Profile for lovetoread > Reviews

lovetoread

Love Castaway
Love Castaway

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Love Castaway (Kindle Edition)
A surprisingly well-written book, entertaining all the way through, which I enjoyed enough to want to look out for some of this author's other offerings. Good for a light beach read and recommended if what you want is pure escapism.

Argo (DVD + UV Copy) [2013]
Argo (DVD + UV Copy) [2013]
Dvd ~ Ben Affleck
Offered by EagleDVD

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Argo (DVD + UV Copy) [2013] (DVD)
fingernail - bitingly tense film, but the tension is underscored by subtle humour along the way. Based on a true story, an undercover agent goes into Iran to rescue some US embassy employees who've jumped ship rather than become hostages at the US embassy, who're hiding out inside the Canadian embassy in Tehran. But how will he get them out of the country undetected? I've seen this film four times and I still worry they're not coming home in one piece! Brilliant acting - I loved it.

Custard Tarts and Broken Hearts
Custard Tarts and Broken Hearts

4.0 out of 5 stars compelling, 23 Mar 2014
The author draws you in immediately and keeps you reading. She brings the period she's writing about very much alive - she's done her research well, and it's as informative as it is entertaining. I liked this book and would recommend to my friends.

The All You Can Dream Buffet
The All You Can Dream Buffet
by Barbara O'Neal

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable!, 23 Mar 2014
Barbara o Neal has a fresh, compelling writing style that drew me in immediately. I wanted to know what happened to the four women, all with their own reasons for wanting to start afresh - some of them, completely unaware of it. Her descriptions of the Lavender farm are delicious - probably a little on the romantic side, but lovely to read nonetheless. I loved the recipes the women shared along the way and reading about the warmth of the friendships that sustain them.
I'd never read anything by this author before, but I'll certainly be trying her other books.

Treasure This
Treasure This

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Treasure This (Kindle Edition)
Warmly written and engaging book .The author certainly knows how to write compelling characters and create atmosphere - really enjoyed it - will be looking out for more by Kay Leitch.

Millie's Game Plan
Millie's Game Plan
by Rosie Dean

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and funny, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Millie's Game Plan (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this debut novel by Rosie Dean. Tired of waiting for the right man to walk into her life, Millie decides to take matters into her own hands by crafting a carefully-thought out 'Game Plan.' Naturally things don't go according to the plan! I thought it was interesting and unusual to have a vicar as a possible love interest and I found Millie to be a sympathetic, likeable character. Well written and clever, I'd recommend this book as a great winter read.

One Day [DVD] [2011]
One Day [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Anne Hathaway
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this!, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: One Day [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Haven't read the book yet so I have nothing to compare it to, but I really loved this film. I thought the actors playing Emma and Dexter did a great job and really brought their characters to life. I'd watch this one again. Hathaways's accent - which some others have commented on - didn't bother me at all - didn't really notice it to be honest. Will now go read book!

Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - can't recommend enough, 28 May 2013
I am loving this book, it's got me completely hooked - almost as a fiction book might! This lady really knows her stuff. This approach to writing stories using neuroscientific discoveries is not only interesting - it' s gripping. It reveals not only what works in story telling and what doesn't, but WHY people need to read stories in the first place and what they are subconsciously looking for to get that 'satisfied' feeling at the end. In fact, it's packed full of useful information. Well done - I shall definitely look out for more by this author.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 18 Mar 2012
I read this book when it first came out as 'These Foolish Things' and loved it at the time. As soon as I saw the title for the film I knew it was about this same book! Funny, sad, moving and insightful by turns. Highly recommended read.

The Seven Deadly Sins: Jewish, Christian, and Classical Reflections on Human Psychology
by Solomon Schimmel

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 13 Mar 2012
I em enjoying reading this book. It is thought-provoking and well-researched. Not necessarily one to read from the beginning and go through to the end, but good to dip in and out of. The author makes a lot of good points.