Profile for Juan McGuinness > Reviews

Content by Juan McGuinness

Juan McGuinness "Rhumsaa" (Ellan Vannin)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Zyliss Burger Press with Adjustable Thickness
Zyliss Burger Press with Adjustable Thickness

4.0 out of 5 stars it’s purely an aesthetic comment and one based on a general enjoyment of traditional looking kitchen equipment, 15 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve used burger presses before and frequently found that they become more hassle than they are worth, producing equal or lesser quality products than shop bought efforts at a much increased level of mess. My main gripe to this end is the awkward nature of cleaning them and the inevitable morsel of mince that escapes into the contraption never to be seen again until you have to throw the whole thing out in a huff. Therefore I have been pleasantly surprised by the simplicity of this design reducing the faff of cleaning immensely.

My one complaint is that for the price it doesn’t have that “feel” that you get with a metal press, it’s purely an aesthetic comment and one based on a general enjoyment of traditional looking kitchen equipment.

If you want to delve into the world of self-made barbeque burgers you won’t go far wrong with this product.

ANF Canine Lamb & Rice Adult, 3kg
ANF Canine Lamb & Rice Adult, 3kg

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth a try I suppose if you get a good deal and your dog likes it but can't recommend ..., 8 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At the full RRP I think this is an expensive option for the old hound. Also he didn't seem to be that much of a fan of this and frequently only ate it when obviously hungry and nothing else appeared. Ended up throwing half away from uneaten bowls. Worth a try I suppose if you get a good deal and your dog likes it but can't recommend on my experience.

The Duppy Share Golden Caribbean Rum 70 cl
The Duppy Share Golden Caribbean Rum 70 cl

4.0 out of 5 stars yo ho ho and a bottle of duppy's, 4 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
From an aesthetic point of view the bottle (especially cork stopper) is a delight and stands out amongst the others in the spirits cabinet. The aroma is sweet and heady, it stands out amongst the other rums and does give an aroma of the Caribbean that makes you think of beaches and sunny days.

From a pure taste it is smooth and quite flavoursome however I don’t think I could sip this over ice all night neat as it is almost overpowering compared to other spirits.

For the purposes of this review I created a Dark & Stormy taste test comparing this Rum against Goslings Black Seal (my premium choice favourite), Havana Club Especial (my personal favourite) and Bacardi (a control, if you will).

This is far and away a superior rum to Bacardi and adds a lot to the cocktail in comparison. Matching up against Goslings and Havana Club it compares on a par, any difference of opinion here is purely subjective and down to taste. I would happily have this as an alternative to either rum, however due to the premium pricing compared to Havana Club I don’t think it does enough to justify the additional money.

In summary you are paying a premium price for this rum, it is not undeserving of this price tag per se but for me there are better value for money options out there.

SanDisk Extreme SDHC 32 GB UHS-I U3 Memory Card 60 MB/s (SDSDXN-032G-G46)
SanDisk Extreme SDHC 32 GB UHS-I U3 Memory Card 60 MB/s (SDSDXN-032G-G46)

5.0 out of 5 stars I don’t have a 4K camera but my HD recording and sports modes are a dream with this – it feels like I have upgraded my Canon not, 21 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve used a lot of budget brand memory sticks in the past and my current camera still has a couple of 16Gb budget backups lurking in the bag, never had a problem with integrity of data or failure of the card. However the speed with which the pictures get written on to the memory card can be a frustrating experience when shooting in sport mode. This card solves all these issues, I am a long standing fan of SanDisk products but this one has really impressed me, I don’t have a 4K camera but my HD recording and sports modes are a dream with this – it feels like I have upgraded my Canon not just the memory stick. Fully recommended.

TRESemmé Cleanse and Renew Deep Cleansing Shampoo - 900 ml
TRESemmé Cleanse and Renew Deep Cleansing Shampoo - 900 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars I have happily used Tresemme conditioner for months now and always enjoyed ..., 14 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Full Disclosure: I’m bald and I use this shampoo on my beard.

I have happily used Tresemme conditioner for months now and always enjoyed the softening of my beard coupled with a pleasing smell. I find the shampoo to be equally as good and complimentary to their conditioner range. I enjoy the smell and it leaves my hair feeling soft and clean. I am also impressed by the size of the bottle providing many washes for the money compared to most shampoos off the shelf.

SanDisk Ultra SDSDQUA-032G Micro-SDXC 32 GB UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card 48 MB/s + SD Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars I have not had cause to use the adapter to turn it into a normal HD card but I can see this being extremely useful for taking ph, 14 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I obtained this for my HTC One mobile phone and have been very impressed by the speed of data transfer. I have used many SanDisk products over the years and have never been let down by the quality of their memory cards, this is no different.

I have not had cause to use the adapter to turn it into a normal HD card but I can see this being extremely useful for taking photos on my proper camera and quickly transferring to be uploaded on my mobile.

All in all I can fully recommend this product to achieve all your memory requirements.

Happiness by Design: Finding Pleasure and Purpose in Everyday Life
Happiness by Design: Finding Pleasure and Purpose in Everyday Life
by Paul Dolan

3.0 out of 5 stars The opening exercise of picking things that will make you happier and how much effort is required to achieve them ..., 3 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don’t know how to feel about this book, it’s opening section on the author and his battle with his stammer sets a strange scene that I’m not sure fits with the rest of the book. The opening exercise of picking things that will make you happier and how much effort is required to achieve them followed by a similar exercise at the end feels like a cheap method of the author justifying his success like so many management courses I have been on through work.
The language used in the book is plain talking which I appreciated so there is a minimum of buzz words or jargon. However I was left feeling pretty non plussed by the whole topic. I am not convinced that happiness can be measured or affected by the use of attention and effort as is suggested here, I’ve tried his techniques mentioned and feel no different about my day to day happiness. It’s clearly trying to set itself apart from the chicken soup for the soul brigade and the soft sciences but it misses the mark for me.

Philips A3PRO Philips Professional DJ headphones Black/Silver
Philips A3PRO Philips Professional DJ headphones Black/Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars The sound quality of these headphones is excellent, but then what else should you expect for ..., 29 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The sound quality of these headphones is excellent, but then what else should you expect for a big brand name product with this price tag? It's sole purpose as an item is to give good quality sound to your ears and it demands a hefty sum for this - the bare minimum I expect from this is excellent quality sound.

I am not sure from the name and sales pitch whether this is genuinely designed for a DJ and therefore as a casual listener in my own home I am not appreciating the options available as much as I should be. I don't think they are as fashionable as Beats say for the hipster about town who wants people to know he's listening to music from a 100 yard glance but I am happy to listen to them exclusively in the comfort of my front room. In fairness the ability to swap out the cable for an extended version is a great feature at this point (if an additional expense) but I have yet to really identify the benefits of swapping ears for optimum cabling. I suppose it's nice to have. The fit of the headphones is decent and quite adaptable although I would prefer a larger and more encompassing ear cushion area as these tend to sit on my ears which reduces comfort, I suppose an actual DJ will require them to be moved around the ear more so than I.

In summary these are great headphones but I suspect they are genuinely marketed at practical DJ use rather than general listeners so bear that in mind. From my point of view I can't go wild for the sound quality when it is simply fulfilling the expectations of the price tag and the rating reflects this in consideration with the other aspects.

Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate (PC)
Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate (PC)
Offered by London Photo

4.0 out of 5 stars the concept of using photoshop used to fill me with dread and I would quickly get lost amongst a sea of buttons and features tha, 27 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve never used any photo editing software before despite taking photos for many years, the concept of using photoshop used to fill me with dread and I would quickly get lost amongst a sea of buttons and features that always seemed to make my image worse. Thankfully the tutorials as well as easy to grasp interface has made this product an absolute doddle for me to pick up and run with, I feel I’m picking up more and more each time I use it and the program is full of useful tools and quick fixes to save the laborious processes that seemed to come along with Photoshop.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this program to a novice such as myself and I am sure that someone who is more au fait with these products would gain a lot of use out of it at a reasonable price, however I have reserved it to a 4 star grade as I suspect Photoshop is the king of this market and all others are imitators.

Webbox Cats Delight Lick-e-Lix Chicken, 15g, Pack of 10
Webbox Cats Delight Lick-e-Lix Chicken, 15g, Pack of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars I was however pleasantly surprised and happily proved wrong as these went down a storm in ..., 22 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had my doubts when ordering this product as I didn’t really see yoghurt as being a big hit with cats compared to some fresh meat or catnip. I was however pleasantly surprised and happily proved wrong as these went down a storm in the feline community. Swiftly devoured with wide eyes seeking more seems to be a 5 star review from my moggies.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12