Profile for William FERRY > Reviews

Giacomo Agostini: A Life in Picture
by Mario Donnini
Price: 36.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous.., 19 Jun 2014
This is a beautiful book about a beautiful man and his equally beautiful, charmed life.
The book is a joy, and tho' not cheap.. is worth the asking price. There are many pictures here that I have not seen before,many from Italian publications. The text to each picture is in both Italian and English and sufficient.
I keep picking it up and dipping into it, even tho' it is fairly hefty.. and keep finding something new, it is that good.
What is NOT good is/are the lurid references to who and how many girls he bedded. It simply isn't necessary in a book of this quality.. perhaps it is a continental thing.? Not something I expect to hear boasted from a man in his 70's.. whose teenage daughter will likely see it.?
All in all.. it is a truly lovely book, and as an Ago' fan, in period, I am delighted to have it.

Peter Williams - Designed to Race
Peter Williams - Designed to Race
by Peter Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars The last British hero.., 30 Mar 2014
Peter Williams.
Genius.
Hero.
Decent man.
If you never buy another book, beg, steal or borrow this one..
I have a great many car and motorcycle books, this one IS the BEST and I cherish it..
So many people have taken "from" motorcycle sport.. it made them famous perhaps. This man "gave" everything that was in him to an industry that was imploding.. and it could so easily have cost him his life. His achievements are central to motorcycling today.
Genius.. Hero.. Decent man.
Did I mention, along with Phil Read and Ray Pickrell.. the best rider of his day.?

The Art of the Racing Motorcycle
The Art of the Racing Motorcycle
by Phillip Tooth
Price: 35.00

3.0 out of 5 stars The Art of the Racing Motorcycle: A disappointment, 14 Mar 2013
I ordered this book on the same day that I ordered Motocourse 2012/13. Motocourse is acknowledged as the leader where photo standards are raised.. sadly "The Art of " does NOT follow this tradition.
To get access to these bikes is an achievement.. to then produce POOR photo's is an insult to the owners. The archive shots are fine, being historic. The studio shots are where it falls down.. they are either much too poorly lit, leading to areas of dense blackness or, it is as a result of the printing techniques used. Either way.. the photo's are simply NOT of a good enough quality at this price point.
I have other books that cover much of this subject and they are generally, considerably better. Better photographed, better lit, better produced. BETTER.!
Had I seen this in a bookshop, I would NOT have bought it.. perhaps if it had been remaindered, but not otherwise.
Not quality enough for the price. Very poor.

Yo Frankie
Yo Frankie
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent.., 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Yo Frankie (Audio CD)
I had this as a new plastic album in 1989.. it was superb. Somewhere in between a number of house moves.. it went missing.
I have checked second-hand stores for ages but never found a copy.. or a replacement CD. Was I the only person in the UK interested in this..?
And, then, whilst checking Amazon for the recording. a notice that the CD would be re-issued..! Deep joy. On the issue date I duly ordered my copy and it's been played to death ever since. I've now found an original video on Youtube, released by the record company at the time.. of a track called "And the night stood still" Magic.. try it. Film quality is a bit iffy, but the music's sound..[sorry!]
We all have albums' where the good are mixed with average.. not here.. I would say that the whole album is of real quality and.. the cast of players.. where to start. All in all.. simply MAGNIFICENT and at todays prices.. a bargain.