Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things
The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things

4.0 out of 5 stars very readable, 20 Aug 2013
Jane Austen's life told in a series of snapshots. It may add nothing new to the bank of facts known about her life, experience and thoughts, but uses well the material available from letters and contemporary writings to reveal the Jane we all love.

Instrument of Slaughter: 2 (Home Front Detective series)
Instrument of Slaughter: 2 (Home Front Detective series)

5.0 out of 5 stars white feather murder, 11 Aug 2013
A group of young men who at the outbreak of war find themselves as conscientious objectors, unwilling to become 'instruments of slaughter', and yet face conscription. Edward Marston's portrayal of the period is accurate and enlightening. His books are always a treat.

Kinsey and Me
Kinsey and Me

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Kinsey and Me (Kindle Edition)
I have enjoyed Sue Grafton's Kinsey series and thought it would be interesting to know more about the author. I was a little disappointed.

The Reason I Jump: one boy's voice from the silence of autism
The Reason I Jump: one boy's voice from the silence of autism

5.0 out of 5 stars intriguing, 11 Aug 2013
If you have any experience of autism you will find this book intriguing. It is written by a young Japanese autistic boy who is answering questions about his condition with frankness and simplicity.

Death Before Wicket: Phryne Fisher's Murder Mysteries 10
Death Before Wicket: Phryne Fisher's Murder Mysteries 10

4.0 out of 5 stars a fun read, 11 Aug 2013
Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher is a feisty young Australian living in the 1920s and amusing herself as a private detective. These books provide a pleasant light read.

Lestrade and the Sawdust Ring
Lestrade and the Sawdust Ring

3.0 out of 5 stars a wee bit tedious, 21 July 2013
I loved the first Lestrade book, but this one didn't grab me. I found it a wee bit tedious in fact. I shall try another title though. His Mad Max books are a delight

Maxwell's House (Mad Max Book 1)
Maxwell's House (Mad Max Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars ten out of ten!, 21 July 2013
Maxwell is a star. Before the days of ebooks I went to great lengths to find the whole series, but seem to have missed this one. It is one of the earlier titles, but still very enjoyable.

The Adventures of Inspector Lestrade
The Adventures of Inspector Lestrade

5.0 out of 5 stars a contemporary of Sherlock Holmes, 6 July 2013
First in the series and the first I have read. What joys to come! As a member of the teaching profession I am an ardent fan of M J Trow and Peter Maxwell. Now thanks to kindle I have access to Inspector Lestrade. As a historian, Trow is sure to get the period details right, and his quirky sense of humour shines through

The Bee's Kiss (Joe Sandilands Murder Mystery)
The Bee's Kiss (Joe Sandilands Murder Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars london between the wars, 6 July 2013
Set in London between the wars. Well written mix of intrigue, politics and murder. I have also enjoyed Joe Sandilands cases in India and elsewhere.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children)

3.0 out of 5 stars not for me, 6 July 2013
I persevered with this book for a long time but finally abandoned it. It might appeal to some readers but was not for me. Why? I suppose I prefer life in the real world.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8