Profile for Juan McGuinness > Reviews

Content by Juan McGuinness

Juan McGuinness "Rhumsaa" (Ellan Vannin)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Russell Hobbs 20170 Illumina Toaster - Stainless Steel
Russell Hobbs 20170 Illumina Toaster - Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since sliced bread?, 19 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ok…. It’s got LED lights. So what? I may or may not have made toast for people purely to show off the changing colours and turned buttering a slice in the dark into an art form. But I digress…

Seeing past the funky disco light show this is a nice stainless steel toaster that doesn’t lurk in the corner of the kitchen looking suspiciously cheap but stands proudly alongside that ridiculous coffee maker you got 3 Christmases ago and last used 3 Boxing Days ago.

More importantly it makes a good piece of toast, consistently and quickly. If you have a member of your household who prefers his toast to resemble charcoal you won’t find your golden brown slice of perfection gradually creeping into burnt territory over a few slices. Also if you accidentally leave it on the higher setting I have found the toast to still be quite deliciously soft and pliable just a heavily browned exterior compared to the charred husks I have experienced previously.

All in all I have been very pleasantly surprised by this toaster which I initially dismissed as just a light show gimmick.

Hama Dispersion Headset, Green
Hama Dispersion Headset, Green
Offered by HDIUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Headset, 16 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got these for an all day LAN I was attending so wore them for just about 12 hours. For the price (reduced from £24 to £7) I think you'd be hard pressed to get a better quality headset for gaming. The sound was of decent quality for the price, certainly more than good enough for gaming and listening to podcasts or general PC use. More importantly the headphones were comfy to wear during an extended period of use and fitted easily over my head and ears. The set up was easy and the mini jack plugged straight into my sound card and both headset and mic worked straight away with no hassle. The feel of the material suggests they are not flimsy or cheap rigid plastic prone to breaking easily but time will tell.

The colour for me is utterly terrible, I love lime green as a bright punky style and I see what they’ve done by going for a different look compared to classic black or silver but it reminds me of a half sucked boiled sweet.

In conclusion these are better than I expected from Hama who I associate with camera equipment rather than headphones, for under £10 I think it is a genuine bargain and as long as you don’t expect top tier Dolby surround sound quality these will serve you well. I’ve settled on 4 stars for a rating as the headset would not be as impressive at the RRP of £24 and I have not had enough use of them to gauge their durability.

Shadows Over Camelot
Shadows Over Camelot

5.0 out of 5 stars Lancelot of love for this game, 8 Sep 2014
This review is from: Shadows Over Camelot (Toy)
This game has been added to our playlist a few months ago and has quickly become one of my favourite games. For me it is the perfect game that combines the enjoyable co-operative aspects of games like Pandemic 2013 with the intrigue and suspicion of The Resistance 2nd Edition Board Game or Ultimate Werewolf.

Firstly, everything about the game feels nice and has a good quality about it. The artwork on the boards and cards is excellent and the models are nicely detailed for moulded plastic - one day I might even try my hand at painting them a little bit.
The game mechanics are actually really simple to pick up, each player gets a card to identify their character which outlines the actions to be taken each turn and the special attribute of their character - it's tough to mess up what you have to do when it's written down in front of you.

The big selling point for me with this game is the introduction of a potential traitor in your midst. You can play it without a traitor and I fully recommend this to be the way you learn the mechanics and introduce a new player to the game but once you are used to playing it the addition of a traitor puts this game onto another level of entertainment where every action is shrouded with suspicion and poker faces become a necessity to survive and win. I'd recommend watching Wil Wheaton's Tabletop YouTube show where they played this game to get a feel for how the traitor has an impact on the game.

The difficulty level of the game is set just right so that you rarely romp home to victory and the tension of a traitor still being at large can make the final decisions at the end of a game quite nail biting. I've not felt that I have "worked out" this game yet and there is enough variety to make each game quite different.

The only negative remark I could make about this game is the price makes it one of the more expensive games out there but I do feel you get value for money out of the quality of the items and playability.

Gaspari Nutrition MyoFusion Probiotic Series 2268 g Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake Powder
Offered by Nature's Remedies

3.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet, 4 Sep 2014
I got this protein shake as I was searching for one that didn’t taste so horrible I couldn’t face it, as a fan of chocolate peanut butter and having seen some good reviews for taste I plumped for it. Initially I found it to be excellent tasting and quite thick like a proper shake. Over time I tried other protein shakes and when I went back to this tub to finish it off I was shocked at how sickly sweet it was compared to the protein shakes I had become accustomed to and struggled to drink it.

When you crunch the numbers all you’re after in these products is something you can stomach which delivers the highest amount of protein per £ to you without giving too many calories (in the form of sugar for instance).

At the current price with so much sugar I would not buy this again but if you need to have something sweet and tasty in order to get the protein shake in you (like I did at one point) I can’t fault this option.

Star Wars X-Wing: Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack
Star Wars X-Wing: Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Falcon Fantastic, 4 Sep 2014
It's a beautifully made and decorated replica model of one of, if not the most, iconic ships in the Star Wars movies/universe.

As a keen player of the game and a fan of the franchise this is a win win for me as it's a great model to have on a shelf as much as a strategic part of your X-Wing fleet.

The first "big" ship for the rebels it stands out on the board as something very different, it plays differently from the majority of other ships and becomes a real focal point. I won't divert into tactics or other such things, if you're in any doubt as to whether you should buy it or not just remember - Han always shoots first.

Oral-B Trizone 6000 Smart Series With Bluetooth Technology Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

3.0 out of 5 stars Trizone a bit harder, 4 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think this toothbrush is proof that we have gone too far with technology and yet still I use it and feel like I am living the dream in a futuristic movie.

I’ve had a few electric toothbrushes before but they all had the circular brush head which was half the size of a normal brush leaving me feeling like I was having to individually brush a tooth at a time. This bad boy is much more like a tooth brush with a lateral movement – it feels like your teeth are getting a good clean while you use it and I am sure I saw a difference in my first smile.

The fact that a toothbrush has Bluetooth is pretty amazing on multiple levels, I have used the app on my phone in conjunction with the brush but for some reason I expected more stats or fancy wizardry than just a timer followed by a suggestion I floss and rinse with mouthwash. Also when I forget to brush for a morning I get a little alert on my phone telling me off which brings back memories of a time when I was knee high to a grasshopper. The main aspect I have been surprised at with the timer is that I never brushed for half as long as I thought I did – 2 minutes feels like FOREVER moving that round my mouth, clearly I was a 40 second wonder and lied to myself about the passage of time.

In summary this is a funky piece of kit and I’ve amused myself telling people about the fanciest gadget for the most basic of tasks but…. The price is insane for a toothbrush and I don’t feel the benefit is worth the price. If you can afford it though – go wild.

P.S. They missed a trick by not setting the timer to 2.30 I think – comedy gold.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2014 5:20 PM BST

Tabasco Fruity & Fiery Habanero Sauce & Marinade 280g
Tabasco Fruity & Fiery Habanero Sauce & Marinade 280g
Offered by We Luv Shopping

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Spicy Marinade, 22 Aug 2014
Very impressive marinade for chicken. Normally when these sauces say they have habanero in or are spicy the end result is disappointing mildness with a hint of bland. This one however does pack a bit of a punch which is a refreshing change. The sweet fruit side balances this nicely and the yellow colouring is a nice change from the standard red/brown of most sauces and rubs.

Recommended for BBQ season!

Salad Love: How to Create a Lunchtime Salad, Every Weekday, in 20 Minutes or Less
by David Bez

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book to leaf through, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been pleasantly surprised with this book, it’s offered me far more than I anticipated when I chose it. The dressing options have been a particular delight but generally it’s opened my eyes to the wider options available for a salad beyond the classic lettuce, cucumber and tomato I grew up on.

I don’t feel it strays too much into the realm of fantasy kitchen salads, there’s not much in there that I wouldn’t happily make in my own humble kitchen or need to visit an upmarket deli in order to obtain specialist ingredients. It’s just good ideas using good ingredients.

Well worth a purchase if you’re wanting more variety in the summer or beyond.

Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
by Tori Haschka

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the recipe book shelf, 12 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Possibly the best recipe book I have found that deals with the real life issue of cutting out and/or replacing carbs. Having grown up with the Carb being centre stage in all my favourite meals I have found it difficult to find meals I enjoy without getting boring and repetitive in the realm of salads or soup. This book wins me over by recognising this and providing meal options that retain the old feel of past favourites while adding in carb replacements - mashed butter bean colcannon for example is a revelation.

The layout and presentation of the book is excellent, the descriptions and instructions are conversational but also clear and easy to follow and the pictures are appetising.

I especially liked the introduction where the carb replacements were laid out and discussed up front so that you had a better understanding of what was being used and why rather than suddenly be hit by the emergence of Chia Seeds in a recipe and being left floundering.

My criticisms of it are it feels like while striving to get to 100 recipes some desperation entries made it - I can't justify a recipe for soft boiled eggs and replacing toast for asparagus spears as being a valuable addition to my repertoire.

If you are looking to try more meals without carbs and want something normal still - buy this book.

Dynamic Fat Burner 800 mg Coffee Bean Extract with GCA Natural Weight Loss Supplement - Pack of 60 Capsules

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Bean Slimming, 25 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve been taking these tablets for around 2-3 weeks now and can’t say I have noticed any change in my weight, body shape or energy levels.

I have coupled this supplement with regular exercise and my normal diet but it has not provided any marked difference compared to my physique without the supplement.

I noticed no negative side effects with this product but I don’t believe it has provided any boost to my weight loss goals. Despite it having coffee bean extract in the title I didn't get a caffeine energy level boost that I expected.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10