Profile for Quinty > Reviews

Content by Quinty

Quinty

Dying Light Be the Zombie Edition (PS4)
Dying Light Be the Zombie Edition (PS4)

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcomed offering, 28 Feb. 2015
It's great to have a ps4 game worth playing at last. The "next gen" recent offerings have left me wondering why I even bothered to upgrade. All that I've been pelted with with are slightly improved versions of last gen games, or sub-pare next gen.
Let's take some of those recent offerings for a moment: the order:1886, for example - it reminds me of the old cliche': it looks good on the outside, but once you get underneath there's nothing really there. How true this is. There is no denying the game looks great, but there really isn't much to it. Most of the game you are spent watching with a quick button press thrown in to remind you that, yes indeed, you are playing a game. And the bits that do constitute as gameplay are few and far between, and only last minuets.
Evolve was another disappointment for me. I felt it didn't warrant the full price tag - it felt like more of a mod someone had made. It didn't really offer anything that I feel will keep people interested in the long hall.
With those points out the way, I am by no means hailing dying light to be the best game this century, or the epitome of next gen gaming, but it is a welcomed offering. The story is no great tale, and the characters you are likely to not care about, but the actual joy of playing make up for all that.
It gives you an open world inhabited by the undead to wreck havoc on. It doesn't hold your hand and lead you down corridor after corridor, it lets you decide what it is you want to do and how to do it. It's fun building up your character and finding out the unique skills on offer to you; building weapons of mass zombie destruction is also very pleasing. There is tonnes to do besides following the main quest, and in just exploring there is fun to be had.
The day and night cycle of the game brings new excitement. The night brings out these super zombie like creatures, and having them chase you as you run for your life to a safe zone is a heart pounding experience. At night, the zombies are more challenging, making things a little more tactile, adding to the sense of fear.
Lots of the missions are: fetch me this, fetch me that, but it never got too old for me; the fun of getting to each place allowed me to over look that aspect of the game.
I recommend this game to any ps4 owner wanting to have an actual game to play and have fun with. It's by no means the messiah of games, but it's nice to have something half decent to actually play.

Kick Ass 2
Kick Ass 2
by Mark Millar

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Kick as much ass as the first., 20 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Kick Ass 2 (Paperback)
The first book is fantastic, a great original story with great characters and situations. I'm also a hugh fan of John Romita Jr, but I must say I found the art in this book a bit of a disappointment, its not up to his usual standard in my eyes it all seems a bit rushed, and I found the way it was coloured not very pleasing to the eye. The colours in the first are much flatter and compliment the line drawings much more effectively than in this issue.

I found the story not that engaging either. It still has the violence and the shocks of the first but the story was kind of drab and boring and unoriginal, I get what they were trying to do but for me it just felt very uninspired.

I just expected more from the sequel to what was a great original comic book that indeed did KICK ASS!