Audio CD)
I own all Judie's albums and I know people absoluitely love this album, but it probably my least played of hers. In my opinion the good songs are very good, but the less memorable ones are, in Judie's strong catalogue terms, are just a bit bland. Don;t lynch me please, but if you don;t know her material and are looking to get acquainted with her music, I might not start here.

The Secret of Movin' on
The Secret of Movin' on
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.21

5.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Secret of Movin' on (Audio CD)
After my disappointment at his solo album 'Anywhere you go' this feels like it's in a different class. Some really strong songs, confident performances and some great guest vocals, like Ann Wilson on the title track. This is much more of what I was hoping from as an Ambrosia fan. Just for good measure, Pack re-visits two of his Ambrosia penned numbers, too, but you can forgive him his indulgence, as these still sound fresh and relevant amongst his new collection of songs. A very satisfying album indeed.

Anywhere You Go
Anywhere You Go

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for Ambrosia Fans, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Anywhere You Go (Audio CD)
Love this guy's vocals. Love his song writing. Normally, that is. This is just too pop orientated for me, and also sounds very stuck in it's time period in terms of sounding dated Struggled through it a few times before consigning it to the back of my CD collection. Fortunately his other solo album 'Secret of moving on is on another planet, in terms of being everything you'd hope for in a David Pack album. Buy that one and you won't be disappointed.

Fanatic Live From Caesars Collosseum (Cd+dvd)
Fanatic Live From Caesars Collosseum (Cd+dvd)
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 13.20

4.0 out of 5 stars All's well that ends well, 10 Jun 2014
When I first played this my heart sank. The sound quality on the first track is pretty awful. Fortunately it gets better almost immediately. It ends up being a fine live recording overall, and a great update of ther live offering. The DVD is excellent, though obviously with the same worrying beginning in terms of the sound mix

Vagabond
Vagabond
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Class, class and more class, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Vagabond (Audio CD)
I always though she was a classy performer, with fantastic songwriting choices, but this is rediculasly good. Sort of what you've come to expect from recent albums, only more so. Proper grown-up good.

Last Dance
Last Dance

3.0 out of 5 stars Where old meets new?, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Last Dance (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Ken's music for longer that I can remember. This isn't his best collection of songs, but it's not his worst either. There are some very good tracks here, but also what feel like a couple of 'fillers.' In terms of a chronolical feel, the tracks feel like they could have been written many tears apart. So a couple feel like 'Heep cast-offs' and a couple that are too fixed soundwise in the 80's. But there are some truly fresh sounding songs as well - easily enough to make me glad I bought it. It's a safe purchase for those who know and love Ken's output, but maybe not the first choice for those wanting an interoduction to his solo work that is a 100% satisfying album.

Bedsit Disco Queen: How I grew up and tried to be a pop star
Bedsit Disco Queen: How I grew up and tried to be a pop star
by Tracey Thorn
Price: 7.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you might expect from Tracey Thorn, 5 Jun 2014
This is my third music biography after Heart and Kate Bush, and I wasn't disapointed. I'd heard Tracey do a couple of radio interviews back in the early days of ETGB, so was able to read the entire book as though with her speaking voice. Though I didn't know a lot about her as a person, the whole easy tone of the book - the honesty, self-depraction and humour helped you get the feel that you have gotten to know her. I was lucky enough to get into Thorns music quite early on, after the two Marine Girls albums, a Distant Shore and ETGB's first single, and basically grew up with the band and it's output. So like other's, reading Tracey's journey did bring back lots of memories of my own teens, through my 20's, 30's and 40's. There are some great anecdotes here, plus some great insights into the whole music biz crazyness. There are some real laugh out loud moments. I lost interest in her musical output when the whole dance mix thing kicked in, but this book has encouraged me to go back and listen to that with fresh ears. I think I now have a chance of catching up with where she's moved to musically, and intend to buy her recent solo albums that I've been studiously ignoring. I recommend this book to anyone who loved Tracey's music

Homespun - Homespun
Homespun - Homespun

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying little number, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Homespun - Homespun (Audio CD)
As a fan of Sam Brown and also owning several Beautiful South albums I have to say, Homespun has only recently come to my attention - way after I should have known about them. I was happy to buy this album completely on reputations, and I'm pleased to say I wasn't disappointed. As you might expect, some tracks sound like they would be at home on a Sam Brown album and some have the unmistakable feel that would be great on a Beautiful South disc. The writing is great, and lyrically there as some beautifully constructed and well observed songs. It's very 'English' in feel, with very simple arrangements on some tracks, building to much more a 'band sound' on others. I won't bore you with my favourite tracks, but I will say Sam is terrific on this CD, with another high point being some lovely lyrical violin work. Will definitely be buying the other two albums some time soon.

Netgear WN1000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender
Netgear WN1000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 28 April 2014
This seems to do exactly what it says it will. Got it plugged in on the upstairs landing so both kids can do homework (and Skype!) in their bedrooms without the previous drop-outs and depleted signal they got from my Virgin Media hub in the downstairs rear extension of the house.

Thor: The Dark World [DVD] [2013]
Thor: The Dark World [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Chris Hemsworth
Price: 10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first film, 28 April 2014
As a big Marvel fan I missed this one at the cinema, and glad I saved myself the expense. Don't get me wrong, it perfectly enjoyable nonsense with good performances from all the main leads, but slightly forgettable in terms of plot compared to the first film.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7