Profile for S. Bateman > Reviews

Content by S. Bateman

S. Bateman (Surrey, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
NETGEAR WN1000RP-100UKS Universal WiFi Range Extender (WiFi Booster)
NETGEAR WN1000RP-100UKS Universal WiFi Range Extender (WiFi Booster)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 28 April 2014
This seems to do exactly what it says it will. Got it plugged in on the upstairs landing so both kids can do homework (and Skype!) in their bedrooms without the previous drop-outs and depleted signal they got from my Virgin Media hub in the downstairs rear extension of the house.

Thor: The Dark World [DVD] [2013]
Thor: The Dark World [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Chris Hemsworth
Offered by Mediacentre

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first film, 28 April 2014
As a big Marvel fan I missed this one at the cinema, and glad I saved myself the expense. Don't get me wrong, it perfectly enjoyable nonsense with good performances from all the main leads, but slightly forgettable in terms of plot compared to the first film.

Original Album Classics
Original Album Classics

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Value, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
The inevitable repetition with tracks some across the 5 disks because of the two live disks is the only slight downside. Otherwise it's cracking stuff and great value for money. If you don't own any Allman Brother's and want to see what al the fuss is about, this is a brilliant way to get a decent amount of the band's material in one easy hit

Karnataka -New Light: Live In Concert [DVD]
Karnataka -New Light: Live In Concert [DVD]
Dvd ~ Karnataka

4.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyable, 28 April 2014
I could have easily given this 5 stars, but something's holding me back, not sure what though. Having seen the band live not long after this was filmed, and already owning the audio CD of the same concert, maybe my familiarity meant it was always going to be pretty much a case of no real surprises. A great addition to any Karnatak fans collection

Original Album Series
Original Album Series

2.0 out of 5 stars Could get on with the vocals, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
I bought this one completely on spec, hoping it would be like the Allman Brothers. Liked much of the music but unfortunately I couldn't get past the vocals. The singer had a tendency to be too nasal for me, and the more I tried to get through the albums the more I found he started to sound a like a parody of this sort of vocal style. Sorry to all Black Oak fans for my shortcomings!

A Distant Shore
A Distant Shore

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning, 23 April 2014
This review is from: A Distant Shore (Audio CD)
Like others, I first owned this on this vinyl, before snapping up the CD. The only criticism I can think of is to say it's a tiny bit short and leaves you hankering for one or two more tracks. I guess it is of it's time, in that it marks a pivotal point in Tracey's musical development but having said that, there's not a lot to date it either. Confident, beautifully executed in it's simplicity and sometimes haunting in how deeply personal the tracks still sound. The stripped back nature of The Marine Girls meets Early EBTG. A huge personal favourite and not a bad balance to Ben Watt's silo album North Marine shore from the same period.

SEVEN ( SPECIAL 2 DISC EDITION )
SEVEN ( SPECIAL 2 DISC EDITION )
Offered by Tigermoth Productions Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Top quality stuff, 16 Feb. 2014
I've enjoyed my first foray into the music of Magenta immensely and will definitely be back for more. Some fin songwriting and excellent performances. Dropped one star because of the DVD which has some fine moments but overall didn't add as much tot the proceedings as I was hoping. Anyone who likes Karnataka, Panic Room, Yes, Genesis and Renaissance should find plenty to like here.

Shades of Grey
Shades of Grey
by Jasper Fforde

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, with some unique and novel concepts, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Shades of Grey (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a friend, who neglected to tell me it was the first in a series and that the other books had not written yet (i hate having to wait to read the next installments of book series). This was my only major annoyance when I reached the end, very much wanting more. I agree with other reviewers that it was a little difficult to get into at the start, due to the very strangeness of the world you are parachuted into, but my view is that sometines a little bit of hard work by the reader often pays dividends in the end, and that, in my view, is the case here. Now I must wait in frustraton for the sequels. My first Jasper Fforde book, but it won't be my last!

Renaissance Live in Concert Tour 2011 [DVD] [2012] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars A fitting tribute, 24 Jan. 2014
We really should have seen more of Renaissance on film over the years, so this comes quite late in the band's career, and almost too late for Michael Dunford. A fitting tribute then, to his and the band's output. Why not 5 stars? Difficult to put my finger on it. Annie's voice is a little shaky on the first couple of tracks but is flawless after that. It might be that the set list is only 90% of what would have been my personal preference, which is probably being ultra picky of me. The DVD is a great twin to have on my shelf next door to the old black and white previous DVD.

I Am Number Four [DVD]
I Am Number Four [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alex Pettyfer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: I Am Number Four [DVD] (DVD)
I had no expectations about this film, as I knew nothing about it prior to watching. I enjoyed it immensely, despite being about 40 years too old for the intended target market. It reminded me of the series 'Heroes' in places. As others have said, if only they had explained more about the back story and the war with the other alien race, it might have added a bt more credability. Perfomances and special effects were good enough for me to watch it twice - once by myself, then again with my wife and teenage son. I wouldn't say no wanting to see a sequel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11