Profile for Andrew Sutherland > Reviews

Content by Andrew Sutherland

Andrew Sutherland "Sutho" (Surrey outposts)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling new musical horizons + lyrical acuity + provocation = Moz's best in yonks, 16 July 2014
Half a dozen listens were all that was required to confirm it as an almost-work-of-genius. At first, I was a little underwhelmed -turned off even by the title track, with its Russell Brand-ish anti-statist blandishments ("each time you vote, you support the process") and the clunky, gauche artlessness of the closing lyric ("Brazil and Bahrain/Oh, Egypt, Ukraine... so many people in pain"... yuk). Must do better... thankfully, he mostly does. Great title, anyway (as ever, with Morrissey). 'Course, Moz's lyrics will always be scrutinised with a keenness that others' aren't. The man is a first and foremost versifier, not composer - he just 'directs' the music, or so the wisdom goes... and in this case it's mostly c/o Boz Boorer (with a very big nod to new multi-instrumentalist Gustavo Manzur); gone is Alain Whyte, Moz's main songwriting partner since Your Arsenal and a particular influence on the pretty basic, fairly crude 'chug-rock' sound of everything since then, the last three records especially. Musically speaking, World Peace *sounds* much more delicate, demure, and plain interesting than anything on You Are The Quarry, Ringleader of the Tormentors or Years of Refusal; all of them good Moz albums, but tunefully a little... lumpen. Whereas here we have autoharp, Spanish acoustic guitar, accordion; the record was made in Provence and carries a certain (pleasing) Continental aftertaste. The main instrument of note though is Moz's own voice; it's an absolute revelation here; seldom better in recent memory (just listen to the mannered acrobatics on the brilliantly camp 'Kiss Me A Lot'). Highlights? The anti-macho, anti-carnivorous diatribe of 'I'm Not A Man' (the only song I know to rhyme 'T-Bone steak' with 'cancer of the prostate'... and that's not the only airing of militant vegetarianism here - later, on the 'The Bullfighter Dies', guess whose side Moz is on?). Then there's the faintly unsettling 'Smiler With Knife', with its delightful acoustic closing section. A nod, too, for the acerbic 'Staircase at the University' ("If you don't get three A's/Her sweet daddy said/You're no child of mine and as far as I'm concerned you're dead") and ruminative album closer 'Oboe Concerto' ("The older generation have tried, sighed and died / Which pushes me to their place in the queue"). There really is lots to recommend WPINOYB: as ever, the critical hyperbole is predictable, but those calling it his best in 20 years are probably not far off the mark. In fact, in the time it's taken me to write this, the album has played out and the opening title track is back on and I'm begninng to warm to its previously irksome political naveté; it is a Morrissey album after all - provocation ought to be part of the package!

Pabobo Automatic Nightlight (Purple)
Pabobo Automatic Nightlight (Purple)
Price: 10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good nightlight for use in the bedroom (too soft to properly illuminate elsewhere), 1 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a decent nightlight but wasn't really what I needed - I wanted something for the hallway that gives out a strong enough light that the kids can find their way to the bathroom in the dead of night; but this gives off too soft a level of light, it's more suitable to provide very low-level 'comfort' light actually in the bedroom e.g. for those who are afraid of the dark. The purple hue is quite pleasant, but not very illuminating. The sensor works well though - it turned itself on at night and back off again come morning.

8 Way CD/DVD Multicase 27mm Spine(1)
8 Way CD/DVD Multicase 27mm Spine(1)
Offered by Atronica
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Retail-quality DVD multicase, 25 Jun 2014
I’ve been bitten many times when buying blank DVD and CD cases blind; quality varies massively and the cheaper ones can be all but useless (thin, brittle, cheap-looking and easily broken) but these are of retail quality; very high-grade plastic - I was impressed. I bought the 8-way multi-case; slightly thicker spine that a regular DVD box; same kind of thing you get a lot of TV box sets in. Worth noting that I bought this from the seller 'Media Replication' and I have to say that the service received was also excellent.

Galt Dr Miriam Hammer and Pegs
Galt Dr Miriam Hammer and Pegs
Price: 14.63

4.0 out of 5 stars The simple act of hammering, 23 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Toys don't come much simpler than this: Five chunky coloured pegs plus a wooden hammer to bash them with. Once they've all been fully bashed, flip it over and start again from the other side. Nicely made, robust and in solid, wood. Not a battery in sight.

Ambi Toys  Pounding Apple
Ambi Toys Pounding Apple
Price: 15.54

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited hammering, 23 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ok, it looks pretty cute and is fairly robust but the aim of the game - bash a worm poking out of the apple, which causes another worm's head to pop out - runs out of gas fairly quickly.

Trunki PaddlePak Water-Resistant Backpack - Pinch the Lobster (Red)
Trunki PaddlePak Water-Resistant Backpack - Pinch the Lobster (Red)
Price: 16.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Very cute but peculiar design, 23 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really nicely designed backpack but I'm not entirely won over by the fastening device at the top, which I guess is to keep it waterproof, but is a bit more cumbersome than a regular zip, and also means the plastic clip is up against the back of the child's neck unless the straps are loose. Also, I'd question whether this does actually fit a whole swim kit... maybe just, depending on the kit; a big towel would fill it up totally. Nice and lightweight though and the waterproof-ness is welcome.

Little Owl's Orange Scarf
Little Owl's Orange Scarf
by Tatyana Feeney
Price: 5.24

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit different, 20 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this because my son is a big fan of owls... but this hasn't really sparked with him, I think mainly because of the drawing style, which is very simple and pseudo-nave, with a very limited palette of colours; it's a far cry from what he's become used to with most books for toddlers, which tend to be ultra-colourful and chock full of artistic detail.

Ambi Toys  One Man Band
Ambi Toys One Man Band
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Charmingly simple, 20 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nice little toy, charmingly simply: a one-man band whose various body parts each make different musical noises e.g. ring the bell on his head, rattle the beads in his tummy, blow the whistle he's holding etc. Decent build quality which is obviously a must for anything likely to be repeatedly bashed. And yet... so far, it hasn't really captured the imagination of my 11 month old. Could just be her of course; personal taste al all.

Summer Side of Life
Summer Side of Life
Price: 13.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-affirmingly good - maybe the best of Lightfoot's 70s Warner Bros./Reprise records, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Summer Side of Life (Audio CD)
I'm pretty new to Gordon Lightfoot, but it's not taken long for me to become a total convert - what a happy accident it was that I chanced upon a goose bump-inducing Eric Clapton cover of 'Looking At The Rain' (left off Slowhand in favour of Wonderful Tonight!). I remember being immediately and profoundly struck by that song's enduring loveliness and wasted no time in tracking down the original by Lightfoot on his 'Don Quixote' album (from 1972), which I fell head-over-heels for and right away set about amassing the rest of the albums he put out on Warner Bros./Reprise in the 70s: an uncommonly consistent run of LPs that really established him as a singer/songwriter, starting with the rightly celebrated 'If You Could Read My Mind', then this one ('Summer Side of Life', from 1971), the aforesaid 'Don Quixote', 'Old Dan's Records' (also from 1972), 'Sundown'(1974)... I haven't got further yet (but 'Cold on the Shoulder' 'Summertime Dream' and 'Endless Wire' are next on my hitlist). Each of these 70s Lightfoot albums have really resonated with me and had the net effect of getting me really rather excited in a school-boyish kind of way about discovering someone new (to me) whose songs just seem to strike a rare chord... but, so far, it's 'Summer Side of Life' that's *really* blown my socks off - it's got such a beautiful, delicate, life-affirming buoyancy to it; I really can't fail to be uplifted. It's magical. The whole album soars but six of the eleven tracks in particular just take it to the next level for me: the third and fourth songs, 'Go My Way' and the title track, 'Summer Side of Life', both of which have a real kick-up-your-heels quality. They remind me of Mickey Newbury a little, and have the peculiar result of making me want to hop in the car and drive along some sundrenched country lane with the windows down and Lightfoot blasting out of the stereo. It's that kind of vibe. Then there's the gentler countrified bustle of 'Cotton Jenny' (which reminds me a bit of early Tim Hardin) and the more plaintive, piano-led 'Nous Bivons Ensemble' (shades of David Ackles). Finally, the waltzy 'Same Old Loverman' and maybe my favourite, 'Love and Maple Syrup', which has the most instantaneously amiable melodies I've heard in forever and culminates in the most joyful guitar/humming sequence than leaves me grinning ear-to-ear. And I'm normally a miserable git. I genuinely don't recall taking an album to my bosom this quickly and this completely in an awfully long time.

Yepp Kids Maxi Child Bike Seat - Black
Yepp Kids Maxi Child Bike Seat - Black
Offered by expert-shops
Price: 98.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Safety first, 11 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Yes, installation was a drag but that probably says as much about me as the bike seat (I had a similar experience fitting a car seat recently). It looks pretty stylish too, but that’s also a secondary concern for me. The really important thing is that, once in place, it feels sturdy and pretty much immovable. This, coupled with the 5-point safety harness, provides the reassurance I needed that strapping my child into this and peddling off down the road was a safe thing to do. From the child's perspective, it looks pretty comfy - very lightweight as well, which helps the rider.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20