Profile for S. Bateman > Reviews

Content by S. Bateman

S. Bateman (Surrey, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Live Tales
Live Tales
Offered by TwoRedSevens

3.0 out of 5 stars Song choice could have made it better, 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Live Tales (Audio CD)
I was pretty excited about this recording. So my heart sank when it kicked off with 'Free Me' - hardly an auspicious start. A lightwesigh Heep song at the best of times, it sounds 10 times worse as an accoustic number, with Ken undecided on how to sing the word 'Me' so he lurches backwards and forwords between prounoucing it 'Mee' and then Lawton's original 'Meh.' After that, though, it slips into being a very pleasant album. Ken's voice seems to get stronger as the set goes along and the last half dozen tracks really make you wish you'd been there. Recommended for Ken and Heeep 'completists' but if this is you first foray into Ken's Solo stuff, then I'd recommend you start with something else

Ten Short Songs About Love
Ten Short Songs About Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyous, 6 Dec. 2013
I don't have to write a long review, as others have already done this. Suffice to say this a beautifully crafted gem, that doesn't really date, as far as I'm concerned. Excellent stuff!

Delicate Flame of Desire
Delicate Flame of Desire

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer class, 29 Nov. 2013
This is my third studio album by Karnataka, and whilst I continue to buy them all in the wrong order I'm finding a real consistency of songwriting and a strong central thread of melody. Would like to go back even further to the very earliest stuff, if only it wasn't so rare and damned expensive! Seriously falling in love worth this group's catalogue and it's already lead me on to Panic Room and Touchstone as like-minded bands.

Pacific Rim [DVD] [2013]
Pacific Rim [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Idris Elba

4.0 out of 5 stars Leave your brain behind and just enjoy, 12 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Pacific Rim [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
The plot's ridiculous, the characterisation laughable and everything is way too loud. For sheer scale and entertainment though, it's hard to beat and if we couldn't do that 'willful suspension of disbelief' thing, then even Shakespeare would have been in trouble. If you can sit through popcorn sci-fi like Battleship, Battle for LA and Transformers, then you can certainly enjoy a rollicking good couple of hours with this eye-fest. Fun with a capital F.

Oceans Of Time
Oceans Of Time
Offered by TwoRedSevens

4.0 out of 5 stars Evolution rather than revolution, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Oceans Of Time (Audio CD)
Unlike the previous reviewer, this is pretty much what I personally wanted from the band. Strong song writing with hidden depths, even after only two listenings. Production seems particularly good, with a nice mix on the drums nicely - punching through even on my crap cheap car CD player, but not at the expense of the overall mix. My one disappointment is the male backing vocal are lower and more muffled on some songs than on previous albums, which I've always felt was an important part of Touchstone's sound. This is more than offset though by the lead vocalist. She really spreads her vocal wings on this album, proving to be a stronger singer than I've perhaps previously given her credit for. When the updated version of 'Solace' began, I had misgivings, as this is a song I've always liked in it's ballad format. However, the new version builds into a powerful rock version, which turns out to be equally as enjoyable, but in a different way. I've dropped the one star, only because as one previous reviewer mentioned - perhaps there's no one new stand out classic, though I might change my mind on this after further plays.

Move It
Move It

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Good To Me!, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Move It (Audio CD)
I own pretty much everything by Stray, and hold this album in high regard, having bought it once on vinyl and twice on CD (to get the BBC extras). Is it more commercial than the first four albums? Yes, maybe it is. Is the track 'Move it' a waste of time? Only slightly. These failings are more than made up for in the strength of the songwriting on the rest of the tracks and the overall performance. It boasts more variation than the first 4 albums and it's without a doubt my most played Stray album. If you've never given Stray a go before, then for sheer 'accessibility' this might well be your best place to start.

Invisible Empire // Crescent Moon
Invisible Empire // Crescent Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars Different!, 11 Oct. 2013
Like others (and owning three other KT Tunstall albums) I won't deny being a bit perplexed by the subdued tone of this on first listening. I was hoping for more of the quirky 'Tiger Suit' material. But even on only the second listening my attitude has changed drastically and I can see this is quite a gem. I also realise how I'm strangely quite glad that this has a more personal and acoustic feel, as I now have a KT Tunstall album to play for when I'm in more different moods! I imagine this will go on to be quite a favourite. I also bet these songs will provide some excellent pace changes for her live shows, not that I've been lucky enough to catch one yet.

Byzantium Endures: The First Volume of the Colonel Pyat Quartet
Byzantium Endures: The First Volume of the Colonel Pyat Quartet
by Michael Moorcock

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich and complex, 24 Sept. 2013
I've read just about everything from Michael Moorcock and this series of four books is his most 'grown-up' work. Don't buy if you're expecting science fiction or fantasy. Do buy if you want an alternative take on the first half of the 20th century as viewed by a wonderful and fatally flawed central character.

Wonderland
Wonderland
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Ageless appeal, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Wonderland (Audio CD)
I've bought every album Judie has released but I'd put this up in her top 5. Sometimes it's just somthing to do with the balance of songs and the sequence of the tracks as well as the songwriting itself, but on this album makes repeated plays are a joy. Many years later, nothing has dated to my ear (unlike some of the tracks from a couple of her albums just previous to this. Sadly I have an original copy, without the extra track!

Welcome To The Cruise
Welcome To The Cruise

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Debut, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Welcome To The Cruise (Audio CD)
Probably like many people I bought this originally on vinyl on the strength of 'Stay with me til dawn' and didn't really know fully what to expect. On first play I was smiling from ear to ear. Decades later the CD still sounds as fresh to me as the first time I played the vinyl. I've bought everything she's done from that day on. Great songs, great voice - what's not to love? Simply brilliant

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11