Profile for Mr. Alastair E. Dickson > Reviews

Content by Mr. Alastair E...

Mr. Alastair E. Dickson

Night Heron (Philip Mangan 1)
Night Heron (Philip Mangan 1)
by Adam Brookes

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent thriller but nothing more, 25 May 2015
A decent thriller which takes a while to get going but gets reasonably gripping towards the end. The Chinese background was interesting but - like all thrillers I suppose - some pretty far-fetched stuff happens.

The Humans
The Humans
by Matt Haig

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but pretty lightweight, 25 May 2015
This review is from: The Humans (Paperback)
I just found it a little lightweight and obvious. I liked the idea behind the book but thought it could have been developed into something a bit more thought-provoking.

Familiar
Familiar

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea but soon becomes tedious, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Familiar (Kindle Edition)
The idea everything you know suddenly shifting one mundane day is certainly an interesting concept for a novel but after a good start I lost interest fairly quickly as it turned into a tedious story about her marriage and relationships with her children. Well written so worth 3 stars but could have been much better.

Danish Design Gents Watch Martin Larsen 3314258
Danish Design Gents Watch Martin Larsen 3314258
Offered by solarcosa

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, clean design, 1 Aug. 2013
In general I'm really happy with this watch, I like the clear, simple, uncluttered, classic design of the face and it feels light but solid. Its only 4/5 though because the date window is so tiny as to be virtually unreadable - especially if the date is double-digit and the strap is too short, I'm almost at the limit and I don't have particularly big wrists.

Ordinary Thunderstorms
Ordinary Thunderstorms
by William Boyd

1.0 out of 5 stars The dumbing-down of William Boyd, 22 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Ordinary Thunderstorms (Paperback)
I've really enjoyed and appreciated some of Boyd's earlier novels - A good man in Africa and Armadillo spring to mind - but this is just terrible. It really feels like he needed and bit of money and dashed this off in a couple of weeks. If this didn't have the Boyd name behind it I wonder if it would ever have been published.
I don't even know where to start in criticising it. The plot is laughable, the characters one-dimensional, its held together by a string of coincidences and utterly unbelievable events... I could go on. The ending is hurried and terrible.
I don't think I'll buy another William Boyd book after this.