Profile for S. A. Lindsay > Reviews

Content by S. A. Lindsay

S. A. Lindsay "Eberdeen" (Aberdeen)

Gigaset C475 DUO Cordless Phone with Answering Machine ( DECT,Hands Free Functionality, SMS Function, Low Radiation )

4.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I have ever had!, 25 Mar 2010
The title of the review may be a little overboard but I have had poor phone after poor phone. Finally it has been a pleasure to get a set of phones that do what they are meant to do!

They are light, sound quality is excellent, answerphone is good etc etc.

All in all a good system.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job!, 25 Jun 2009
Case is pretty good. Have had it 6 months or so and it is standing upto the daily treatment well. OK its not the most stylish but hey neither is the phone itself! :)

The Last Theorem
The Last Theorem
by Arthur C. Clarke

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Guff!, 25 Jun 2009
This review is from: The Last Theorem (Hardcover)
Like a number of people reviewing this book I was very disapointed. I enjoyed the relationship with Clarke and Baxter and looked forward to this one although to be honest I thought the last Clarke book had already been released. This book was terrible and the last theorem story had hee haw to do with the main plot. Avoid this in order that you do not sully your brain with it and potentially ruin your opinion of an otherwise great author. I truly think that this was cobbled together from a bunch of post it notes that were perhaps left lying around Arthur C clarkes study.

Sony DAV-DZ630 - DVD 5.1 Home Cinema System - With HDMI & 1080i Upscaling
Sony DAV-DZ630 - DVD 5.1 Home Cinema System - With HDMI & 1080i Upscaling
Offered by Hyper-Fi
Price: 329.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome System and an Amazing Price, 29 Mar 2008
I have just got this system up and running. It took mere minutes and I am very impressed at the results. The auto tuning microphone which it comes with is very good. The TV works through the SCART lead no problem, music sounds great. All in all I ma very pleased. The only thing is that I was stupid (impatient) enough to buy it in a Sony shop. Paid way more than on here so if you are happy to be patient then get it here as the price is ridiculously low here.

Armband Carrying Case for Creative ZEN and ZEN X-Fi MP3 Players
Armband Carrying Case for Creative ZEN and ZEN X-Fi MP3 Players

1.0 out of 5 stars Next to Useless, 27 Feb 2008
I bought this with my Zen a while back and found it to be a total pain. It is difficult to get on although once it is on it is solid. The big complaint is that you cannot see the screen at all so if you want to change album etc you have to take it out which basically involves taking the whole thing off!

Very poor design considering what is out there for the ipod.

Doomsday Men: The Real Dr Strangelove and the Dream of the Superweapon
Doomsday Men: The Real Dr Strangelove and the Dream of the Superweapon
by P. D. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!, 17 Aug 2007
I bought this on a bit of a whim after reading the blurb on the back. I am so glad I did as it is an amazing book which charts the history of the nuclear bomb from the very first inceptions back with Marie Curie all the way through to the present day. The twist is that this is a sort of history book which also looks at the effect these weapons have had on the psyche of the populous over the years through the mediums of Science Fiction and normal media as well. As a child of the 70s/80s who thought that the world would end I found this book amazing!

Sony CLPNWS700 Clip Attachment For NWS700 MP3 Player
Sony CLPNWS700 Clip Attachment For NWS700 MP3 Player

3.0 out of 5 stars Just not Quite right, 27 Feb 2007
I bought this clip to go with my shiny new player but buyer beware as the picture does not really tell the full story. Yes it clips on and is an excellent clip but I really hoped it would cover the front screen as well in order to prevent scratches.

It doesn't.

Additionally there is no easy way of accessing the hold switch and so several times the thing has been playing in my pocket without me knowing.

All in all it is a quality piece of plastic and metal and does what it is meant to do.....just seems like missed opportunity to protect the whole player and offer the functionality of the clip.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2011 3:52 PM BST

Sony NWS706 - 4GB Walkman MP3 Player - With Noise Canceling Headphones - Black
Sony NWS706 - 4GB Walkman MP3 Player - With Noise Canceling Headphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Just out of the box....not quite convinced, 12 Feb 2007
I spent quite a long time trying to decide whether to get an ipod nano like the one I bought my wife for Christmas or go for something a little different. I was impressed enough by the reviews on here to go for the Sony 4gb MP3 player. The fact that the sound quality was raved about and that there is a radio on board made me decide on this one.

First Impressions are fairly good and getting better as tims goes. I have had it out of the box for two hours and have installed the software and downloaded 170 tracks. Quite happy with the software although perhaps it is not quite upto iTunes but to be honest it is not a million miles away and the functionality is obviously fine.

Sound quality. Now this is where I am not quite so convinced. It is good but I have a Sony Ericcson phone with onboard walkman and I think it is much the same as that.....so far but there are Equaliser settings which do work. Don't get me wrong the sound is rich and powerful but maybe not quite what I was expecting.

Radio is a big disapointment. I was hoping (perhaps a bit too optimistically) that the radio hardware/software would be the same as the 810i phone as that has excellent features such as muting out the static, Radio id etc but this has none of that which is a great disapointment to me. I am half wishing I had just bought a bigger card for my phone but the battery life was an issue to me.

Functionality. Nowhere near as good as ipod. Not a major surprise as it is so small but still it is just not as intuitive but I guess I shall get used to it.

Noise cancellation feature is more a muting thing in case anyone is expecting to completley shut out all noise. I am expecting it to be quite valuable on buses, panes etc although a decent set of headphones shall do that anyway.

In summary, big on features but not quite living up to the promises and hype. I will still give it 4 stars however as it is an impressive piece of kit and it is only 2 hours since I opened it and I think I will love it once I find out ow much the battery lasts! :)

I have now owned this for several months and I do still like it although I think the ipod is still a better piece of kit. The most annoying thing for me is the software does not support pod casting software. I have managed to get around it by using itunes and then importing the files into my player....not optimal but it works.

Live After Death
Live After Death
Price: 5.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally I will own the full Vinyl copy, 9 Feb 2007
This review is from: Live After Death (Audio CD)
I had the double vinyl album a long time ago and stupidly I sold it amongst the rest of my collection as I was leaving my parents house. I bought a CD version a long time ago but it was a total rip off as it only had one CD and only 12 tracks which sucked majorly......now I have got back into Maiden recently and am busy filling up my MP3 player with their albums and was very excited to find the full original album available here!

I give it five stars for the reasons everyone else gave but mostly for nostalga as this is where I fell in love with Rock (actually it was Iron Maiden at Donnington 1992 on Radio 1 but this was my first live album!)