Profile for C. R. Menhinick > Reviews

Content by C. R. Menhinick

C. R. Menhinick (Sandhurst UK)

Oh What A Caper
Oh What A Caper

1.0 out of 5 stars Melodeon/Morris Fans Don't buy this!, 20 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Oh What A Caper (Audio CD)
I foolishly bought this as a fan of Simon Care and thinking from the title that it would be more of Simon's amazing melodeon playing and Morris tunes .. WRONG it is full of electric garbage music which is anathema to any folk music fan.

Simon Care is a great melodeon player and folk musician - he should stick to what he's good at, because he's definately NOT good at the sort of crap which inhabits this dismal piece of work.

Note to self .. listen to the sample tracks before buying another Simon Care album! :(

The Ravishing Genius Of Bones
The Ravishing Genius Of Bones

5.0 out of 5 stars Brian who?, 24 Mar. 2011
I confess I'd never heard of Brian Finegan and then I went to a Cara Dillon gig at South Hill Park Arts Centre in Bracknell in which Brian was playing as part of the band. I saw his CD was on sale during the interval but took no notice because up to then only the supporting acts had played. People were buying Cara Dillon CDs but I didn't see anyone buying Brian's CD.

Then Cara and band appeared on stage and I soon realised that this Mr Finegan was something special in his own right. After a fantastic performance I headed out and decided to by Brian's CD, and it was obvious I wasn't the only member of the audience to be drawn by his amazing playing.

I started listening as soon as I got in my car and was blown away by the music. Since then (over a week now!) I've played little else and the more I hear the more I love it. The sheer technical brilliance of Finegan's playing and the quality of the accompanying musicians make this album really special.

Brian's hauntingly beautiful whistle playing sends a shiver down the spine and leaves you crying out for more. I'm really looking forward to the next Brian Finegan album now although this one has set an impossibly high standard to beat!

Ultrasonic Pain Relief Massager
Ultrasonic Pain Relief Massager

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be working!, 11 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Ultrasonic Pain Relief Massager
It's hard to tell with a gadget like this whether or not it is doing anything! There is no sound, no vibration, just a couple of LEDs to tell you that it's on and whether you are in high or low power setting. It doesn't even interfere with the radio!

I bought it after a course of ultrasound treatment from the NHS on my knee which seems to be working and improving the recovery from injury. I bought it as a top-up treatment and as treatment for a couple of other minor aches and pains which the NHS couldn't be bothered with. I've been using it for three weeks now and it appears to be doing what it's supposed to do (it does get warm after a 15 min treatment session which suggests that there is something inside the case!)

So, if you buy one of these, don't expect miracles - ultrasound treatment takes time to work and it's not immediately obvious what is going on! This isn't a criticism of this device which is neat, tidy and easy to use. The massive trolley-borne one my Physio used didn't make any sound or do anything obvious apart from bleep at the end of the 15min session either!

Oh, by the way you need some contact gel to use with this and it isn't supplied with the unit (a small tube would have been nice) - Ibuprofen gel works well as a temporary substitute and adds to the analgesic effects! I bought a small tube of contact gel from Boots to start with then ordered 2 x 250Ml bottles from Amazon which will probably last forever! (Its the same stuff they use with Faetal heart monitors and the old style Tens machines with non-sticky contact pads.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2011 8:53 PM BST

Hi-Tec Eurotrek Waterproof, Men's Hiking Boots, Dark Brown, 11 UK
Hi-Tec Eurotrek Waterproof, Men's Hiking Boots, Dark Brown, 11 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boots, 9 Feb. 2011
These are great boots and exceptional value for money. I bought 1 size up (11 rather than 10) to allow for thick walking socks. Excellent fit and very comfortable with good ankle support.

Q-Waves Wireless USB to HDMI Extender - Stream Wirelessly From Laptop to TV or Projector

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic bit of kit!, 29 July 2010
How rare to buy a bit of IT kit that actually works out of the box with no fuss!

1)Bung the CD in the laptop to install the driver ... about a minute
2)Plug the hdmi lead from the telly into the base station and power it up ... 20 secs
3)Set the tv input to HDMI .. 10 secs
4)Plug the transmitter 'dongley thing' into the USB of the laptop ... 10 secs
5)Display from laptop magically appears as an extended desktop ... less than a second!

I then spant a couple of minutes mucking about with the settings in the driver on the laptop so that the TV displayed the same as the laptop screen rather than the default extended desktop. I didn't even read the manual 'til much later!

Amazing picture quality - my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1520 (intel P4 with 1Gb RAM) so not exactly cutting edge, but I've watched DVD's without any problems and can now work on my 15" laptop without my reading glasses thanks to my 32" telly!

Morris: A Life With Bells On [DVD] [2009]
Morris: A Life With Bells On [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Derek Jacobi
Offered by Global_Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Where were the musicians?, 29 July 2010
Firstly - I loved this film! I've been fascinated by the Morris for years but never really got involved, until this year when I started to play Melodeon for an all female side. Having now been exposed to the full range of Morris styles and traditions by attending festivals, dance days and pub sessions, I've met most of the characters in the film (or at least those caricatured) so I can appreciate the humour!
I'd pre-ordered the DVD having missed the few public showings and was well aware that the film was a mockumentary and NOT a documentary, and mock it did ... gently at first but hamming it up more and more as the action moved to the US and those wonderfully camp Californians!
If I had to criticise ... (and why not in a review?) it would be that these leading lights of the Morris World were always dancing to recorded music from a CD player! That would NEVER happen! The musicians that accompany the dances are often as 'interesting' as the dancers themselves and include as bizarre a mix of personalities ... and instruments!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2010 1:12 PM BST

Krusell Luna Soft Leather Mobile Protective Phone Pouch with carabiner clip Black/Sand (Large)
Offered by BPSALESDIRECT

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality slip case for smartphones, 5 Mar. 2010
This was the second of these cases I've purchased - the first lives in my pocket protecting my HTC Hero where it has done a superb job and still looks like new despite 6 months sharing space with keys, coins and all the other cr*p that ends up in my pockets! Now my wife has bought the same phone so I bought her the same case to give her phone a fighting chance of surviving the maelstrom that is her handbag!

CB540A HP Original Color LaserJet CB540A Black Print Cartridge with ColorSphere Toner
Offered by Orange Office

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 7 Jan. 2010
It's a toner cartridge ... it's black ... and Amazon was the cheapest source ... what else can I say?

Morris: A Life with Bells On
Morris: A Life with Bells On

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too much repetitive "filler" music, 7 Jan. 2010
I suppose I should have realised, because this is the soundtrack CD to a flim, but there is an awful lot of repetitive and rather depressing "filler" music on this album. That said - the dance tune tracks are excellent (if you're in to Morris Dance). Definately avoid this album if you haven't seen the film!

Max Value 200Mbps Home Plug, Double Unit Pack
Max Value 200Mbps Home Plug, Double Unit Pack
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 16 Oct. 2009
This is a great value product. It works out of the box with no setup and all cables are supplied.