Profile for Grover Lemburg > Reviews

Revolutionary Road [DVD] [2008]
Revolutionary Road [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio

1.0 out of 5 stars Something for the ladies?, 29 Sep 2014
I don't normally write film reviews but this film was so awful I had to do something!

Completely misleading film name, Deadly Dull Domestic Drama would have been better. As with a lot of modern films it is technically very good but seriously lacking in originality or creativity.

The performance by Kate Winslet was not very good, also she's a bit of a fattie in this film, fat hips and a flat chest are not a good look. Her portrayal of a '50's housewife was unconvining and self-indulgent (husband as director probably didn't help).

I bet the book is excellent but I felt nobody in the film was worth caring about. Stuck it out to the end hoping something would happen, was disappointed. Got an overwhelming feeling the whole thing was a bit of a cynical money-making excercise by Team Mendes/Winslet!

Still, all the arguments did make me feel pretty good about not being married to an irrational nutter so there is that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2014 6:02 PM BST

TeckNet® iEP386 Heavy Duty 2.1A/1A Dual-Port 6600mAh External Battery Pack and Charger for for iPad 4/3/2, iPad mini, iPhone 5/4S/4/3G, iPod Touch (1G to 5G), Android Mobilephone, Blackberry, Droid, many of other mobile phone and tablets - Black (iEP386 Heavy Duty 5V/2.1A/1A high speed charger)
Offered by Eix

2.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy, let me down, may have damaged my phone battery, 23 July 2011
This item comes in cheap packaging with poorly written, almost non-existent instructions. Construction appears solid. My Samsung Galaxy S Android phone has a 1500 mah battery so I was expecting at least 3 full charges from this external battery pack; I am lucky if I get two.

I went camping at an isolated spot and left my phone plugged into the fully charged tecknet over night to charge it up; in the morning the phone had 25 per cent charge and the tecknet was dead. This could have been quite dangerous as the phone was the only means of communication I had on me and 25 per cent doesn't last long.

Since then the tecknet is taking approximately 15 hours to charge up. Also my phone's battery is now taking ages to charge and discharges very quickly! Don't know if this is connected but the phone is less than six months old.

I will give this battery one more charge/discharge cycle - if it doesn't perform perfectly it will go back.

Way of St James Cyclist Guide: A Cyclists' Guide from Le Puy En Velay to Santiago De Compostela: Le Puy to Santiago - A Cyclist's Guide (Cicerone Cycling)
by John Higginson

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of date and poorly written, 11 Jun 2011
I recently used this guide (May/June 2011) for the pilgrimage between St Jean Pied de Port and Santiago.
The guide was written in 2007 and is out of date (mainly due to a massive road building program by the Spanish); roads have been turned into motorways (which don't allow bicycles) or re-named due to the new roads.
There is a question mark on the mileages given in the guide; the author states that the mileages are plus or minus 5 km, which is unacceptable in my opinion.
The guide does not give any idea of the size of towns or villages on the route which was unhelpful.
The guide also does not include street plans of the larger towns or cities like Pamplona or Leon; all it says is find the tourist office for a local map - it actually acknowledges that the Pamplona tourist office is impossible to find (it's currently in a porta-cabin in front of the cathedral)!! Would it have been so difficult to add city street plans?
I met another couple who had the same guide and they commented on the general negative tone of the author.
I eventually did not trust this guide and treated all information with suspicion, which certainly added a bit of adventure to the pilgrimage.
The authors route descriptions could be mis-leading ie not very clearly written - which caused me one day to go 6 or 7 km in completely the wrong direction, luckily a local saw I was way off and corrected me.
I have given this guide two stars as it does give the outline of the route.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2013 11:22 AM GMT