Profile for D. Downs > Reviews

Content by D. Downs

D. Downs "Danielle" (Harrogate)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Iomega 35888 StorCentre ix2-dl (Diskless) 2 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure
Iomega 35888 StorCentre ix2-dl (Diskless) 2 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure
Offered by Express Box Limited
Price: 97.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and straight forward for my home network use, 7 Nov 2012
Before purchasing this NAS box the thought of installing 2 internal hard drives into an enclosure then connecting to my home network was a scary prospect, I'm certainly not a techie!.

For a number of years I've been taking photos and downloading music then saving them to the HDD on my PC and then sharing it with my IPhone and I Pad. After losing some of the early photos of my children taken in 2005 due a failed HDD I realised that saving all my content to one source was a big risk. I've also recently got myself a couple of internet TV's (Samsung UE40ES6710) so my thought behind getting a NAS box was to have one central storage / backup device in the house where everything could be saved and could also be accessed on the network from the I Pad, and my TV's.

After a fair amount of research I opted for the Iomega ix2 StoreCentre, the main basis for choosing the Iomega was :
- I wanted an empty enclosure because I already had one 3.5" 1TB drive
- I wanted a two bay unit so I could save my data mirrored on both drives (RAID 1)
- I wanted a fast unit so my data could be accessed quickly
- Price and brand name were also important to me

Upon receiving this Iomega unit I was surprised how compact and small it is, the two Toshiba 1TB HDD drives (DT01ACA100) I had simply slotted into place after the front cover of the NAS box was clipped off. I then proceeded to follow the paper instructions that were provided, it was all fairly straight forward to setup and attach to my network connecting it to my Virgin Router with the cable provided. Visiting myiomega.com as instructed allowed me to configure the NAS box, I skipped past most of the functions though I'm sure at some point I'll go back and look into the cloud storage.

To my joy after transferring all my backed up images and music I could simply access it all from my TV using Samsung's AllShare app. The process has been so straight forward I don't know why I was so worried, now with scheduled backups from my PC I know all my precious data is safe and very accessible. Having a USB port on the box has also come in really handy for getting quick access to files from a USB stick, I simply plugged in a 32gb stick and played 3 downloaded episodes of the `Walking Dead' straight to my TV.

I genuinely don't have any issues with this product and from a home use point of view I would certainly recommend it.

Samsung UE40ES6710 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Smart TV with Built-in Wi-Fi and 2 Pairs of 3D Glasses - White (New for 2012)Toshiba DT01ACA0100 1TB 3.5 inch SATA 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2014 2:03 PM GMT

TDK T78834 TBC8211 Boombox CD Player + AM/FM Radio with LED Display & Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW Playback

5.0 out of 5 stars A good all rounder, 1 Nov 2012
I still have a large CD collection and I wanted to be able to use them for the time that I'm not out and about with my IPod. I also wanted something that was cheap enough for the kids to use in their playroom.

What I have found when I received this TDK Boom box is something that ticked my basic requirement boxes and much more. The sound quality is surprisingly good, the radio reception is spot on and the Auxiliary line-in jack allows me to connect my IPod for easy access to a large selection of music. For the price point I would have no hesitation in recommending this product, a great buy!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2013 10:44 AM GMT

Storage Options 53394 BabyCam Nursery Wireless Digital Video Baby Monitor with 7 Inch Screen, Night Light & 2-Way Talk

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what i needed !, 23 Aug 2012
My kids are older now so I bought this baby cam to keep an eye / ear on them when they go to bed at night. We found the need as up on the top floor of a three story terrace you can't hear what is going on from the ground floor, positioned on the landing it picks up any noise from talking or TV's being turned on. It's also ideal having the two way talk function for a stern `GET BACK TO BED!'.

When I got this delivered I was surprised at how big the box was, it's very informative and consumer friendly (ideal for a shop display in Mothercare) however it's bigger than it needs to be and is filled with an excessive amount of foam packaging.

Inside the box you get :
Manual - In English only, simple and well illustrated all very straight forward.
Warranty Card - Your details to be posted or emailed back.
TV link cable - 3.5mm Jack to the 7" screen and Red, White and Yellow RCA connectors to the TV.
A 6V and 12V mains adaptor - both have different size connection pins so you can't plug them into the wrong device.
Wall mounting screws and wall plugs for the camera - Not sure why none would be provided for the screen?
Camera - The night light is a nice addition, it is also nice to see a battery compartment in case you didn't want to use the mains (4 x AA batteries required)
7" screen - A decent size, shapely rounded edges, simple to use navigation and a good and sturdy stand for keeping it upright. It's a shame there is no battery compartment.

In use I would agree that the image quality isn't as good as is portrayed on the website and the box but it is more than adequate (the box does say `Screen image enhanced for illustrative purposes'). The two way talk has come in very handy and the range of the signal is very impressive, through a number of walls we managed to get a perfect signal from the neighbours house. With this range the addition of a battery powered screen would have been ideal giving a much more mobile solution to keeping an eye on your baby / kids.

Based on quality and value for money its well worthy of the 4 stars I have given, I do feel that it should be a bit cheaper, 99.99 or 89.99 I would have probably given it 5 stars.

Dyson DC30 DC31 & DC34 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Wall Mounting Bracket Part No: 918765-01
Offered by SPARES-2-GO
Price: 15.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Required for most, but expensive for what it is, 22 Aug 2012
This wall mount is well made in a ridged but none brittle plastic. It has the option to mount flat against a wall or sideways on, screws and wall plugs are provided. The power cable is held neatly and firmly in place allowing it to be charged with no hassle when docked (when fully charged the light on the wall plug goes out)

This really is perfect and ideal for the job but like other reviewers have pointed out it is overpriced for what it is, for the price of a Dyson you would expect a piece of plastic that probably costs 50p to produce to come free in the box.

Dyson DC34 Multi Floor Handheld Vacuum with Longer Run Time
Dyson DC34 Multi Floor Handheld Vacuum with Longer Run Time
Offered by UK SUPPLYS DIRECT EXPEDITED DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS FREE!
Price: 149.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, a handy addition, 22 Aug 2012
We have recently moved into a three story house and the worst part about vacuuming is doing the stairs, with so many stairs I knew a hand held vacuum would be the solution. I choose Dyson because we have had an upright Dyson for about 10 years now and the suction is still really good (if you keep up to cleaning the filters).

Upon receiving this DC34 I found it well packaged with a modest number of accessories, the unit itself is very lightweight, almost like a child's toy. The suction power is nowhere near that of my upright mains powered Dyson however it does do the job required well and it is quick and easy to empty. I particularly like the main attachment that offers duel function (much better than having two separate attachments). Not only is it perfect for the stairs but I've also found it ideal for light fittings, cob webbed room corners and crumbs in the kitchen. The battery soon runs out if you get carried away.

Since buying the DC34 I quickly realised that I would need a wall mounting bracket that would allow me to store it neatly and also charge at the same time. This is the one that I purchased http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006YSTX6Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00. More than ideal for the job but expensive for what it is and with the price tag of the DC34 I would really have expected this to come for free.

In summary the let downs of this product are the cost of the unit and accessories, the battery life and the limited suction power. However having said that in use there are many other features that redeem it and make it worth the 4 stars I have given.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2013 7:26 AM BST

Sony ICDUX522B.CE7 Digital Voice Recorder with Music Player and USB Connection
Sony ICDUX522B.CE7 Digital Voice Recorder with Music Player and USB Connection

5.0 out of 5 stars Time for an upgrade, 24 July 2012
Just over a year on and after being really pleased with the last SONY dictation unit i bought I thought it only fitting that I should go down the SONY route again. The reason for the upgrade is I simply outgrew the features on the basic Sony ICD-BX112 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2 GB - MP3 (fantastic entry level dictation). The biggest drawback of the ICD-BX112 is the fact there is no PC connection or means of easily getting recordings off the devise. This ICD-UX522 comes with a direct PC Link via a USB connection that neatly folds away into the unit. The 2gb built in memory and direct PC link is ideal offering 3hrs recording at the highest linear PCM setting (CD quality) or 536 hours !!! at the lowest setting. However if you don't download your files regularly there is also a microSD slot that will allow weeks of recording if you were to put a 32gb card in there (battery life permitting, the box says 24 hours constant recording).

The ICD-UX522 comes in quite large blister packaging, just like the ICD-BX112 upon opening I found that the main reason for the size of packaging was to house the multiple language instruction manuals (not the most responsible use of paper or packaging). The ICD-UX522 dictation unit is very small and lightweight (W 3.5cm, L 10cm, D 1.5cm). Also in the packaging is PC Application Software Sound Organizer supplied on a CD, Stereo Headphones, Carry pouch, NiMH rechargeable battery and a USB extension cable.

Using this dictation is very simple and quite intuitive, the screen is very clear and easy to navigate. One feature that stands out is the `Intelligent Noise Cut for Clear Speech Playback' it eliminates most background noise when recording so you only hear the clear speech that you need, if you are typing at the same time as talking when playing back the recording you can't hear the typing. I haven't tried adding any MP3 music tracks and I'm not sure I will as I have an IPOD but if you didn't have an MP3 playback device already this would be an ideal solution to have it all on one device.

The main advantages over the more basic model that I see are :
Direct PC link
Expandable memory
Rechargeable battery
Clearer playback
Slightly smaller but still very ergonomically useable
Looks better
Includes a carry pouch to keep it safe and clean

Very much value for money at this price point and I hopefully won't need to upgrade again or for a very long time.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2012 2:35 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning addition to any home, 13 July 2012
This World Map wall sticker is truly stunning, since we have had it it's been a really talking point for friends and family that visit, it's a little bit unusual and not something that many people would have the confidence to stick to your wall.

The delivery service was prompt and it turned up rolled into a clear plastic tube that unscrewed at the middle. Inside the tube the stick was in perfect condition between a piece of clear sticky plastic and the paper backing. Also in the tube were fitting instructions for dry or wet application to your wall. Lastly there is also a sheet of place marking dots for you to stick to locations you have visited or may want to visit.

Having fitted a wall sticker before I was fairly confident to jump straight in, I attached it to the wall where I wanted it with masking tape then proceeded to peal the white backing paper off, I did it side to side rather than top to bottom as the instructions said, my reason for this was it was long and thin (it worked well). I was then left with the map and clear plastic sheet stuck to the wall, I then had to peel back the clear plastic leaving the map behind, it was time consuming but it worked really well (word of warning, don't press the plastic sheet onto the wall too much or you may take the paint off). As I've already said I'm really pleased with the results and all of the little islands do seem to be stuck to the wall really securely.

I hope you agree from the two pictures I have uploaded that it looks great, I can recommend the quality, ease of application and I feel it represents good value for money. I will be recommending this and other designs on offer to friends and family.

Curved Design Lever Door Handles in Satin Stainless Steel
Curved Design Lever Door Handles in Satin Stainless Steel
Offered by Comyn Ching Architectural Hardware
Price: 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good buy, same quality you would find in a DIY store but at a fraction of the price., 11 July 2012
My first port of call for replacing a broken door handle was my local DIY stores, both offering a fairly limited range. Finding one vaguely similar to the style that I already had I found it had a price tag of 30 !!.

I looked on line and found these nearly identical to what I already have and at a fraction of the price. I would have liked to see a larger image gallery to get a better idea of what the product looked like. However I was very pleased with the product when I received it, the handle is quite solid and is made from one piece of metal (this is when my last one failed as the two pieces of metal came apart). In the box with the handles you find every thing you need for a quick installation. I was impressed to find two forms of screw fixings provided and an alum key.

In use they are very sturdy, the spring mechanism that pulls the handle back into place after opening is a little stiff but nothing some oil won't cure.

GENUINE PURLFROST Etch Effect Privacy Window Film 1m x 1.22m. **Supplied with free professional application tool and 5 voucher off Purlfrost website**Premium brand.
Offered by WindowFilmStudio
Price: 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars In summary, looks great and easy to apply., 8 Jun 2012
Before buying this product I was a bit dubious about the results I may end up with, I watched a few of the online videos on how to install it and some of the finishing techniques that you can use.

The first window that I came to do was my bathroom window, quite a large sash window so two panes of glass, the top pain also has a curved top to make things a little more difficult. I decided to have a clear 2cm boarded around each etched panel so I cut the sheet to size before applying. The guidelines on the back sheet are very helpful to draw out the size you want before cutting, the guide also helps you keep to a straight line. When it came to applying this first sheet to the window I was very careful and it probably took me about 10 minutes because I wanted to make sure it was spot on, it's very easy to adjust the position while the glass surface is still wet but once you have squiggied some of the water out it is much harder to move it around on the glass. The second panel was a little harder to do because of the curved top but a I traced the curve onto a piece of paper and then drew a curve 2cm's in from it to allow for my 2cm boarder, it worked perfectly and the second panel was much quicker to apply. I'm really pleased with the finished article and the ease of doing it.

I bought a second lot of patterned frosting for the main downstairs window's at the front of our house, again sash windows, three of them in a bay. I only did the bottom half this time so I didn't have the hassle of the curves at the top. I didn't bother leaving a boarder either and just fitted them right up to the window frame, I did 3 pains about 2m squared of glass in just over 30 minutes and again the finished result looked very professional.

In summary, looks great and easy to apply.

Labgear Cable Entry/Exit BRUSH Faceplate for Wall Outlet - Single Gang
Labgear Cable Entry/Exit BRUSH Faceplate for Wall Outlet - Single Gang
Offered by MCM-Sales
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good solution for bringing cables through the wall neatly, 8 Jun 2012
This faceplate isn't something I found easy to get in shops so when I stumbled upon it on Amazon and at this price point it was worth a try. I'm using it to bring through Wii connection cables that I've dropped down through my stud wall from my wall mounted TV. It would have been nice to have the choice of finishes on this plate as all the others in my house are brushed steel, so this white plastic one doesn't really fit in, however its mounted behind a sideboard and then I have brought the cables through the back of the sideboard to connect to the Wii inside.

I found it very easy to fit, not using a back box I cut a small hole in the plasterboard wall brought the cables through then screwed the faceplate directly to the plasterboard. It really is an ideal solution for bringing cables through the wall neatly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5