Profile for A. Butterfield > Reviews

Content by A. Butterfield

A. Butterfield (Newcastle, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
101 Running Songs
101 Running Songs
Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 19.98

4.0 out of 5 stars 101 housework songs ;-), 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: 101 Running Songs (Audio CD)
I'm sure this is probably good for running.Like many of the reviewers I bought it to do housework to because it seemed to encompass many of the tape compilations I have had in the past of 90's dance and 'pop' music. I am not usually a fan of any pop but the selection is so catchy. 5CDs takes a long time to get through and the CDs are semi 'themed' some being more dancey and fast, others more chart music but almost all of the songs were excellent. A few duff songs for me like Reet Petite and Hi Ho silver lining that seemed more at home at a tragic Christmas staff do but each to their own.

Overall a great bargain for the number of tracks. Hope you people less lazy than me like it.

Lingerie Zipped Bra Net Wash Bag 20 x 15 x 13cms, for Bra sizes A up to D
Lingerie Zipped Bra Net Wash Bag 20 x 15 x 13cms, for Bra sizes A up to D
Offered by CaraselleDirect
Price: 2.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Zip broke very quickly, 3 Nov 2010
The shape of this product is well designed and I did like using it. It fits at least two bras in at a time. Unfortunately, quite a few times, after the cycle had finished, I would open the door to find my bras liberated and the zip completely undone. Shame really because there is some elastic to protect this from happening but the zip doesn't have those 'teeth' that keep it locked. In the end I couldn't trust it and have had too many underwire related machine breakages in the past.

I got a zip net bag for 99p from Morrissons that has served me well for several years since I first stopped using this product.

If you are from the company, change the zip, otherwise you have a ice product.

Where the Heart is
Where the Heart is
by Billie Letts
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars My fave book as a teen, 24 Jan 2010
I loved everything about this book and its a rare one I've read more than once. I have waited 16 years always looking, for her to write another novel and she just has. I can't wait to read that one.

Its the most heart warmng book you'll ever read.

The Tooth Fairy
The Tooth Fairy
by Graham Joyce
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book of all time, 27 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Tooth Fairy (Paperback)
I purchased this copy for a friend but its been a favourite of mine since my teens. Coming of age story with a surreal fantasy bent. Reminds me of the style of ' The Wasp factory".

Definitely Graham Joyce's best novel.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2009 5:27 PM GMT

Overheard in a Dream
Overheard in a Dream
by Torey L. Hayden
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Comes together brilliantly, 16 Nov 2008
This review is from: Overheard in a Dream (Paperback)
I quite enjoyed this book whilst reading it but as the last chapters drew to a close I REALLY REALLY enjoyed it and blazed through to the end. It's a good story anyway but I was very satisfied with how everything tied together. I even felt the need to tell my totally uninterested husband all about it very excitedly. He remained unimpressed. That's lads for you.

Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide: Interpreting the Native
Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide: Interpreting the Native
by Brenda Aloff
Price: 31.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Extensive and helpful, 11 Nov 2008
I bought this book when I went into super nerd mode about training my dog and wanted to know as much as possible.

It has taught me more than I expected it to. Using plenty of dogs in the photos, you can recognise subtle signs in all breeds. Some books like this show aggression with a picture of a terrier etc with full baring teeth. This book would show you the more subtle signals that appear before this point.

Another very useful feature is body language dogs use with each other and not just with humans. Overall, it was well worth the money

The Book With No Name
The Book With No Name
by Anonymous

3.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for teen boys, 11 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Book With No Name (Paperback)
This book was entertaining enough but really better suited to a teenage boy. It is full of gore and violence and a little mild sex an a little humour. It reminded me a lot of Dusk til dawn and was as if a rubbish Terry Pratchett had written a vamp novel from lots of cobbled together bits of vamp films.

That said I am a 30 year old female and I know I would have enjoyed it more had I been a lot younger.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
by John Boyne
Price: 3.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Mistaking youth for stupidity, 11 Nov 2008
This book was okay but could have been much improved if the author didn't make the main protagonist so dumb. I hate it when adults write as children and make them act or seem a bit thick. I don't mean his actions or his thoughts or manner but the way he doesn't seem to make any connections about his new friend's situation.

I know I am not a child and have knowledge of the situation historically but I still think the boy fails to understand even a little about what his eyes can see. There are so many mentions of food and the other boy's skinny and unhealthy appearance but he fails even to realise that his friend might be hungry.

Nonetheless, it is worth a read as it only takes a day and has a good ending. I just think the little boy who loves exploring and adventure would understand a lot more than the author portrays him to.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2010 8:59 PM GMT

Duma Key
Duma Key
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm loving it..... I LOVED it!, 21 Oct 2008
This review is from: Duma Key (Paperback)
I have to admit first of all that I haven't finished this book but I'm close. I agree with the earlier reviewer that King has been known for weak endings..

After reading King books as a teen its hard to know if an author you like will have improved with age or gone off the boil. My first King as a 'proper grown up' was The Cell and it was disappointing. Then Lisey's story which I adored and now Duma Key which is so compelling to me I'm reviewing it before I'm done. I wanted to review this earlier too but held off. I'm going to bed earlier so I can read more, that's how much I'm loving it.

Very creepy and a page turner.

05/11/10. Just to update this post: This is one of the best S. King books for me. The mental challenges the main protagonist faces as a result of an accident are very realistic and easy for you to sympathise with. The characters are all extremely well written and it is extremely creepy. I still think about it. Currently reading The Dome which is brilliant so far. Seems he's back on form.

Teach Your Dog to Read
Teach Your Dog to Read
by Bonnie Bergin
Price: 10.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 21 Oct 2008
This review is from: Teach Your Dog to Read (Paperback)
I thought the title of this book might be a way of saying 'get your dog so well trained he'll understand so well he can practically read!' but no, its a book about teaching your dog to read!

Because it recommends that you read the book the whole way through and possibly again before starting, I haven't tried the techniques but the way they're laid out, I'm sure they'd be successful. It teaches training dogs to recognise lengths of words on paper until they can do the command without any other verbal or visual cues.

We adopted another dog since I bought this and so priority has been training basics to her but I would recommend it if you feel you have the time to read it all and practice the techniques.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4