Profile for Angela > Reviews

Angela

Learning Resources Smart Snacks Sorting Shape Cupcakes
Learning Resources Smart Snacks Sorting Shape Cupcakes

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks simple, but a really great toy, 24 Sept. 2011
I bought this as a birthday present for our two-year-old after seeing them at a playgroup we used to go to. Like many Learning Resources toys, they look very simple but are in fact terrific toys. There are six cupcakes, all with different shapes on the bottom and different shaped sprinkles on the icing. So you can match cakes to their corresponding shape in the tray, or you can talk about shapes in the icing, or you can talk about colours (the sprinkles are multi-coloured) - or of course you can just use them as pretend cupcakes for a pretendy tea! ALL our kids play with them in different ways (they're aged 2, 4 and 7), and I'd give them to any other child as a present very happily.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 24 Sept. 2011
This is just what I needed for making jellies - hangs from a butchers hook on a cupboard door and just does its job well. I wash it in the washing machine on its own after use and it hasn't failed me after a year of use. It folds up into itself, but still takes up a large-ish circle - fortunately it fits snugly inside my stockpot, but otherwise I might have found it hard to fit it properly in the cupboard to keep it clean ready for use. Love it!

I SPY In the countryside (Michelin I-Spy Guides)
I SPY In the countryside (Michelin I-Spy Guides)
by Michelin Tyre PLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun on holidays, 24 Sept. 2011
We bought three of these books for our children to do while on a road trip around northern Germany. They did them co-operatively very successfully (we had wondered whether the books would be inherently competitive, but they did fine co-operating), and for our lower-primary children it added a good dimension of interest to what might otherwise have been a just lot of walking in unfamiliar places. We had fun helping them find some of the unusual things, too!

I-Spy In the Street (Michelin I-Spy Guides)
I-Spy In the Street (Michelin I-Spy Guides)
by Michelin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun on holidays, 24 Sept. 2011

Beginner's Book of Modular Origami Polyhedra: The Platonic Solids (Dover Origami Papercraft)
by Rona Gurkewitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and really do-able, 5 Jun. 2011
This is a really terrific book which has already given me hours of fascination. The models are all very straightforward to construct; the instructions are extremely clear; and the finished product is really stunning. It's certainly easier to start with large pieces of paper when trying a model for the first time; some of them are quite fiddly to piece together. But once you've worked out how it goes and where the challenging stages are with each construction, it's possible to make very dainty models.

All the models require multiple units to be constructed, which means a lot of pieces of paper to fold. It's worth making sure you've got plenty of origami paper to hand before you start - you'll keep finding more models you want to make, and some of them use upwards of thirty individual units!

If you enjoy origami and are looking for a new challenge with it, or if you're interested in the maths of these polyhedra, this book will open up a whole new world.

Origami Jewellery: More Than 40 Exquisite Necklaces, Bracelets, Brooches and Earrings to Fold and Wear
by Ayako Brodek

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, but instructions very USA-specific, 5 Jun. 2011
This is a beautiful book full of gorgeous ideas. The only problem really is that many of the instructions appear to be USA-specific, in that they refer to products or components by names which are unknown in the UK. It's obviously possible to come up with alternatives, but it does mean that the whole thing is slightly user-unfriendly. However, genuinely lovely book and great ideas.

Learning Resources Smart Snacks Gingerbread Sort and Snap
Learning Resources Smart Snacks Gingerbread Sort and Snap
Offered by MMP Living

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuinely fun toy, 13 Mar. 2011
These gingerbread men are a simple but really fun toy. They're easy to carry around, and they lend themselves to endless imaginative play. Each one is different, but with common features, so you can play matching games and tell stories with them. And there's just so much to talk about with them with a toddler - colours, numbers, shapes, items of clothing, gender. We bought them for our 18-month-old, but our 4-year-old and 6-year-old like playing with them too, creating stories and all sorts of things.

They are indeed a simple toy, but are genuinely terrific.

Kenwood CH180 Mini Chopper - 300 Watt - White
Kenwood CH180 Mini Chopper - 300 Watt - White
Offered by K.K. Electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful little tool, 13 Mar. 2011
I bought this gadget based on the multitudinous recommendations on Amazon, as well as my long-time liking of Kenwood products. It's certainly very useful. I think my favourite thing about it is just that it's small, and when you've got a small quantity of something to chop it's easy to bring it out. I wouldn't bring out my full-size food processor for one onion, for instance. But the mini chopper is great for just that sort of thing. By being judicious with the power button, you can vary the fineness of your chopping, which is convenient. I wouldn't say that it's changed the way I cook, but it's certainly a useful little gadget.

Ticket to Ride Europe
Ticket to Ride Europe
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family game, 26 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Ticket to Ride Europe (Toy)
I bought this game based solely on the excellent reviews it had received - had never seen it before, let alone played it. It is terrific fun. A great, proper adult game, but it was even fun for our six-year-old who was able to join in with minimal assistance. It took nearly an hour to play a full game, which I think is about right. Highly recommended. Very straightforward game play; good strategy; not too complicated to get to grips with but at the same time thoughtful and well-executed.