Profile for Juliet Bravo > Reviews

Lady Chatterley [2007] [DVD]
Lady Chatterley [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Marina Hands

4.0 out of 5 stars A subtle and interesting take on the story, 27 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Lady Chatterley [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
It is difficult to write a review of this as in the last year I have 1) read the 'standard' version of LCL 2) watched the Ken Russell TV adaptation on DVD 3) read the 'second' version of LCL (on which this film is based) and 4) now watched this film. It's difficult to be objective when you are not coming 'fresh' to a film.

I enjoyed both versions of the novel and this film is certainly a unique take; in some ways it is a lot better than Ken Russell's version. It is quite bizarre watching it in French though, especially as I am a French-English translator so I understand the French and tend to get distracted by seeing whether the subtitles are well translated or not... and I missed the dialect.

Anyway, it was beautifully shot and I thought Marina Hands was quite entrancing and showed a range of emotions on her face. But:
1) Parkin did not look English in the slightest, he looked very much like a squat French peasant, and was extremely taciturn and passive. Even in the second version he has more spark to him than he does in this film.
2) Clifford was also portrayed in a very passive way and the relationship between Clifford and Connie was not explored at all.
3) There was not enough dialogue. Hilda had a very minor part, whereas she is quite interesting in the book. There was not much tension about the events that happen to Parkin while Connie is abroad, or the fact of her pregnancy.
4) It's a bit too long [I had to watch it in 3 sittings, I have a busy life!] and I didn't like the voiceover or the "2 weeks later" bits (whatever you call that).

However the sex scenes were very well done, better than Russell's version (no ridiculous music), and I understand why Parkin didn't have to be as rugged and sexy as Sean Bean... but still, he lacked spark. I thought the end was very good - probably because the characters actually started talking to each other, which made it interesting, finally. Then it stopped. The trouble is, I don't know how much you would actually get from this film if you hadn't read any of the books at all.

A Creature I Don't Know
A Creature I Don't Know
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album I bought in 2011, 2 Feb. 2012
This review is from: A Creature I Don't Know (Audio CD)
It's just captivating. And I am easily old enough to be Laura's mother!
I can't wait to see her live one day.
Best tracks are The Muse and Sophia.

The Second Lady Chatterley's Lover (Oneworld Classics) (Oneworld Classics)
The Second Lady Chatterley's Lover (Oneworld Classics) (Oneworld Classics)
by D. H. Lawrence

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly engaging and quite different from the original, 2 Feb. 2012
I am reading this a few months after reading the standard version of LCL, and it is just as good. I hesitate to say it is better; it is different. The plot is broadly the same but the characters are brought out more, although I think the gamekeeper is more successful in the original book.
I just love the way Lawrence's words flow on the page, he is so beautifully descriptive, you can almost smell the woods and the coal mines and see the lines on people's faces.
The pictures and extra information in this book make it a very worthwile buy, plus the paper is really good quality.

The Harrow & the Harvest
The Harrow & the Harvest

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 2 Feb. 2012
It's slow, lazy, intricate music, but if you really listen to it, it's very beautiful. I love the twang in her voice and the harmonies they use and the way they change keys.
This is the third GW album I have purchased, I want them all!

2.0 out of 5 stars Songs all very much in the same minor key, a disappointment, 7 July 2011
This review is from: Last (Audio CD)
I am really disappointed I bought this. I loved "Here's the Tender Coming" and when I put this CD on, I enjoyed the first couple of tracks. By track 4 I was wondering if the key or tempo were ever going to change, and by Track 5 which drones on about "disappointment", I was definitely feeling the disappointment, if not severe depression, and had to turn it off. Admittedly, the next few tracks pick it up a bit, but it descends into a miserable dirge again at the end.
More Unthanks quirkiness and fewer Adrian McNally boring musical arrangements thank you!

American Gypsy
American Gypsy

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly astonishing, 6 July 2011
This review is from: American Gypsy (MP3 Download)
I had the pleasure of seeing Tony Furtado play live in Europe on Seth Lakeman's tour and bought this CD afterwards.
If you like country and bluegrass and you don't know him, then you should! His music is a mix of different styles - country, bluegrass, folk, rock - and he is a virtuoso slide guitar and banjo player. Truly astonishing. A mixture of self-penned and traditional tunes.
My favourite track is Bottle of Hope, but The Angry Monk, Tinker's Fancy and Rove Riley Rove also stand out.

Wallander [DVD] [2008]
Wallander [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Kenneth Branagh

3.0 out of 5 stars Branagh is not Wallander, although he tries, 16 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Wallander [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Having seen the episodes on TV, I am disappointed. Kenneth Branagh is not Wallander, he is Kenneth Branagh! He acts well but it just doesn't feel right. He doesn't look right, he is too emotional. Some of the other acting is very wooden and the casting of Martinsson and Hoglund is weak. And Linda Wallander is completely insipid.
I also watched the two Swedish episodes of Wallander which were recently shown on BBC4, so I am probably comparing to these, which I thought were excellent. They seemed much more authentic and Wallander and Linda came across as much more true to the characters in the books.
In the Branagh version, it's just too odd for me to have English actors pretending to be Swedish and yet speaking English, it's just plain silly.
But I'll give it 3 stars as it's wonderfully shot and Sidetracked is worth 3 stars, but Firewall is not as good.
I won't be buying this DVD but would love to be able to get hold of all the Swedish films at a reasonable price!

Angela's Ashes [DVD] [2000]
Angela's Ashes [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Emily Watson
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb (if a little long), 24 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Angela's Ashes [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I had been putting off watching this film as I thought it would be either depressing or cliched. It was neither. It was shocking, moving and funny. The acting is superb, especially the child actors who are amazing.
I will definitely read the book now.

A Good Year [DVD] [2006]
A Good Year [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe
Offered by MusicnMedia

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst film I have seen in years, 24 Nov. 2008
This review is from: A Good Year [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This film is completely crass and completely predictable. Dreadful script and even worse acting.
I actually had to turn it off halfway through. Just glad I didn't buy it!

Love Actually [DVD] [2003]
Love Actually [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Alan Rickman
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Actually not too bad, 24 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Love Actually [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Although it doesn't quite work, it's definitely worth watching. Some great performances. Could have cut a few of the stories out completely though. Should have focused on Colin Firth, Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant. The rest weren't really worth it although the Laura Linney storyline was moving. I cried a little and laughed a little, and I guess it kept me more engaged than most films I see.
Actually, the absolute best thing about this film is Lynden David Hall singing at the wedding at the beginning. He died a couple of years ago and it was a shock - but a beautiful one - to see him in the film, I had no idea! Beautiful man with a beautiful voice. RIP.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3