Profile for J JARVIS > Reviews

Content by J JARVIS

J JARVIS "Nostalgia Fan" (HOLT, NORFOLK United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Man Who Came Back [DVD] [2008]
The Man Who Came Back [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Billy Zane
Price: 4.64

1.0 out of 5 stars He Should Have Stayed Away, 17 Jun 2013
The title is misleading it should have been The Man Who Stayed Away. Pity he did`nt. Beware of this load of rubbish.

North West Mounted Police [DVD]
North West Mounted Police [DVD]
Dvd ~ George Bancroft
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Movie, 11 Feb 2011
I can`t praise this movie enough. The quality was brilliant I defy it to be better on Bluray which I still feel is overated and another opportunity to overcharge people . The red coats of the mounties and the scenery was excellent. One of Gary Coopers finest hours plus great support from Preston Foster, Robert Preston & Paulette Goddard. Also watch out for future stars Robert Ryan, Rod Cameron & Richard Denning..A WONDERFUL MOVIE
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2013 1:34 AM BST

Abbott & Costello - Christmas Show (Digitally Remastered in Colour) [DVD] [1952]
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 2.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Where`s Les, 26 Jan 2011
For quality I give it four stars considering it is old TV colorised. BUT..I bought it because Les Paul & Mary Ford were supposed to be on the disc...They must have ran on and off quickly because I did`nt see them. For the price I can`t complain because I quite enjoy Bud & Lou..BUT Wheres Les...

Sgt. Bilko: The Phil Silvers Show - Season 1 [DVD] [1955]
Sgt. Bilko: The Phil Silvers Show - Season 1 [DVD] [1955]
Dvd ~ Phil Silvers
Price: 17.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Old Ernie, 26 Jan 2011
Can`t praise this collection enough, still as good as ever. Brings back so many happy memories when all we had at home was a 12inch screen Murphy television and only one channel to view. Sounds incredible with so much to choose from nowadays nobody argueed about what to watch. I was a sixteen year old in heaven. Saturdays viewing started with The Range Rider, I was then sent to out to get fish and chips for tea. Four lots Mum, Dad and my Sister. Then came Bilko followed by Dale Robertson in Tales of Wells Fargo. Father and I loved Wells Fargo and Bilko they were our highlights of the weeks viewing along with Perry Como who I believe was on a Wednesday.
Like a previous reviewer I had some bad copies I had bought from E Bay but this is the genuine article with out a doubt possible the best quality we have ever seen Good old Ernie Bilko. Col Hall and the Platoon. I often question why did Steve Martin attempt it, (Must have been money) The show has stood the test of time so well and is just as funny as ever. Duane Dodermans smile alone is guaranteed to cheer you up. Sadly my Mother and Father are no longer with us along with Phil Silvers and the majority of the cast. I myself am considerable older than sixteen. The size of the TV has changed I now have a 50 inch. And even though we have endless amounts of channels the majority is rubbish. Thank goodness and God bless Phil Silvers who never alters and is still as good as it was 50 odd years ago....Good Old Ernie
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2011 10:53 PM BST

The Big Country [DVD]
The Big Country [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gregory Peck
Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 3.63

4.0 out of 5 stars COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Big Country [DVD] (DVD)
Such a wonderful film as everybody agrees but as far as I am concerned a rubbish copy. Looks like it has been copied from V H S. Lets hope a new re-mastered version appears to give this film the quality it deserves...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2011 11:33 AM BST

Double Feature: Rhythm of the Rio Grande / Rainbow [DVD] [1940] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Tex Ritter

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Old Tex, 1 Mar 2010
In another review I said how Hoppy was my favorite cowboy hero but good old Tex was a close second along with Eddie Dean, Lash Larue and Charles Starrett. Memories of Saturday picture shows. When the curtains opened and the Grand National Pictures logo appeared on the screen we knew Tex was coming. These two movies are much the same as you would expect and Tex wins the day once again after singing three or four songs. For the pure nostalgia and happy memories of days gone by I highly recomend this DVD. Once again lets hear it for good old Tex and all the other hero`s that passed us by in our young life..I still get the same thrill watching them in an old life....One of the biggest regrets I have is in the mid sixties Tex was appearing locally and I did`nt get to see him. Just to shake the hand that used to give old Charlie (Blackie) King such a sock on the jaw would have been a real thrill. ..Happy Days Buckaroos....

Angel Face [DVD]
Angel Face [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Mitchum

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly an Angel Face, 1 Mar 2010
This review is from: Angel Face [DVD] (DVD)
I remember seeing this movie at a very young age at our local cinema. I believe it was the first Robert Mitchum movie I had seen certainly the first Jean Simmons. About the same time I remember A Place In The Sun with Montgomery Clift, Shirley Winters & Elizabeth Taylor. Both movies left such an impact on a young mind that almost 60 years later they have never left me. If you are not familiar with the plot Jean Simmons in her first Hollywood movie as the beautiful Diane Tremayne and her obsession for Ambulance driver Frank Jessup (Robert Mitchum).They both made bigger impacts in later movies but in this one they were perfect together. Browsing Amazon as I do I found it and at a budget price and was glad I did. I had seen it on TV a long while ago but now I own it. Jean certainly had a Angel Face and in this movie was never more beautiful. Sadly the stars are no longer with us and the old movie theatre where I spent many happy hours is also gone..Until I grow to old to dream I will never forget them.....

Radio City Christmas Spectacular Feat Rockettes [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Artist Not Provided
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 5.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Humbug, 3 Jan 2010
I purchase a Christmas show on DVD every year and every year they come out again during the seasonal period. Sadly this has gone on the shelf and will possible stay there unless I give it to the Charity shop..One review said to many shots of the audience. I did`nt mind that to much if I been in the audience and the camera came to me you certainly would`nt see a happy smiling face. Perhaps these people were given a free pass and told to smile to order or someone held a cue card with instructions. It said featuring the Rockettes which was`nt wrong, they were on every five minutes doing the same dance routine in different costumes. What more can I say only forget it and give it a miss.
During the seasonal period we went to the Royal Albert Hall for a Christmas show which was`nt filmed and was far superior to this. Sadly all we have are the memories of it As for Radio City I`m trying to forget it. As Scrooge would say HUMBUG.....

Night Train For Inverness [DVD] [1960]
Night Train For Inverness [DVD] [1960]
Dvd ~ Norman Wooland
Price: 9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 3 Jan 2010
An interesting little film and after seeing Dennis Waterman in NEW TRICKS it`s hard to believe he started so young. As far as the film was concerned the quality was very poor and thats about all I can say.

HDScape Sampler [Blu-ray] [2005] [Region Free]
HDScape Sampler [Blu-ray] [2005] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Artist Not Provided

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray, 3 Jan 2010
For a start this is a good bargain price sampler to get you started on Blu-ray but why Blu-ray. Having watched it and been very impressed I then switched to TV and the Life series was being shown I don`t have high definition but the picture quality was just as good or in certain scenes better..My main worry was is if I purchased a new player would I then want to replace my existing films for Blu-ray copies. Certainly not. My player has made my old discs much better in quality a fine example is THE SEARCHERS and I see no point buying over priced Bly-ray discs which in my opinion you can`t tell the difference.When the day comes when we will have to buy them because there is nothing else so be it until then I will continue to purchase standard DVD`s.
Going back to this particular disc. Yes it is a bargain and worth the purchase but watch and think is it better quality because to be quite honest I could`nt see any difference..............
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2010 1:46 PM BST