Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse
After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse

1.0 out of 5 stars So dissapointing, 31 Oct 2013
I fully understood that this book was just going to be quick details about how life turned out for the characters of Bon Temps. I did not have amazingly high expectations but I am one of these people that when I finish a series I always want to know what happened next so I was thrilled to see this. I was very disappointed.

I loved the Sookie Stackhouse series. Even when it started to get a bit rubbish around Dead in the Family, I faithfully stuck by it and even didn't give a bad review for the last book. This, however, is a bit of a joke and clearly just a way to make more money out of fans when ideally it could have been done for free on her website to thank all of her fans for their dedication (something that authors such as J K Rowling did).

We are told the fate of every character who appeared in the novels. Some are so obscure that even I, as someone who is a very thorough reader, didn't have the foggiest who they were. Some of the characters have one sentence to describe what happened, usually along the lines of something like 'he got gonorrhoea'. I didn't expect another story but I did expect more than a few paragraphs about what happened in Sookie's life. It was just so empty and I felt so unfulfilled at the end of it (which only took me 10 minutes to get to). I just feel so much more could have been said and just a little more depth, humour and detail could have been added. Instead the writing felt lazy and unenthusiastic.

I am so gutted at how bad it was. As a big fan it just felt like a bit if a slap in the face charging me over £6 for a 10 minute, half hearted read. Like I said I was under no illusion that this was going to be an amazing full novella which just makes my disappointment even worse. I would suggest to borrow it for free from a library and not to buy it. The only good thing was that I was really glad to see that Sookie and Sam got their happy ending.

Hopi Direct Aromatherapy Hopi Ear Candles with Filters & Protector Discs (6 pairs) 6 Different Aromas - Rose, Rosemary, Lavender, Orange, Peppermint, Tea Tree
Offered by Hopi | Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Day, 25 Oct 2013
Love this product we make a day of pampering including them and they work really well. We stocked up and they arrived with in two day

Very British Problems: Making Life Awkward for Ourselves, One Rainy Day at a Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Oct 2013
I love this book. I follow very british problems on twitter and the book has many of my favourite problems as well as many others. From the weather to eating out, from visits to the doctors to month python quotes; very british problems is a hilarious insight to British idiosyncrasies. So if you detest 'working with someone you don't usually work with' or are obsessed with queuing etiquette then this is a book for you.

Omens: Number 1 in series (The Cainsville Trilogy)
Omens: Number 1 in series (The Cainsville Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a new series, 21 Aug 2013
Olivia is an only child heiress to a retail fortune. A society brat who is expected to be nothing more than a philanthropist and a pretty trophy wife to her future husband. That's fine and she is already halfway there, engaged to a charismatic future senator, but Olivia feels stifled and doesn't fit it. If she is honest with herself she would rather get a job and find out about what it feels like to actually earn the money she spends. It turns out that she won't have to wait long to find out what that's like. Olivia is revealed to be adopted and her biological parents are notorious serial killers. Unable to cope with the media and the cold attitude of her family Olivia runs away trying to hide and find answers. What she doesn't realise is she is unwittingly being guided to mysterious town called Cainsville - and they've been expecting her. There is something strange about the town and its inhabitants but Olivia isn't sure what exactly. Along with the help of her real mothers former lawyer Gabriel, Olivia sets out to either prove or disprove her parents innocence. She soon becomes entangled in an investigation that is a lot more dangerous that it seems and if the omens are right, she could find the end of her new life much quicker than she wanted to.

I am very biased when it comes to Kelley Armstrong as she has always been a favourite author of mine so I was extremely excited to start reading the Cainsville series. Olivia is a likeable enough character. Thankfully Kelley spared us from any whining about how tough life into be rich and instead gave a character that even though she wasn't too happy in her life, knew she was extremely fortunate and therefore did not bitch and moan about how difficult it was to have money. If that had been the case I wouldn't have liked the character at all. As it was I took a while to warm to her but ended up thinking she was a great lead that has a bit of something missing and I'm still not quite sure what that something is. The story was fast paced and I couldn't put it down even at 3am. It starts off with action and throws you right into the plot rather than building up to it which was great. As a first book in a series you are introduced to Cainsville but nothing is really explained about the creepy goings on. Told in first person you only know what Olivia does and therefore you are only going to find out along with her. The only other insight is the few odd chapters told from a Cainsville residents point of view which I really enjoyed and gave you one or two hints more than Olivia that something is really weird in that place. A really good set up for the future books. Cainsville itself almost seems like a character in its own right. The supernatural element is being introduced very slowly and it is leaving me on tenterhooks for the next one.

I really liked the mystery and crime solving element of the book. A great read that was very different to the otherworld or Nadia Stafford series and to me that makes it even better. Kelley is still one of my favourite authors and this was a great story so well worth a read.

Shadow Bound (An Unbound Novel - Book 2)
Shadow Bound (An Unbound Novel - Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent again, 10 Aug 2013
In the world there are people who are skilled. There are 'travellers' who can step into a shadow and appear anywhere else and 'trackers' who can find anyone amongst many others. However no government will validate the existence of these skills and therefore there is a world of crime where the police have no jurisdiction and the skilled are fighting each other with no mercy. More importantly amongst the skilled there are 'binders'; people who can secure others into contracts using blood and ultimately taking away there free will. The city is split between two mafia bosses who run the city's underworld with a vicious and unforgiving hand. Many of the skilled work for one of these two and its a job only the quick witted and the ferocious can survive.

Kori may be a petite blond but she was the personal body guard of Jake Towers, Mob Boss and all round sadistic nightmare for 6 years. That's until she failed in her duty and she let him get shot while his enemy Ruben Cavazos infiltrated his home. Now she has fallen from grace and she is being punished. After 6 weeks of being raped, tortured and brutalised whilst people watched, Kori is being released and has a job to do. There is a man called Ian who is a 'blinder', someone that can create darkness and suck the light from a room. He is powerful and the best at what he can do and Jake wants him badly. So badly that when Ian requested a petite blond to act as his liaison, Jake released Kori and ordered that she will do whatever he wants to make him happy. What Jake doesn't realise is that Ian has his own agenda and when he requested a petite blond, he wanted Kori's sister Kenley, a powerful binder, because Ian intends to kill her. Ian soon gets to know Kori and the thought of killing her sister and ruining Kori's fragile mental state even more horrifies him. He needs to come up with a new solution to get the results that Kenleys death would achieve fast before his brother dies. Unfortunately it's not that easy and there is a constant threat of Kori being sent back to the basement along with her sister if she does not succeed in getting what Jake wants.

Again a great book. I was a bit disappointed at first when I realise that Liv and Cam were not the main characters but soon forgot that as I quickly got drawn into this new story of deceit, betrayal and greed. Loved the storyline and everything about this book. It's fast paced and I read it in less than a day because I couldn't put it down.

Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel - Book 1)
Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel - Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 10 Aug 2013

Liv is a tracker that uses blood to find people. She swore she would never become bound to any corporation, until the life of someone she loved was threatened. Now she serves Cavazos, one of the mob bosses, and he wants her to find someone that is proving close to impossible to find. If she doesn't find them in the next six months - she belongs to him, and he can do whatever he wants to her. Then Cam, the love of her life, appears on the scene. Six years ago she left him after a prophecy was made predicting that if they were together one of them would murder the other. Now he's back and he wants answers to why she left him and he wants her back for good. With his help, she is asked by an old friend to find her husbands murderer and kill him. She needs to get the job done before Cavazos gets involved and shows her his displeasure. Unfortunately life is a hell of a lot more complicated and Liv is going to have to come up with some quick thinking before they all end up dead.

This is the best series I have started to read in a long time. I loved the characters, I loved the story and the world that has been created. I was hooked as soon as I started and finished the book the same day then bought the next one straight after. There's a lot of action, romance and excitement and I can't wait to read the next one.

The Forbidden Queen
The Forbidden Queen

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been done better, 3 Aug 2013
This is the story of Katherine of Valois, the Queen of Henry V, and her life. Not a lot is know about Katherine as after Henry's death (after they were only married for two years) she faded from political and public life.

I enjoyed the first part of the story about her childhood in France and her marriage to Henry V. It was interesting and I really wanted to know more about the events of the time. However because it was written in first person all you got to experience was Katherine. Who did nothing. Ever. After Henry's death you have to read often about how depressed she was, how cold the castle was, how she was alone etc etc etc. I'm sure it was pretty awful but there are only so many times you can hear about it before wanting to shout at her to just get on with life already. Her romance with Edmund Beaufort I also found a bit irritating. He was annoying and I found her to have a really weak and silly personality at this time.

I think the story perked up a lot when it came to her and Owen Tudors relationship. It was a lot more genuine and Katherine was a lot more assertive and not so silly. I enjoyed reading about it as I found it interesting that they became the grandparents of Henry VII. Unfortunately when it came to Katherine's death it was really rushed and I was left very underwhelmed about the ending. I would have liked to have known more about what happened afterward as well since I know Owen Tudor was arrested after her death.

Overall the writing style was good and some bits were interesting and entertaining but mostly I think Katherine was a dull character in an exciting and action packed time in history. It could have been made a lot more enjoyable if maybe it had involved other characters narratives so you could read about some of the events that changed the history of the country or since not a lot was known about Katherine in the first place, maybe just embellish the story so thats she is more interesting to read about. Maybe the author should consider writing about Joan of Arc or another strong female character and she would have a much better story.

The Last Song
The Last Song

5.0 out of 5 stars I cried a lot., 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Last Song (Kindle Edition)
Ronnie is a typical 17 year old girl. Devastated after her parents divorce, she hasn't spoken to her dad in three years. She's hanging around with the wrong people and getting into trouble. Despite this you know she is a good kind hearted girl who is just struggling with herself. Unfortunately her mum has decided she is going to spend the summer with her dad. Needless to say it doesn't start off great. She doesn't fit in and a local guy is causing her some major problems. Then she meets Will and realises what it's like to fall in love. Her summer changes her for the better and she reconciles with her dad. The end of the summer is fast approaching though. Can her and Will's relationship cope with the separation? Ronnie begins to worry that they won't until she finds out that there is something far more devastating for her to worry about.

I do like Nicholas Sparks books even though they are a bit cheesy and a lot of them revolve around the same themes. They aren't great pieces of literature but they are a nice easy read and he has a way of telling a story that keeps me hooked and I am unable to put the book down. At the beginning of this story I was a bit irritated with Ronnie and her typical teenage 'I only think about myself and I'm angry at everyone all the time' attitude. However you quickly get to know the real Ronnie and am relieved that she realises how silly her attitude is and she becomes really likeable. The story with her dad at the end was heartbraking and especially since, despite being a married adult, i am a complete daddys girl it had me in floods of tears, which I have come to expect when reading Nicholas Sparks. It was beautiful and heartbreaking and as usual he has written about how our choices and our love for others resonate through our lives and define who we are.

A lovely book even if it is a slow start. It's worth a read but have some tissues to hand.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Royal Purple  [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation)]
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Royal Purple [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation)]

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault it, 26 July 2013
The case fits my kindle perfectly and I really like no having any straps across the front of the device. I previously bought them off eBay but they are a lot bulkier and not as perfect a fit as this. I love that it switches on and off when you open/close it. The magnet to hold it shut is great and I love the colour. Even though its expensive i think it's worth it and won't buy a heap one off eBay again.

Third Grave Dead Ahead: Number 3 in series (Charley Davidson)
Third Grave Dead Ahead: Number 3 in series (Charley Davidson)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series, 24 July 2013
Book three starts two weeks after book two and Charley is desperate to stay awake due to Reyes making exhausting appearances in her dreams. It's not long before a case is brought to her attention; a doctor has reported his wife missing and Charley knows he is definitely guilty of something sinister. In the mean time Reyes has escaped from prison ( with Charley's unwitting help) and has realised that the man he was sent to prison for killing is still alive. Charley goes on a mission o hunt him down and clear Reyes' name. What she doesn't realise is that this will lead to one of the darkest and most devastating moments of her life.

As always a witty, action packed story that leaves you wanting more. There were parts of it that had me in tears but I loved this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5