Profile for HJK > Reviews

Braun Multiquick 5 J 500 - juice extractor - black
Braun Multiquick 5 J 500 - juice extractor - black
Offered by Emmeci Service

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Juicer, 21 July 2014
I was expecting the J300 juicer from Vine - I was sent the J500 - so am writing the review here.

This juicer is excellent - I have tried it with: carrots, apples, grapes, oranges & nectarines.

You can do a LARGE amount of fruit before it needs cleaning out - I did 2 or 3 of the above in one session.(more of the grapes of course)and could have done more.

It has a "stop drip" function which means you can remove the jug without getting drips on the work surface.

It comes apart easily and all the parts are easy to clean - you get a special brush with 2 different heads which helps with the cleaning.

I would suggest you have a bowl to collect the peelings etc in and to put the pulp which is left in the machine in- this can then go straight to the compost heap in the garden.

A few years ago I had a small cheap juicer - I gave it away after a few goes as it seemed to need cleaning after about 3 oranges & was awkward to clean - THIS ONE IS SO MUCH BETTER!

If you are serious about juicing lots then this is very very good - I think that you would have to have it out on the work surface to use it all the time - and it is large - there are lots of parts to clean so these take a lot of room on the draining board once they are rinsed (you can put them in the dishwasher). But this is worth it for the lovely juice.

Braun J300 Spin Juicer, 800 Watt, Premium Black
Braun J300 Spin Juicer, 800 Watt, Premium Black
Offered by Luzern

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - but I was sent the J500, 21 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was sent the J500 - so I will write a short review here & go to the other model to write a full review.

The juicer is excellent - does a large amount of fruit before it needs cleaning out. It is easy to clean.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2015 5:49 PM BST

The Spring of Kasper Meier
The Spring of Kasper Meier
by Ben Fergusson

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Topic - Very Hard to Read, 14 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This for me was a very interesting topic - life for Germans in Post World War Two Berlin -I have read many novels about the aftermath of the war - however I just could not read this one - I read the first 80 pages or so, then skipped through it, read bits here and there and then read the last few chapters.

I cannot quite put my finger on it as to why I did not like it - you had to piece lots together to work out what is going on - I have done this before with many other books - this one did not grab me enough to do this.

Other reviewers have liked this book - Sorry it must just be me.

The Ploughmen
The Ploughmen
by Kim Zupan

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark & Confusing, 10 July 2014
This review is from: The Ploughmen (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am afraid I just could not connect with this book at all. I found it very hard to read - maybe it was the very American dialogues ....

It was dark & depressing and because it jumped about in time so much, I found it very confusing - I am not sure I understood the ending completely.

Set in the Cooper County (which is in Missouri) it relates the relationship that builds up between Valentine Millimaki, the young deputy at the county jail & John Gload, aged 71, who faces the prospect of long-term incarceration.

They spend much time taking together ...

Eat Istanbul: A Journey to the Heart of Turkish Cuisine
Eat Istanbul: A Journey to the Heart of Turkish Cuisine
by Andy Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Photographs - Lovely Food, 3 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
17 years ago I visited Istanbul - I wish I could have had this book with me.

The book is wonderful just for its photographs of Istanbul.

The recipes - look lovely - there are many recipes using: spinach, tomatoes, aubergines, herbs including mint & bulgur wheat.

3 that have caught my eye are:
1) Gozlene - a flat bread filled with a spinach & cheese filling,
2) Cigar Borek - made with filo pastry this has a feta cheese & herb filling &
3) Honeyed doughnuts - small yeast doughnuts with a honey syrup poured over them - yummy - I am going to try these first.

This book is worth getting just to look at the photos alone - a good present for someone who is interested in foods from other countries.

The Unwitting
The Unwitting
by Ellen Feldman

5.0 out of 5 stars Politics & Morality, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Unwitting (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first Ellen Feldman book that I have read - I will be looking out to read some more. The writing is beautiful & the characters so well portrayed.

The book spans the 50s, 60s & the start of the 70s. It is Cold War time with Politics & Morality being a very dangerous mix.

Nell & Charlie are married - most of the book is written from Nell's point of view - but then there are the same events from Charlie's point of view.

The first chapter is in 1963, 22 November 1963, in the USA, a day in which a president is shot & also Nell's life is changed forever ... as she starts to unravel the past ... she finds it is not as she thought ...

I could hardly put the book down - a wonderful read.

The Fortune Hunter
The Fortune Hunter
by Daisy Goodwin

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Fiction, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Fortune Hunter (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although I enjoyed reading this book, I cannot give it 5 stars as so much of the story is fiction.

The 3 main people existed - Sisi - the Empress of Austria, Bay Middleton & Charlotte Baird did live and their lives were linked. However the story is based on rumour & gossip and even some of the events mentioned did not happen in the way described - for example in the book 5 years is condensed into less than a year & the results of the Grand National are not as depicted.

I suspect that when a historical novel takes events from the more recent past it is harder to do as many facts are documented.

NOTE - my review was from an uncorrected proof copy & this one had the most errors in spacing, punctuation & typos than any other that I have read - I hope these will have been corrected in the final version.

The Valley of Amazement
The Valley of Amazement
by Amy Tan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - But Should be Shortenned to be Excellent, 6 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have read 4 out of 5 of Amy Tan's other Novels - not read The Bonesetter's daughter - will read so soon. I loved all of them.

This book is set mostly in Shanghai & also San Francisco from 1897 to 1939. It is about the lives of 2 women: Lucia & Violet, mother & daughter. Most of the book is from Violet's point of view - we get to hear Lucia's version very near the end.

The book starts in 1905 in Shanghai and is very good at the beginning - it is just under 600 page - and starts to get bogged down in too much detail - I found myself skipping quickly through details of courtesan rituals & poetry - all interesting in themselves but did nothing for the novel.

However even with the slightly dull bits it was a very good story - I think with better editing & shortening of the book by about 100 pages (without shortening the actual story - it would have been a 5 Star - excellent book.

I did shed a tear at the end for what could have been ...

The book is very open ended - at the finish it is just before the start of World War 2 - so there are many possibilities for what could happen next ...

Bibetta Neoprene Children's Lunch Bag (Turqoise Bird)
Bibetta Neoprene Children's Lunch Bag (Turqoise Bird)
Offered by Bibetta Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good For Adults Too, 4 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My adult daughter loves this lunch bag - she takes a packed lunch to work every day. It holds quite a lot - a plastic lunch box and a bottle of water and some fruit and more. It is flexible but not too flimsy. It is easy to keep clean.

The pattern & colour are not at all childish - in fact very stylish - so it is suitable for all ages.

Spare Brides
Spare Brides
by Adele Parks

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Spare Brides (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought this book would be really interesting but I found it very disappointing.

This is the first Adele Parks book that I have read so I cannot compare it with others.

The story had great potential - set in 1920 after the war & the effect that it had on the lives of young women who were left behind with so many men having been killed.

The story is about 4 well-off & fairly well-off women ... but the main woman is Lydia ... I did not take to this character at all she was SO SELFISH ... I did not find her actions very believable.

There was only a little bit of historical background ... the book was sort of Mills & Boon but with too much description of sex and not enough plot.

The use of a few modern words did not help either, just made you think not enough research was done, for example "death duties" were mentioned then later "inheritance tax" - this did not come in till much later & also electronics - this word was not used until the 1940s.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20