Profile for Juan McGuinness > Reviews

Content by Juan McGuinness

Juan McGuinness "Rhumsaa" (Ellan Vannin)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Tabasco Fruity & Fiery Habanero Sauce & Marinade 280g
Tabasco Fruity & Fiery Habanero Sauce & Marinade 280g
Offered by We Luv Shopping
Price: 6.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Spicy Marinade, 22 Aug 2014
Very impressive marinade for chicken. Normally when these sauces say they have habanero in or are spicy the end result is disappointing mildness with a hint of bland. This one however does pack a bit of a punch which is a refreshing change. The sweet fruit side balances this nicely and the yellow colouring is a nice change from the standard red/brown of most sauces and rubs.

Recommended for BBQ season!

Salad Love: How to Create a Lunchtime Salad, Every Weekday, in 20 Minutes or Less
by David Bez

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book to leaf through, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been pleasantly surprised with this book, it’s offered me far more than I anticipated when I chose it. The dressing options have been a particular delight but generally it’s opened my eyes to the wider options available for a salad beyond the classic lettuce, cucumber and tomato I grew up on.

I don’t feel it strays too much into the realm of fantasy kitchen salads, there’s not much in there that I wouldn’t happily make in my own humble kitchen or need to visit an upmarket deli in order to obtain specialist ingredients. It’s just good ideas using good ingredients.

Well worth a purchase if you’re wanting more variety in the summer or beyond.

Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
by Tori Haschka
Price: 10.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the recipe book shelf, 12 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Possibly the best recipe book I have found that deals with the real life issue of cutting out and/or replacing carbs. Having grown up with the Carb being centre stage in all my favourite meals I have found it difficult to find meals I enjoy without getting boring and repetitive in the realm of salads or soup. This book wins me over by recognising this and providing meal options that retain the old feel of past favourites while adding in carb replacements - mashed butter bean colcannon for example is a revelation.

The layout and presentation of the book is excellent, the descriptions and instructions are conversational but also clear and easy to follow and the pictures are appetising.

I especially liked the introduction where the carb replacements were laid out and discussed up front so that you had a better understanding of what was being used and why rather than suddenly be hit by the emergence of Chia Seeds in a recipe and being left floundering.

My criticisms of it are it feels like while striving to get to 100 recipes some desperation entries made it - I can't justify a recipe for soft boiled eggs and replacing toast for asparagus spears as being a valuable addition to my repertoire.

If you are looking to try more meals without carbs and want something normal still - buy this book.

Dynamic Fat Burner 800 mg Coffee Bean Extract with GCA Natural Weight Loss Supplement - Pack of 60 Capsules
Price: 13.33

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Bean Slimming, 25 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve been taking these tablets for around 2-3 weeks now and can’t say I have noticed any change in my weight, body shape or energy levels.

I have coupled this supplement with regular exercise and my normal diet but it has not provided any marked difference compared to my physique without the supplement.

I noticed no negative side effects with this product but I don’t believe it has provided any boost to my weight loss goals. Despite it having coffee bean extract in the title I didn't get a caffeine energy level boost that I expected.

SlimX 1000 Ultra Formula Thermogenic Weight Loss Supplement

Are You Happy Now?
by Richard Babcock
Price: 7.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy if uninspiring read, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Are You Happy Now? (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book to be very easy to read and flew through it in 2 sittings of a couple of hours each. The pages keep turning but I certainly didn't feel like I couldn't put it down.

It’s not going to challenge you in any way and at the end of it you will not feel particularly different or inspired or uplifted. I found it to be the ultimate example of a holiday or travel book, you can pick it up and relax with it.

The main character John Lincoln seems to have very few endearing qualities and is generally a failure, he doesn’t seem to learn much through the book and ends up just meekly accepting his life and decides to be happy with what he was miserable about in the first place. In fact in many ways he is in a worse position by the end of the book than he was at the start. Ultimately I wasn't investe4d in his story and at the end I couldn't care less what life altering decision he made. His interactions with other characters in the book don't feel natural and at no point do you feel any connection or warmth from the conversations.

Whilst a speedy and enjoyable read I did find myself a bit disappointed by the ending and general pacing of the book. Whilst the headline question of being happy is technically answered the questions that appear throughout the book are categorically left hanging. All in all it felt like the book was weaving a large number of currents and stories but was given 5 minutes to finish up and get out of the pool so knocked out a quick ending.

It's not the worst book I've ever read but I think if I had paid full price for it I'd have been left feeling disappointed.

Office Space [1999] [DVD]
Office Space [1999] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ron Livingston
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Cult Comedy, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Office Space [1999] [DVD] (DVD)
Probably worth it for the iconic printer destruction moment alone.

If you've ever worked in an office this is the ultimate dull reality meets secret fantasy, it plays out the scenario that a lot of people have had in their head of how things could work out if they stopped getting stressed and stopped caring.

Great script, great acting and a number of moments which have become part of modern culture. Hey.... if Family Guy do a parody of a scene you've made it right?

SanDisk SDCZ36-016G-B35 16 GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Black
SanDisk SDCZ36-016G-B35 16 GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Black
Offered by IvoryEgg Limited
Price: 13.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable Drive, 20 Jun 2014
Excellent storage device for the price and has survived the past 5 years of use and pockets brilliantly.

A larger size than the 16GB I bought in 2009 would be the option now but other than that I have had no reason to consider replacing this and have had no problems with transfer speed or data issues.

Homefront Pure Luxury Soft Washable Electric Heated Chocolate Throw (160 x 130 cms)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Winter Warmer, 20 Jun 2014
At the risk of sounding like an OAP this throw is the ultimate winter nights option to reduce your heating bills. It's lovely and soft, big enough to be totally covered on a sofa and the heat settings are adjustable and work brilliantly to keep you toasty. There is a built in timer so it doesn't stay on all the time should you fall asleep (which is very likely when you're this warm and comfortable.

I've not washed it yet so unsure how it would cope with that but it has done a great job from the box and have no complaints.

The Three Count: My Life in Stripes as a WWE Referee
The Three Count: My Life in Stripes as a WWE Referee
Price: 6.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable book from a different perspective, 20 Jun 2014
Have read a lot of wrestling auto-biographies both good and bad but this is the first book I've seen written by a referee.

It's refreshing to hear different stories and see familiar tales told from a different perspective. A lot of wrestlers books devolve into twisting history in order to make them look better so it is enjoyable to see a book from a guy who has no axe to grind or reason to lie. He's honest and witty, the book flows nicely and is well written. There is little in the way of "dirt" but for me that adds to the appeal, it's just a good life story of someone who worked hard and made a life out of a business he loved.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9