Profile for Juan McGuinness > Reviews

Content by Juan McGuinness

Juan McGuinness "Rhumsaa" (Ellan Vannin)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Escape Fitness Ridge Foam Roller - Black, 38 x 14 cm
Escape Fitness Ridge Foam Roller - Black, 38 x 14 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars However recent back and calf issues have led me to seek assistance and advice pointed me in the direction of a foam roller as a, 20 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've often gazed at people using these devices with a general bewilderment at the use of something resembling a medieval torture device. However recent back and calf issues have led me to seek assistance and advice pointed me in the direction of a foam roller as a useful tool. This sturdy beast has fitted the bill quite superbly, I am a big guy so was a bit wary about putting my body weight on a foam and plastic tube but this has held up perfectly. The various ridges and nobbly bits (technical term) do really work wonders on the muslces on my back which I otherwise have no way of getting to save a £40 a go massage (sans happy ending).

This is my only experience of the foam roller market so I can't give you a wide comparison and recommendation but from my use of it I have no complaints.

Commissar (Warhammer 40000)
Commissar (Warhammer 40000)
by Andy Hoare

3.0 out of 5 stars so to have a novel follow in the same footsteps seems like they’re missing a great opportunity to follow a differing ..., 8 Jan. 2015
With a title of Commissar the initial comparisons you would draw about this book would be to the Gaunt’s Ghosts series of books, and one would presume that the author would be doing his utmost to differentiate the characters in this book from the more famous Gaunt. Unfortunately the author fails in this regard and the book becomes borderline fan fiction with far too many similarities, the regiment is newly formed for example.

My main gripe (at the risk of delving deep into beard fluff territory) is that a Commissar is not a battlefield leader or tactician but a disciplinary officer. Gaunt was an anomaly, a rare case not to be repeated, so to have a novel follow in the same footsteps seems like they’re missing a great opportunity to follow a differing dynamic.

Despite these issues it is not a terrible read and will happily pass a train journey with an easy to follow story that doesn’t tax your cognitive capacity with plot twists and multiple characters. However I wouldn’t recommend you prioritise this purchase above others or rush out to buy it.

Fitbit Charge Wireless Activity with Sleep Wristband - Black, Small
Fitbit Charge Wireless Activity with Sleep Wristband - Black, Small

5.0 out of 5 stars This bad boy tracks me all the time when I am ..., 7 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a big fan of this little gadget.

I’ve used free apps on my phone to track walks and GPS etc but that is only when I am consciously heading out to exercise. This bad boy tracks me all the time when I am pottering about or at work or even just nipping into the shops. It also motivates you with the goal of hitting 12,000 steps a day – I have found myself going for evening walks just to hit those last couple of thousand steps. The sleep tracker has been an eye opener (pun intended?) and I’ve not even managed to fully explore the massive amount of data available on the app that goes with it.

The device itself is light and not invasive or bulky on your wrist, fits just nicely like a watch. I think another reviewer made the comment that the size guide on the box doesn’t take into account the fact that really you need to get your fingers in between strap and wrist to properly attach it and I would agree with that but it is a minor point.

I think if you are a serious sports person there are probably better devices out there such as garmin etc but if you’re a bit of a stats geek like me and find that side of things interesting and motivating with your fitness goals then you will be hard pressed to beat this little wrist attachment.

M&L Mobiles® | 2x Battery LP-E8 LPE8 for Canon EOS 550D | EOS 600D | EOS 650D | EOS Rebel T2i | EOS Rebel T3i | EOS Rebel T4i
Offered by AM GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought these for use with a double battery extender for my camera and would heartily recommend these to anyone using the same eq, 24 Dec. 2014
Have noticed no difference in batter life quality to the much more expensive official batteries. Bought these for use with a double battery extender for my camera and would heartily recommend these to anyone using the same equipment.

Philips BT3500B/12 Bluetooth Portable Wireless Speaker
Philips BT3500B/12 Bluetooth Portable Wireless Speaker
Offered by Luzern

4.0 out of 5 stars have happily had this blaring away in my kitchen or bathroom ..., 24 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my first foray into the land of Bluetooth speakers so I have no comparison really.

Sound quality wise this is impressive enough, have happily had this blaring away in my kitchen or bathroom with background noise a plenty and it’s down an ample job. It identified my phone on Bluetooth without any concerns and was easy to set up, battery life has so far been good for my purposes. The size and weight is nice and mobile although I am not sure I would take it out and about very much – maybe in the summer if I am out having a picnic it could be useful but it’s December. It’s practical to look at, that’s a generous way of looking at it I suppose, lets face it there will be no design award here for the classic brick ensemble.

Full disclosure I got this for free from the Vine programme, had I spent £80 I would probably be a tad disappointed and think I could have spent the cash on other things, however that could be due to my lack of use for portable speakers generally.

Aqua Optima EVG201 Evolve Gold 90-day Water Filter, also fits Brita* Maxtra*,2 pack - 6 months' supply

4.0 out of 5 stars I think I would purchase again probably based on whatever provided me with the best value for money at that time, 23 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Have been using this in my Brita filter jug for the past 3 weeks, I have no complaints regarding the fit of the filter or the taste of the water. Noticed no discernible difference in taste or quality of filtration between this and other Brita filter packs. I noticed in other reviews the time it takes to filter water through has been discussed, I can’t comment on this as I just fill it with water and put it in my fridge – I tend not to watch the process with a stopwatch.

I am unable to give a review based on the 3 month time frame – so far I have noticed no degradation in filtering performance. I have not developed a preference for this product over others, I think I would purchase again probably based on whatever provided me with the best value for money at that time.

Zyliss Burger Press with Adjustable Thickness
Zyliss Burger Press with Adjustable Thickness

4.0 out of 5 stars it’s purely an aesthetic comment and one based on a general enjoyment of traditional looking kitchen equipment, 15 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve used burger presses before and frequently found that they become more hassle than they are worth, producing equal or lesser quality products than shop bought efforts at a much increased level of mess. My main gripe to this end is the awkward nature of cleaning them and the inevitable morsel of mince that escapes into the contraption never to be seen again until you have to throw the whole thing out in a huff. Therefore I have been pleasantly surprised by the simplicity of this design reducing the faff of cleaning immensely.

My one complaint is that for the price it doesn’t have that “feel” that you get with a metal press, it’s purely an aesthetic comment and one based on a general enjoyment of traditional looking kitchen equipment.

If you want to delve into the world of self-made barbeque burgers you won’t go far wrong with this product.

ANF Canine Lamb & Rice Adult, 3kg
ANF Canine Lamb & Rice Adult, 3kg

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth a try I suppose if you get a good deal and your dog likes it but can't recommend ..., 8 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At the full RRP I think this is an expensive option for the old hound. Also he didn't seem to be that much of a fan of this and frequently only ate it when obviously hungry and nothing else appeared. Ended up throwing half away from uneaten bowls. Worth a try I suppose if you get a good deal and your dog likes it but can't recommend on my experience.

The Duppy Share Golden Caribbean Rum 70 cl
The Duppy Share Golden Caribbean Rum 70 cl

4.0 out of 5 stars yo ho ho and a bottle of duppy's, 4 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
From an aesthetic point of view the bottle (especially cork stopper) is a delight and stands out amongst the others in the spirits cabinet. The aroma is sweet and heady, it stands out amongst the other rums and does give an aroma of the Caribbean that makes you think of beaches and sunny days.

From a pure taste it is smooth and quite flavoursome however I don’t think I could sip this over ice all night neat as it is almost overpowering compared to other spirits.

For the purposes of this review I created a Dark & Stormy taste test comparing this Rum against Goslings Black Seal (my premium choice favourite), Havana Club Especial (my personal favourite) and Bacardi (a control, if you will).

This is far and away a superior rum to Bacardi and adds a lot to the cocktail in comparison. Matching up against Goslings and Havana Club it compares on a par, any difference of opinion here is purely subjective and down to taste. I would happily have this as an alternative to either rum, however due to the premium pricing compared to Havana Club I don’t think it does enough to justify the additional money.

In summary you are paying a premium price for this rum, it is not undeserving of this price tag per se but for me there are better value for money options out there.

SanDisk Extreme SDHC 32 GB UHS-I U3 Memory Card 60 MB/s (SDSDXN-032G-G46)
SanDisk Extreme SDHC 32 GB UHS-I U3 Memory Card 60 MB/s (SDSDXN-032G-G46)

5.0 out of 5 stars I don’t have a 4K camera but my HD recording and sports modes are a dream with this – it feels like I have upgraded my Canon not, 21 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve used a lot of budget brand memory sticks in the past and my current camera still has a couple of 16Gb budget backups lurking in the bag, never had a problem with integrity of data or failure of the card. However the speed with which the pictures get written on to the memory card can be a frustrating experience when shooting in sport mode. This card solves all these issues, I am a long standing fan of SanDisk products but this one has really impressed me, I don’t have a 4K camera but my HD recording and sports modes are a dream with this – it feels like I have upgraded my Canon not just the memory stick. Fully recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12