Profile for JulieS > Reviews

Dying for Christmas
Dying for Christmas
by Tammy Cohen

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy page-turner with unexpected twists, 15 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Dying for Christmas (Paperback)
I recommend this book. I don't usually read crime fiction but I really enjoyed this one. It is a page turner and kept my attention all the way through. It starts off very dark and creepy and the twists in the tale caught me completely by surprise. Tammy Cohen is a top-class writer. She pulled off this bizarre and warped story very well.

One Hundred and Four Horses
One Hundred and Four Horses

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book. I recommend it, 18 Jun. 2015
Good book. I recommend it. It is important to understand the horror that is the Mugabe regime in Zimbabwe.

All the Light We Cannot See
All the Light We Cannot See

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok. I read it to the end ..., 18 Jun. 2015
It was ok. I read it to the end but it didn't move me as much as I expected. I generally find the Pulitzer prize winning books to be a little underwhelming.

The War of the Wives
The War of the Wives
by Tamar Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! I am a prolific, 18 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The War of the Wives (Paperback)
Excellent! I am a prolific, but critical and impatient reader and I am thrilled to have discovered Tamar Cohen. What a great writer! I am surprised she is not more well known. She has a similar style to Lisa Jewell and Liane Moriarty. I thought the character development was brilliant and it was so interesting being in the heads of Lottie and Selina. I highly recommend this book.

Deliciously Ella: Awesome ingredients, incredible food that you and your body will love
by Ella Woodward

2.0 out of 5 stars I prefer getting recipes directly off the website. Ella ..., 10 May 2015
I prefer getting recipes directly off the website. Ella is very young and hats off to her for what she has already achieved at such a young age. The book was irritating to read because of the effusive way in which it was written - lots of absolutelys, hugelys, reallys, verys etc.

Alfie Gets in First
Alfie Gets in First
by Shirley Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars There are very few books like these around nowadays - this book is a timeless ..., 10 May 2015
This review is from: Alfie Gets in First (Paperback)
I remember this book form my childhood. There are very few books like these around nowadays - this book is a timeless classic.

Someone Else's Wedding
Someone Else's Wedding
by Tamar Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - highly recommend it, 10 May 2015
This review is from: Someone Else's Wedding (Paperback)
Very, very well-written with an absorbing plot and well developed characters. This is the first of Tamar Cohen's books that I have read and I can't wait to try more. Excellent book - highly recommend it.

Late Fragments: Everything I Want to Tell You (About This Magnificent Life)
Late Fragments: Everything I Want to Tell You (About This Magnificent Life)

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely beautiful book. I think that the world would be ..., 20 Jan. 2015
An absolutely beautiful book. I think that the world would be a better, happier place if everyone read this book and took heed of its contents. I initially feared it would leave me depressed and empty but instead, after reading it, I felt surprisingly buoyant and inspired. As another reviewer has already mentioned, I also realised I hold The Golden Ticket. I am so very blessed and privileged and I will no longer take my family, friends and life for granted. I read this on my Kindle but will buy a hard copy too as I would like to flick through it again, make notes and refer to it often.

I am an avid, fussy reader and I love words (like Kate!) and I must say that the quality of her writing is superb. What a fascinating, clever person! I especially enjoyed the bits about finding your passion and taking care of the landscape of your mind. It is wise advice. I can't recommend this book highly enough - it's beyond brilliant.

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - A page turner and very well-written, 5 Jan. 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I am an avid reader but I am fairly critical and difficult to please so, you must know, that when I say this book is good, it is GREAT. Easy to read, engaging, good plot, brilliantly developed characters - I highly recommend it. I would now like to read more of this author's work.

The Marie Antoinette Diet: Eat Cake and Still Lose Weight
The Marie Antoinette Diet: Eat Cake and Still Lose Weight

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent summary of a healthy diet and lifestyle, 19 July 2013
Lately I've become interested in food and improving my health through my diet. I have read loads of books on the subject and found Karen's book is an excellent, easy-to-read summary of everything I have read so far. After reading her book, I went out and bought some coconut oil and have been cooking with it ever since. I am also inspired to make stock from scratch. I thoroughly enjoy Karen's writing style. I can't believe JK Rowling has become a millionaire through her books and Karen has not ... yet!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3