Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Lost Scot" (Wales)

Amazon: pay living wages to your workers
Amazon: pay living wages to your workers
by Amazon Anonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars Pay up!, 11 Jun 2014
Don't you just love how a giant company can pay it's workers so little they rely on welfare benefits, paid by the taxpayers, i.e. other workers, whilst avoiding paying their own tax bill?

God Save The Queen
God Save The Queen

5.0 out of 5 stars Music of its time, yet still relevant today, 3 Jun 2012
This review is from: God Save The Queen (MP3 Download)
Back in the 70s the Sex Pistols tore up the rule book, and found themselves banned from giving gigs by local councils so they had to play under assumed names. The establishment, both musical and rulers, hated them. On the other hand, for a lot of us who were young then, this was revolutionary music, a real change to what we saw on Top of the Pops, or heard our older brothers or cousins playing.

Fast forward to the 2012 celebration of monarchy and the track has been adopted by a campaign to get it to the top of the charts in jubilee week. The easiest way to this is via mp3 downloads but amazon have made this track unavailable. Wonder why?

The Sword of the Lady: A Novel of the Change
The Sword of the Lady: A Novel of the Change
by S. M. Stirling

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic boost to the series, 9 Sep 2009
It's Year 24 of the change, when humanity was deprived of the use of engines, electrical equipment, guns and explosives. The early books in the series show us how societies rebuilt after the chaos and mass die-offs that ensued. The Sword of the Lady takes us on a quest across a changed north america to retrieve The Sword of the Lady. Our heroes are all young leaders-to-be from the various small states that have developed over time. From the start of the series we've had hints that there may be other forces at work, be they gods, post-humans, Alien Space Bats, or whatever. This becomes clearer, although we mostly see them reflected through the varied spiritual perspectives of the characters which just adds to the richness of the tales.

So far, so Lord of the Rings, you may be thinking, and there's enough nods to this, and many other works, to keep you grasping at recognition, or sometimes laughing out loud at a subtle reference to something you know well. But this is it's own story, a muscular adventure, with great attention to detail, whether to dialect, the smell on you after many many days on horseback or fighting with bow and sword, or the impact of good food after such a journey. And the fighting, well he can write a hell of a good fight scene, and there's plenty of those, each different enough so it's not repetitive. We've also got characters we can care about, good and evil manifesting in powerful ways, a quest that makes sense, multiple levels of understanding and just very, very good writing. Make sure you've got some days off work to get it read... you won't want interruptions.

Having re-read the whole series many times I'd no problems with putting it all in context, so it's hard for me to know if a new reader would find this book able to stand by itself. I suspect it will, there's some background provided but no great info-dumps to spoil the flow, and as I say it's a damn good story.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2010 9:09 AM BST

Fresh
Fresh
by Mark McNay
Price: 6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars A slice of life..., 19 April 2008
This review is from: Fresh (Paperback)
What a great read. A quick read? Sure. An easy read? That too. Simplistic? Not so sure about that, lots of well observed detail about Scottish working class life, about growing up as a man, about work and love and fear and family. Lost of depth there, explored in lots of levels.

I had one heartsink moment when I thought the author was going to take a well-trodden route so I put the book down, but steeled myself, and was delighted that he'd found another way. I don't know whether you'd have to be a Scot to really get the book. Certainly there's a lot of Glesga patter, and the distinctive humour is both cruel and affectionate.

I found myself caring a lot about Sean and getting caught up in his situation, wondering how, if, he was going to resolve it. Only afterwards did I catch on to the tension between the different solutions on offer: The nice, official, civilised, legal or the scarier, rougher, more macho...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2010 1:23 PM BST