Profile for Danny Colyer > Reviews

Content by Danny Colyer

Danny Colyer (Bristol United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Macallen Professional Modelling Balloons - 260q Pack of 100
Macallen Professional Modelling Balloons - 260q Pack of 100
Offered by Pakeeza

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Qualatex, despite the "Q", 3 Jun. 2014
These balloons are sold as 260q. The 260 part of the designation (2" diameter, 60" length when fully inflated) is accurate. The q (which conventionally signifies that the balloon is made by Qualatex) is not. These are not Qualatex balloons (hence the low price).

These balloons feel noticeably less supple than Qualatex. They are harder to inflate by mouth and more prone to bursting during tight twists. They're OK for simple, one-balloon models, but not suitable for more complicated or multi-balloon models.

On the plus side, the colours are lovely.

They're OK for a hobbyist wanting some cheap balloons to practice with. For a professional entertainer they will represent poor value for money - models will take longer to make and will fail more quickly and more frequently than with Qualatex balloons.

Elite VIP Clips Uni Bottle Cage
Elite VIP Clips Uni Bottle Cage
Offered by nanopreise

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 25 May 2014
In 1994 I wanted to fit a bottle cage to a unicycle. I found the Zefal Gizmo bottle cage clips, which did the job perfectly.

Fast forward 20 years and I again had need of such a device - not to replace the Zefal clips, which are still going strong, but to mount bottle cages to my son's bike and to my newest unicycle. I ended up with the Elite VIP clips, which at the time were the closest I could find to the Zefal clips.

What a disappointment. The instructions were poor (being entirely pictorial), the clips were incredibly fiddly to fit and they turned out to be incompatible with the first cage I tried to fit (fortunately I had more than one spare bottle cage laying around).

If you want to fit a bottle cage to a bike without bosses then these are a usable solution if you are patient, dextrous and can't find the Zefal Gizmo clips. Otherwise, avoid them.

Zefal Gizmo Universal Bottle Cage Mount - Black, Large
Zefal Gizmo Universal Bottle Cage Mount - Black, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable product, glad it's still available, 25 May 2014
I used a pair of these 20 years ago to mount a bottle cage to a unicycle. They were easy to fit and are still holding up well after two decades of abuse, including off-roading and hundreds of hours of unicycle hockey.

I recently needed something similar to mount bottle cages to my son's bike and to my newest unicycle. Sadly I couldn't find these at the time and ended up with the Elite VIP bottle cage clips which, while the closest I could find, were extremely fiddly to fit and are overall nowhere near as good.

If you want to fit a bottle cage and don't have bottle cage bosses, you won't find anything better than the Zefal Gizmo.

iGloo Micro USB Mains Charger For Amazon Kindle Fire, Fire HD and Kindle Paperwhite Tablet - Black
Offered by technoplay ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good charger for multiple devices, 29 Jan. 2014
I've tested this charger with a Kindle Fire HD, a Tesco Hudl and a Google Nexus 7. It topped up all three devices with no problems.

Like the chargers originally provided with the Hudl and the Nexus, this charger has a 5V output. Unlike the original chargers it has only a 1A output (the originals are 2A). Consequently, I expect this charger to charge the devices more slowly than the originals.

I can't comment on longevity (it only arrived this morning), but outwardly it appears to be well made. It gets warm (as you'd expect) but not hot in use. I don't anticipate any problems with it if properly looked after (i.e. no excessive tugging or bending of the cable).

Zombies!!! Director's Cut Second Edition Board Game
Zombies!!! Director's Cut Second Edition Board Game

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as you'd expect, 18 Sept. 2013
I've played this game with quite a few people. Most (at least the adults) have been disappointed.

There seem to be two reasons for the disappointment. First, while it's an enjoyable enough game, it's not as much fun as people expect a zombie game to be. More important, though, is the playing time. It tends to hold people's interest for an hour, maybe two, but a full game can easily take 3 or 4 hours (with players being sent back to the start every time they die).

Despite the subject matter, it's a surprisingly good game to play with children. While the box suggests an age range of 12 & up, I'd suggest 8 & up. I've given up taking this game to conventions, but I'll still quite happily play it at home with the kids. I recommend it as a family game.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Cheese Touch Board Game
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Cheese Touch Board Game

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a great game, but OK for a child with a Wimpy Kid obsession, 15 Feb. 2013
Trying to decide whether to let my kids spend their pocket money on this game, I was disappointed to find 20 reviews where people said that they liked or disliked it (or perhaps that they disliked the packaging) and none that actually described the game.

The main components of the game are a small board with a short track (15 spaces between start and finish) running round the outside, 5 decks of cards (one in each of 5 categories) and the eponymous Cheese Touch (represented by a slice of foam cheese).

In principle the game is a simple race from one end of the track to the other. Each space on the board corresponds to one of the categories that you have cards for. On your turn you draw a card in the category corresponding to the space that you finished your last turn on and do what it says on the card. Succeed and you get to move along the track. Fail and you get the Cheese Touch. You can't win the game while you have the Cheese Touch.

What you have to do varies from category to category, but for the most part success depends on how well you know the other players. In one category, for example, the card asks a question with a yes/no answer and you have to predict how the other players will answer. In another the card has an adverb printed on it (which you don't get to look at, the other players do) and you have to ask one or two of the other players to mime performing specific tasks in a manner described by the word on the card. Your task then is to work out from their mimes what word is on the card.

There is some ambiguity in the rules (on the adverb task you get to move forwards if you guess the word at your first attempt and you get the Cheese Touch if you haven't got it after 6 attempts, but we disagreed over whether you should move if you get the word on attempt 2-6). For the most part, though, the rules are clear and simple.

With hardly any strategy involved it's a pretty boring game for an adult to play, but my kids (9 & 11) enjoy it enough that it was probably worth the £8 that they paid for it from a market stall. I wouldn't say it was worth any more than that.

100% Brushed Cotton Traditional Nightshirt
100% Brushed Cotton Traditional Nightshirt

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for cold nights, 3 Feb. 2013
Having entered middle age I'm starting to feel the cold. I was contemplating buying a pair of pyjamas for cold nights and for the odd occasion when we go away with friends, but having slept in shorts on similar occasions in the past I really didn't think I could stand to sleep in trousers. So when another site presented me with the suggestion of a night shirt it seemed like a good idea. After looking around, this seemed to be the best one for me. It's warm, comfy and I'm so happy with it that I've just ordered another one.

The cap is great. I often wear a Buff on cold nights to keep my baldy bonce warm, but this is even better.

One slight word of caution: I ordered the claret stripe (not pictured on Amazon) for my first night shirt, expecting a red and white striped garment. What actually arrived was very similar to the blue and white striped shirt in the picture, but with red threads running through the white stripes. Which, as it happened, I rather liked, so no complaints from me there.

BT Graphite 2500 Trio DECT Digital Cordless Phone with Answer Machine - Black
BT Graphite 2500 Trio DECT Digital Cordless Phone with Answer Machine - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Should be better, 16 Dec. 2012
I have 3 real problems with these phones:
1) The caller ID doesn't simply display the caller's name. It alternates between displaying the name and the number, which means that if I don't immediately recognise the number then I have to watch the screen for a moment to find out who it is.

2) Every call is added to the new call log on every handset that doesn't answer it. What this means is that most of the time every handset displays the message "n new calls", and it's a PITA to clear this.

3) I thought that reviewers complaining about a limited number of ringtones were being ridiculous. 5 should be plenty. Unfortunately, 4 of them are very unpleasant sounds. Only one ringtone is bearable, and that one's still not great.

On top of all that, the phone book is slow to navigate and the sound quality is not as good as my previous phones (BT Freelance). Overall I would not recommend the Graphite 2500. If I was buying again I'd spend a bit more to get something with a bigger screen and a wider choice of ringtones.

Does God Get Diarrhea?: Flushing 4,000 Years Of Lies, Myths, And Fairy Tales Down The Toilet
by Odin Zeus McGaffer

4.0 out of 5 stars The drinking man's Richard Dawkins, 19 Jan. 2012
Imagine that "The God Delusion" had been written not by an Oxford professor, but by some angry bloke down the pub. That should give you a pretty good idea what to expect from this book. It lacks the intellectual rigour of Dawkins, indeed there are severe logical flaws in some of the arguments used, but nonetheless it's an entertaining read.

The book doesn't start well. The first 3 chapters are little more than a rant against religion, particularly Christianity, repeatedly stating the obvious in such a way that those for whom the obvious needs to be stated will never get past the first chapter.

Then it gets funny, starting with McGaffer's hilarious summary of the Creation myth at the beginning of chapter 4. It's still a rant, but with a sense of humour, constantly poking fun at Christians.

Some of the spelling and grammatical errors are horrendous. As the book is published by the author (presumably no publishing house would touch it), McGaffer probably lacked the services of a good editor.

The book is written for the US market, where I understand that it is common for atheists to feel isolated. If you're an atheist trapped in a religious community then I can see that this book might make you feel less alone (although you certainly wouldn't want to get caught with it in a violently religious community). For those of us in more enlightened communities (I'm in the secular UK, most of my friends are atheists, few are deeply religious and none could be described as fundamentalist), "Does God Get Diarrhea (sic)" doesn't have quite the same importance, but it's still a damn good laugh.

ARCHOS 1 Vision 4GB MP3 Player
ARCHOS 1 Vision 4GB MP3 Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 16 Jan. 2011
My children (6 & 8) were given these for Christmas. After 3 weeks of use I can't comment on long term durability, but otherwise I've been very impressed by the quality for the price.

It's not a patch on my Sony Walkman, of course. The library update's a bit flaky. After synching an album to the device and updating it seems fairly random whether it'll be properly indexed, though it can always be found under the "Files" menu. The buttons feel clunky and cheaply made, when charging there's nothing on the display to show when it's fully charged, and the manual could do with more detail (if only as reassurance that I haven't missed anything in my exploration of the device).

But it's compact, the menu structure is intuitive and easy to use and the device generally does everything we want it to do.

If you want an MP3 player for daily use, or with more storage capacity, and you can afford to pay more, then it's worth paying extra for something better. As a first MP3 player for a child, though, I think the 1 Vision will be hard to beat.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3