Profile for Michael L Garrard > Reviews

Dancing with Darkness: Life, Death and Hope in Afghanistan
Dancing with Darkness: Life, Death and Hope in Afghanistan
by Magsie Hamilton-Little

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping, incredible and uplifting journey, 23 Mar. 2011
This is an incredible, thrilling and uplifting book. Opening with the horror of the London bombings of July 2005, Magsie Hamilton-Little went on her journey to Afghanistan, trying to understand what could motivate people to commit such acts. For me, it was a welcome, if harrowing, journey behind all the news headlines and political rhetoric. We witness Magsie confronting the reality of daily life in a near-ruined country torn apart by war. We also meet its people as they struggle to cope with the almost unbearably harsh realities of daily life. Following a kidnapping, we are taken on a gripping, perilous adventure involving tribal intrigue and warlords. Along the way, there is warm humanity and some unexpectedly humourous moments as ideas, cultures and religion clash. I have to confess, certain passages stopped me in their tracks, such is the power of Magsie's writing, which has a vivid, lyrical quality. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Salem's Lot
Salem's Lot
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at First Bite, 19 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Salem's Lot (Paperback)
'Salem's Lot' was my first foray into King territory, quite a few years ago, but I regularly return to it for further readings but also as a shining (sorry, Mr King!) example of how to write and structure a besteller. My well-worn first edition sits on my book-case close to my writing desk and I often find myself reaching for it when I arrive at a challenging piece of plotting, characterisation or plotting in my writing. King's output is prolific and his reputation is huge - with many detractors it has to be said - but if you want to sample the great man's early work and read a damn good vampire tale that was written long before the recent 'Twilight' books and their sometimes variably teen-fare offspring, go grab a copy and get ready to sink your fangs into a rippingly good read that will haunt your days and nights for years to come.

The Lincoln Lawyer
The Lincoln Lawyer
by Michael Connelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introduction to Connelly, 19 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Lincoln Lawyer (Hardcover)
'The Lincoln Lawyer' was my first foray into Connelly territory and I was not disappointed. I confess that I am not the greatest fan of thrillers but this, our first meeting with Michael Haller, sucked me in immediately. From the off you are there with Mickey in his mobile office. The clients are a varied, never cliched bunch of wayward folk. Connelly's writing is always fresh and there are plenty of twists and turns to keep you gripped. I found the first-person narrative compelling to the point that I was sharing every high, every low of this investigation, all the way up to the incredible ending. I am now a confirmed Connelly fan!