Profile for S. Bateman > Reviews

Content by S. Bateman

S. Bateman (Surrey, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Liberman
Liberman

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, 27 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Liberman (Audio CD)
I already owned her first two albums and as much as I like them, thy can sound a bit 'samey' when Vanessa's vocals are a full tilt all the time (and she can have that little bit nasal, sarcastic edge to her singing voice). I was toying with the idea of buying another of her albums, and was heartened to hear the reviews of this one saying it was very different. How true! Though there is a smattering of her trademark rolling piano, this, in many places, sounds like a completely different artist! The album is nice, in the nicest sense of the word. Confident, dreamy and evocative. I much prefer Vanessa voice when she sings in this style, as she has many more tones to her voice when she's not trying to out-sing her piano! Only played it three times but already love it.

Kitchen Craft Le'Xpress Drinks Stencils, Set of 8
Kitchen Craft Le'Xpress Drinks Stencils, Set of 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes other collections look overpriced, 30 Dec. 2015
For the price, you can't go wrong really. There will always be one or two stencils you dodn't like and will never use, but that's true of even the expensive coffee shop sets.

The Gardener's Calendar
The Gardener's Calendar
by Pippa Greenwood

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, 30 Dec. 2015
Sweet little book, bought as a stocking filler for my father-in-law. I'm no gardener but it looked well put together, with many useful tips

Slow Cooking for Two: A Slow Cooker Cookbook with 101 Slow Cooker Recipes Designed for Two People
by Mendocino Press

2.0 out of 5 stars Look elsewhere for a book first, 30 Dec. 2015
Bought this as a Christmas 'stocking filler' which was ironic, as this book is unnecessarily large! It sounded ideal for my in-laws who are retired and complain that most slow cooker books are geared up for families, meaning the quantities are normally too large. They seemed pleased enough with it, but I though it was a little uninspiring. If you are new to slow cooking I'd advise you start with something broader (Slow cooking properly explained was the first book I bought) otherwise this might not encourage you to stick with it.

POWERLESS
POWERLESS

4.0 out of 5 stars She's still got it!, 30 Dec. 2015
This review is from: POWERLESS (Audio CD)
Used to be a big Elkie fan in the early years, up to about Pearls 11, but then lost interest. Found this in a charity shop for all of 99p so thought it would be rude not to buy it. What a revelation. Elkie has still got it. Vocals are really strong and the song writing is excellent. Cover versions aside (I really could have done without Purple Rain, as I've never seen what the fuss is about this song, even the original by Prince). it's a really strong album. I've just bought her Biography on the back of this and may well catch up with her live again.

Broken Lives and Bleeding Hearts
Broken Lives and Bleeding Hearts
Offered by Tigermoth Productions Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars What perfection is built on, 23 Dec. 2015
I'm pleased with this album but as I heard Christina's totally flawless 5 Star 'The Light' first, I can't in good conscience do anything but drop a star for this one. The songs are good and the performances as we've come to expect from all those involved, but as a collection they don't hold together with quite such perfection as ;The Light.' Still, it's a fine album, and let's face it, if the 'The Light' is an improvement from this, then that's exactly as it should be really, as an artist matures and gets even better.

Lucie Silvas
Lucie Silvas

5.0 out of 5 stars She's only gone and done it again!, 15 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Lucie Silvas (MP3 Download)
Just buy the album!

Revolutions
Revolutions
Offered by Tigermoth Productions Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Genius, with the odd flaw, 15 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Revolutions (Audio CD)
I'm broadly in line with other comments here. Music is great but loses one star for me on two points. Magenta have writen some great lyrics, but there are some dodgy ones in 3 or 4 places here. Also, Rob Reed's vocals, which I like when I've heard them sparingly on other albums are a little too nasal and obtrusive here. The two tracks in question I first heard some of these tracks on the live albums, and Christina sings some the Rob's lines there, which I prefer. Cracking stuff overall, though, so please don't let me put anyone off!

Letters to Ghosts -Digi-
Letters to Ghosts -Digi-
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars ... little relief that I can say this album is terrific, as I was worried that her move to ..., 1 Oct. 2015
It's with a little relief that I can say this album is terrific, as I was worried that her move to Nashville might have knocked her creative journey off onto a real 'country' trajectory. Not so. What you get here is a mix of a couple of songs that could have sat comfortably on her second album, with a larger percentage of material with obvious new influences. Song writing, performance and production are excellent. I toyed with dropping one star because of the album finishing on a cover. It's not that it isn't a good version of the Roy Orbison (it very much is), it's just that like some others, I really don't get why Lucie chose to do this? Each time I've played it so far it leaves me a little disappointed that my listening experience hasn't ended on one of her many stronger self-penned songs on the album.

Into Colour
Into Colour
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, 1 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Into Colour (Audio CD)
If you like Rumer's first two albums, you'll probably like this, too. Beautifully crafted songs, but with perhaps not quite the variation of her first self-penned album (hence the drop of a star). If you think her first album was laid back, this is positively horizontal!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11