ARRAY(0xa5e6eec4)

Netgear DG834, Wired Router with 4-port 10/100 Mbps Switch
Offered by NETWORK LTD
Price: 48.84

5.0 out of 5 stars A satisfied customer, 22 Oct 2005
I previously owned a netgear dg814 and choose to upgrade to the dg834. My main reason for upgrading was the improved firewall provided by the dg834 and someone was pestering me for my old router.
It's a lot smaller than the dg814 and does not become as alarming hot as the dg814 did. The only major difference I found was the absence of an off switch on the unit so I just let it run permanently these days.
My only problem in installation was that I had to upgrade the firmware to the latest version (which I would recommend). The firmware upgrades are available on the netgear site. After upgrading it is very important that you press the reset button on the back of the unit to restore it to its factory settings. Otherwise it may not work reliably after a firware update. Once this was done the setup was achieved in minutes.
I work remotely and use the router every work day for at least 8 hours. It supports the VPN software flawlessly. I've had it for 4 weeks or so now and it hasn't dropped the connection once.
The only criticism I can raise when replacing my dg814 with the dg834 is that it comes with shorter cables. The patch lead and phone cable with the dg814 were substantially longer. But in the big scheme of things it's small potatoes.
I am happy to recommend this router to other people. It's a good solid reliable unit.

BT Lyric 1100 DECT Phone - Metallic Grey
BT Lyric 1100 DECT Phone - Metallic Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars A simple phone (capable of using headset), 17 April 2005
I was looking for a new dect phone to replace my existing binatone dect phone that was 4 years old. I particularly wanted a dect phone that could take a headset as I work at home and am doing more and more phone meetings.
Installation/configuration was straightforward. The build quality of the handsets themselves looks a bit cheap but they work fine. Menus are simple and well laid out. The phone can be muted (called secrecy on the menu). Its stupidly placed next to the hang up button so you could press the wrong by mistake but you soon learn. The one I got came with an over the ear headset which worked fine but I found a bit flimsy. I replaced that with a plantronics m110 which works absolutely fine. I had to turn the ear volume on the headset down to minimum to stop the plantronics headset deafening me.
I was also able to register the existing blue binatone dect phone (that my partner particularly likes) with the base with no problem at all.
In terms of functionality - I can have no complaints. It does everything I want and its easy to use. The point that lets it down is it looks cheaper than it is.

Perl Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
Perl Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
by Johan Vromans

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reminder for occasional Perl user, 27 Jan 2003
Like a lot of developers, I don't use Perl every day as my main development tool. Instead I use Perl occasionally to update configuration files, mass source code changes, development utilities etc. As a result I find myself forgetting the syntax, semantics, packages that I need to write effective (though perhaps not wonderful) Perl scripts to get the job done. I bought this book on a whim and have found it very useful to remind me about Perl when I need to use it - often in a rush. The O'Reilly "Programming Perl" was excellent to start with but too hard to use as a concise reference.
However the price tag / content for this book is too high in my opinion. Around the five pounds mark would be more reasonable hence four stars.