Profile for Juan McGuinness > Reviews

Content by Juan McGuinness

Juan McGuinness "Rhumsaa" (Ellan Vannin)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Kingsburg Board Game
Kingsburg Board Game
Offered by swestbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Worker Placement Game, 1 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Kingsburg Board Game (Toy)
This is quickly becoming one of my favourite board games.

For me it sits nicely in between Stone Age & Lords of Waterdeep on the complexity side of things, giving a few more options than Stone Age with the turn limit that Lords of Waterdeep has but at a faster pace. Plays well with 4 and 5 players and after a few turns getting used to it the game plays at a comfortable speed so an hour is ample time to play a game.

The artwork on the board is excellent and overall the production value is top notch, nothing feels cluttered and there is a logical place for all items.

I have noticed that certain tactics seem to be favoured for victory but as the dice determine the change in turn order and what you can collect as well as the built in catch up mechanics and rewards for doing well it is a brilliantly balanced game.

MaxiNutrition Progain Extreme Mass and Size Protein Shake Powder 1.5 kg - Chocolate
Offered by Boost & Boom

3.0 out of 5 stars Beefcaaaaaake, 1 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This provides an excellent level of protein per scoop and also an awful lot of calories.

If you're seeking to "bulk up" and need to gain size then this is probably going to benefit you but I would be cynical of taking on calories from a shake rather than actual food. This is a protein supplement to help you get a quick jolt of protein after a work out rather than an alternative way to get nutrients and calories into your system. I think I'd rather take a normal protein shake and have some food - it feels healthier.

Hallmark Star Wars Card 'Darth Vader' - Medium Square
Hallmark Star Wars Card 'Darth Vader' - Medium Square

3.0 out of 5 stars I suppose the content is a subjective matter of taste but for me it's not very funny or really in keeping with Darth Vader so it, 3 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a quality card and it's got Darth Vader on it - it's not worth £2+ for this. I suppose the content is a subjective matter of taste but for me it's not very funny or really in keeping with Darth Vader so it feels like a waste of the licencing premium. I can't fault the quality of the card or the execution of the design but for the price this is a very "meh" product.

MaxiNutrition Cyclone Strength and Power Protein Shake Powder 1.26 kg - Chocolate

2.0 out of 5 stars There are better options, 30 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's been a few years since I last used MaxiNutrition protein shakes, I had them when I was just starting to go to the gym and picked up whatever was in Holland & Barrett at the time. This Cyclone brand offers a good amount of protein per serving with some creatine mixed in, I have been manually adding creatine to shakes for a while so this is a similar exercise and all in one package/price.

The taste of this is pleasant enough, very sweet which either works for you or not. The consistency is not great, quite gritty no matter how much shaking I have tried in different blenders. The price per gram of protein is not great when compared to some other products out there in the whey protein market. As for the effect on me I noticed no difference to my recovery or performance in comparison to my other shakes so this neither positive nor negative.

In summary I think this is a standard protein shake mix, the creatine is a nice addition but can be achieved manually. Ultimately this is a premium priced product where there are cheaper alternatives that will do the same job - sometimes paying more doesn't get you more.

Igenix Oil Filled Radiator with 24 HR Timer, 2.5 kW, 2500 W, White
Igenix Oil Filled Radiator with 24 HR Timer, 2.5 kW, 2500 W, White
Offered by E-Guru

4.0 out of 5 stars It's got a timer which is very useful for peace of mind and certainly something I can ..., 30 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I initially thought having to review this radiator in July would be a nightmare but luckily for me summer in the Isle of Man is wet and windy so there have been a few nights where a little bit of warmth was welcomed.

I have found this to be a versatile and handy little heater for the rooms in my house that don't keep warm very well. It's got a timer which is very useful for peace of mind and certainly something I can see coming in handy in the winter months for late nights and early mornings.

My main reservation is that having used Igenix products before (a dehumidifier) and it not lasting too long I am not sure how this will survive use over the coming months. That lack of faith in the brand is the reason for only giving out 4 stars.

FORZA Multivitamin for Dieters
FORZA Multivitamin for Dieters
Offered by Forza Supplements

2.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately I don't believe this is worth it for the price you pay - there are better high quality multivitamins out there for si, 15 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was taken by my partner who did not express an opinion one way or another as to any difference in mood or energy levels while taking these compared to other multivitamins.

I am naturally suspicious of this product as gimmick marketing seeing as it is pink packaging and geared up to capture dieters. Whilst it states clearly it is not a replacement for varied intake of food I am sure this is just to ensure compliance with legal requirements.

Ultimately I don't believe this is worth it for the price you pay - there are better high quality multivitamins out there for similar price or much cheaper options that do a job.

Men Rock Sicilian Lime and Caffeine Awakening Beard Balm
Men Rock Sicilian Lime and Caffeine Awakening Beard Balm

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad balm but not beardazzling, 13 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This definitely feels like conditioner compared to other beard balms or oils I have used, it leaves a greasy heavy feel for a while after applying it. The lime scent is very faint and whilst you obviously don't want an overpowering aroma wafting up from your face all day I was hoping for that fresh citrus note to be around for a bit longer. The caffeine awakening aspect strikes me as a marketing gimmick. With regards to how it leaves my beard condition I don't see a great deal of improvement or difference in comparison to other beard balms I have used.

In summary this is not a bad product but I have used other oils and balms I would consider to be superior for similar price so would probably not buy this in future.

Quest Bars High Protein Gluten Free, Original Variety Pack, 12-Bars
Quest Bars High Protein Gluten Free, Original Variety Pack, 12-Bars
Offered by Fitness2002 Inc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for variety & first time buyers, 3 July 2015
I think Quest Bars are great, I've read great articles previously breaking down the benefit of them compared to other protein bars.

This box is 12 different flavours of Quest bar, it came to me in plain brown packaging so I assume it is not an official product from Quest. The bars I received were a little squishier and stuck to the wrapper more than other Quest bars I have had which might be due to the repackaging process or just inherent within that particular flavour, I can't be certain.

As you have to buy Quest Bars in boxes of 12 of one flavour it can be a nightmare if you choose a flavour you hate so the benefit of this item is you get a taster of a load of flavours before settling on what you like for a full box of 12. I can't imagine I'd buy this again as I have earmarked the flavours I liked and the ones I dislike but for a first time buyer or someone who loves variety over anything this is a good purchase.

FRiEQ® Hi-Speed Extra Long (6 Ft/1.8m) Nylon Braided Tangle-Free USB 2.0 Micro USB Charging/Sync Cable For Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2, HTC, Motorola, LG, PS4, Xbox one (Light Blue/Yellow)
Offered by T.M. Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had bought this months/years ago, 3 July 2015
I wish I had bought this months/years ago.

I have been tolerating sub par charging from my battered cable with dodgy connector for too long and suffering an awkward cable length (fnar fnar) that barely gets my phone on to the bedside table let alone within comfortable reach of my face when I flail for it in the morning.

The 6 feet of cable has been an absolute boon, the nylon covering means it doesn't manage to wrap itself awkwardly round anything and everything it can find, hotel trips are no longer the bane of my life having a phone on the floor somewhere and it genuinely seems to charge faster with a more secure fit into my phone.

Absolutely worth the money - never look back.

Zombie Dice
Zombie Dice
Offered by CJ-MaX

3.0 out of 5 stars Is what it is., 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Zombie Dice (Toy)
This game is what it is, a simple portable game with good quality dice. The theme is ok but it could be anything to be honest.

I saw it played on Tabletop and they made a great job of making this game seem a lot more exciting than the reality is.

I don't think it's a bad game and as a little filler while someone is out of the room or in between games it fulfils a purpose but you can bore of it quickly and it is purely luck based with next to no skill involved.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14