Profile for Juan McGuinness > Reviews

Content by Juan McGuinness

Juan McGuinness "Rhumsaa" (Ellan Vannin)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Zombie Dice
Zombie Dice
Offered by CJ-MaX

3.0 out of 5 stars Is what it is., 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Zombie Dice (Toy)
This game is what it is, a simple portable game with good quality dice. The theme is ok but it could be anything to be honest.

I saw it played on Tabletop and they made a great job of making this game seem a lot more exciting than the reality is.

I don't think it's a bad game and as a little filler while someone is out of the room or in between games it fulfils a purpose but you can bore of it quickly and it is purely luck based with next to no skill involved.

Optimum Nutrition ZMA Nighttime Recovery Support capsules - Tub of 90
Optimum Nutrition ZMA Nighttime Recovery Support capsules - Tub of 90
Offered by fly eagle

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them, 16 Jun. 2015
I am a huge fan of these supplements, unlike a lot of supps I really notice a difference when I am taking them. I feel I get a better quality nights sleep and I always get vivid dreams compared to hardly any normally. I have a fitbit which tracks my sleeping pattern and it shows the difference in restlessness between when I am on them or not. I got these at a good price and would get them again.

Quest Nutrition Chocolate Peanut Butter Quest Bar Protein Bar - Pack of 12 Bars
Quest Nutrition Chocolate Peanut Butter Quest Bar Protein Bar - Pack of 12 Bars
Offered by reloads

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty & Healthy, 16 Jun. 2015
I've had a fair few protein bars and in my experience most of them are horrible tasting and usually not that great for you. I read an amazing article here http://www.leanitup.com/quest-bar-the-best-protein-bar-on-earth/ that made the comparison of various protein bars with a Snickers or Mars bar without the protein that showed to me how poor most of them are for you. Quest bars with low to zero carbs make the massive difference and prove that you can get a good protein boost on the go without having to eat rubbish too.

Taste wise I really enjoyed the chocolate peanut butter flavour, reminded me of a less sickly sweet reece's bar. The only issue I had was the initial bite was quite chewy but once you got eating it had a nice consistency that wasn't overly powdery or hard to swallow like some protein bars.

Smiler's Fair: Book I of The Hollow Gods
Smiler's Fair: Book I of The Hollow Gods
by Rebecca Levene

2.0 out of 5 stars There certainly seem to be a number of good reviews for the book but I can't in all ..., 16 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been unable to finish reading this book, I have slogged through nearly 200 pages but simply can't get into the story.

It's well written and I have no issues with the skill of the author, it was simply not a story that interested me or grabbed me. There certainly seem to be a number of good reviews for the book but I can't in all honesty give a high review of a book that can't grab me by 200 pages.

Vanish Gold for Whites Powder Fabric Stain Remover - 1.4 kg
Vanish Gold for Whites Powder Fabric Stain Remover - 1.4 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars The stain removal power is good and my rugby kit no longer needs a couple ..., 23 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very impressive whitening powder - can definitely see the difference in my tired white shirts. The stain removal power is good and my rugby kit no longer needs a couple of attempts to get clean and stain free. Only downside is there is a strong smell of bleach using the powder, it doesn’t stick with the clothing when I use fabric conditioner but I question what it is doing to the clothes so wouldn’t fancy using it as a regular addition to my washing but more of a one off.

Escape Fitness Ridge Foam Roller - Black, 38 x 14 cm
Escape Fitness Ridge Foam Roller - Black, 38 x 14 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars However recent back and calf issues have led me to seek assistance and advice pointed me in the direction of a foam roller as a, 20 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've often gazed at people using these devices with a general bewilderment at the use of something resembling a medieval torture device. However recent back and calf issues have led me to seek assistance and advice pointed me in the direction of a foam roller as a useful tool. This sturdy beast has fitted the bill quite superbly, I am a big guy so was a bit wary about putting my body weight on a foam and plastic tube but this has held up perfectly. The various ridges and nobbly bits (technical term) do really work wonders on the muslces on my back which I otherwise have no way of getting to save a £40 a go massage (sans happy ending).

This is my only experience of the foam roller market so I can't give you a wide comparison and recommendation but from my use of it I have no complaints.

Commissar (Warhammer 40000)
Commissar (Warhammer 40000)
by Andy Hoare

3.0 out of 5 stars so to have a novel follow in the same footsteps seems like they’re missing a great opportunity to follow a differing ..., 8 Jan. 2015
With a title of Commissar the initial comparisons you would draw about this book would be to the Gaunt’s Ghosts series of books, and one would presume that the author would be doing his utmost to differentiate the characters in this book from the more famous Gaunt. Unfortunately the author fails in this regard and the book becomes borderline fan fiction with far too many similarities, the regiment is newly formed for example.

My main gripe (at the risk of delving deep into beard fluff territory) is that a Commissar is not a battlefield leader or tactician but a disciplinary officer. Gaunt was an anomaly, a rare case not to be repeated, so to have a novel follow in the same footsteps seems like they’re missing a great opportunity to follow a differing dynamic.

Despite these issues it is not a terrible read and will happily pass a train journey with an easy to follow story that doesn’t tax your cognitive capacity with plot twists and multiple characters. However I wouldn’t recommend you prioritise this purchase above others or rush out to buy it.

Fitbit Charge Wireless Activity with Sleep Wristband - Black, Small
Fitbit Charge Wireless Activity with Sleep Wristband - Black, Small

5.0 out of 5 stars This bad boy tracks me all the time when I am ..., 7 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a big fan of this little gadget.

I’ve used free apps on my phone to track walks and GPS etc but that is only when I am consciously heading out to exercise. This bad boy tracks me all the time when I am pottering about or at work or even just nipping into the shops. It also motivates you with the goal of hitting 12,000 steps a day – I have found myself going for evening walks just to hit those last couple of thousand steps. The sleep tracker has been an eye opener (pun intended?) and I’ve not even managed to fully explore the massive amount of data available on the app that goes with it.

The device itself is light and not invasive or bulky on your wrist, fits just nicely like a watch. I think another reviewer made the comment that the size guide on the box doesn’t take into account the fact that really you need to get your fingers in between strap and wrist to properly attach it and I would agree with that but it is a minor point.

I think if you are a serious sports person there are probably better devices out there such as garmin etc but if you’re a bit of a stats geek like me and find that side of things interesting and motivating with your fitness goals then you will be hard pressed to beat this little wrist attachment.

M&L Mobiles® | 2x Battery LP-E8 LPE8 for Canon EOS 550D | EOS 600D | EOS 650D | EOS Rebel T2i | EOS Rebel T3i | EOS Rebel T4i
Offered by AM GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought these for use with a double battery extender for my camera and would heartily recommend these to anyone using the same eq, 24 Dec. 2014
Have noticed no difference in batter life quality to the much more expensive official batteries. Bought these for use with a double battery extender for my camera and would heartily recommend these to anyone using the same equipment.

Philips BT3500B/12 Bluetooth Portable Wireless Speaker
Philips BT3500B/12 Bluetooth Portable Wireless Speaker
Offered by Luzern

4.0 out of 5 stars have happily had this blaring away in my kitchen or bathroom ..., 24 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my first foray into the land of Bluetooth speakers so I have no comparison really.

Sound quality wise this is impressive enough, have happily had this blaring away in my kitchen or bathroom with background noise a plenty and it’s down an ample job. It identified my phone on Bluetooth without any concerns and was easy to set up, battery life has so far been good for my purposes. The size and weight is nice and mobile although I am not sure I would take it out and about very much – maybe in the summer if I am out having a picnic it could be useful but it’s December. It’s practical to look at, that’s a generous way of looking at it I suppose, lets face it there will be no design award here for the classic brick ensemble.

Full disclosure I got this for free from the Vine programme, had I spent £80 I would probably be a tad disappointed and think I could have spent the cash on other things, however that could be due to my lack of use for portable speakers generally.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13