Profile for S. N. Corder > Reviews

Content by S. N. Corder

S. N. Corder "scmorales" (Spain)

Page: 1 | 2
Jussi Bjoerling In Opera And Song [DVD]
Jussi Bjoerling In Opera And Song [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jussi Bjoerling

4.0 out of 5 stars Brought to you by the Firestone tire and rubber company, 19 May 2012
That's not what I expected when I purchased this DVD. It is in fact bits of transcripts from a commercial TV broadcast complete with commentary aimed it seems at middlebrow viewers looking for "kulture" since it contains TWO versions of "Prayer of Thanksgiving" one for choir and orchestra only, TWO versions of "In my Garden", something billed as "The Story of a Starry Night" that turns out to be a rather bad version of part of Tchaikovsky's 6th symphone (orchestra only), Brahms' "Hungarian Dance no. 1 (orchestra only), TWO versions of "Neopolitan Love Song" by Herbert one accompanied by a singularly sugary choir, Glazunov's "Autumn & Winter" (orchestra only) and "If I could tell you" attributed to Firestone.

Discounting these light "fillers" we are left with "Salut, demure et pure" by Gounod, "O soave fanciulla" from La Bohéme, "Stänchen" by Strauss, "Vesti la giubba" by Leoncavello, Schubert's "Was ist Sylvia?", "The Flower Song" from "Carmen" and Leonvaello's "Mattinata", just SEVEN from the classical repetoire out of a total of 22 tracks! Hardly what one could call value for money when you consider that the DVD is entitled "Jussi Björling in operas and song".

One has to be thankful for very small mercies however since this is one of the few opportunities we have of SEEING Björling sing. He looks very uncomfortable in front of the camera and the "acting" from all concerned is stilted to say the least so that in "O soave fanciulla", at the end he gives his wife a kiss and even though she IS his wife, it looks like a gesture imposed on him by Firestone.

If you want to HEAR Björling sing then there are CDs that give examples of his extraordinary technique. I recently purchased a double CD; "Jussi Björling, the ultimate collection"Ultimate Collection [IMPORT]that I would thoroughly recommend. "Lensky's aria" from "Eugene Onegin" made my hair stand on end, but is you want to SEE how effortlessly he sang then this DVD is a MUST, for all of its faults.

Comparing him to modern day tenors is an interesting exercise. All too often I have seen tenors making wild faces as they sing, eyebrows raised as they try to reach for a high note and some even standing on tiptoes as they do so. Björling just sings, there IS no effort, it is a school of singing that seems to have died out. I can remember other singers who did the same; Kirstin Flagstad, Elizabeth Rethberg to name just two.

For all my criticism, I repeat that this DVD is a MUST but I only award it four stars because of all the filling. Surely it wouldn't have been impossible to have put together a DVD of just Björling singing without the mostly sickly fillers. That said, it is also a sort of historical document of American TV culture of the 60s

Exspect EX882 - In Ear Earphone - Black
Exspect EX882 - In Ear Earphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars INITIALLY GOOD VALUE, 25 Jan. 2012
But...........a big but, I ordered these and they worked just fine for a matter of weeks and then the left channel failed. I contacted the seller and was sent a replacement set without question. Unfortunateky there seems to be an inherent fault with the plug or at least where the cable is connected to the plug because now the second set has also failed. I will return both set to the seller but I really don't think it is worth requesting a replacement. Apart from that they sound good BUT...........

Sondheim: The Birthday Concert [Blu-ray] [2010] [US Import]
Sondheim: The Birthday Concert [Blu-ray] [2010] [US Import]

2.0 out of 5 stars LONDON VERSUS NEW YORK, 17 Oct. 2011
I don't know how many birthday tributes there have been to Sondheim on his 80th birthday but I have only seen two. The first one was given at the 2011 London Proms and the second was the present one under review and I have to say that the New York version doesn't hold a candle to the Proms version. With the exception of the absolutely sizzling version of "America" for which Sondheim of course wrote the words, the performances are singularly underwhelming. Who had the not very brilliant and pointless idea of turning the duet from "Sweeney Todd" in to a trio with two men taking the part of Sweeney? NOT a good idea. David Hyde Pierce makes a genial host but overall the London tribute wins hands down. It is better directed, better sung, better played and better acted. For those of you who weren't privilidged to see it, I'm sorry. My American friends who have seen the London version are very much in agreement with me.

Various: White Night (Impressions Of Norwegian Folk Music)
Various: White Night (Impressions Of Norwegian Folk Music)

5.0 out of 5 stars OFF THE BEATEN TRACK, 4 May 2011
Norwegian folk music might not be everyone's cup of tea except maybe for the Norwegians but delve in to this and you might well be very pleasantly surprised. I purchased this CD after hearing two BBC reviewers on "CD Review" extolling its virtues.

The CD arrived very quickly and I played it immediately and wondered if I had made a mistake but further listening has convinced me that it was/is in fact a very worthwhile buy.

The CD feratures the wonderful and oddly named Norwegian Soloists' Choir (is it a choir made up of soloists?), Berit Opheim Versto as the solo singer, Gjermund Larsen on the fiddle/hardanger fiddle and all under the baton of Grete Pedreson.

If I have one gripe about the content is that Gjermund Larsen only plays the hardanger fiddle once. This instrument with it's sympathetic strings give a unique sound to Norwegian music and I would like it to have been used more than just on track 7.

The choir is perfect and beautifully recorded and Berit Opheim Versto has a perfect voice for this sort of music.

As to the music itself, as I have found out, it bears repeated listening. The notes say: "In Norwegian folk music, melancholy is an emotion that shines through, whether the tune is a beautiful wedding march or a lullaby, and whether it accompanies a religious song or a tale of a maiden abducted by trolls." In fact the music covers a variety of emotions all very effectively and in no way did I find it "melancholy".

Highly recommended and all in all a very rewarding experience.

Groosland [VHS]
Groosland [VHS]

5.0 out of 5 stars FIVE STARS IN SPITE OF IT BEING VHS, 26 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Groosland [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Five stars because it's only available in that format. Such a pity that it was never made in higher quality DVD but hey, it's the only way of having this extraordinarily original ballet. Highly recommended if you still have means of playing a VHS tape.

Mouse Phone 2 in 1 USB VOIP Internet Phone and 800dpi Optical Mouse
Mouse Phone 2 in 1 USB VOIP Internet Phone and 800dpi Optical Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars AN INGENIOUS PIECE OF KIT, 22 Mar. 2011
I was looking for a VOIP 'phone. to use with my new HP netbook. Looking through the available options I came across this and thought that it was a very clever idea; a mouse and 'phone. in one. Installed the software (I already had an external disc drive), and plugged the mouse/'phone. in. Initally it took me a little work to get the mouse to work but I succeeded. I had to test the speaker and the mic and make minor adjustment but eventually got it up and working - from the menu you have to choose the USB versions for the speaker and the mic. Made a call to a friend in the UK and the sound was crystal clear at both ends. What more could I ask for? Having both mouse and 'phone. plugged in to just one of the USBs is an advantage since it leaves me two USBs free.

I have a RTX DUALphone 3088 for Skype that I purchased for £80 here on Amazon but the sound on this little mouse/'phone. is considerably clearer so the only advantages of the RTX DUALphone is that it is hands free and that it is permanently connected.

At this price it's a bargain and highly recommended. There are a large number of 'phones available to be used with SKYPE but don't look any further, this does the job PERFECTLY and you REALLY don't need to spend more.

Orient-Occident 1200-1700
Orient-Occident 1200-1700

3.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL MUSIC, DEFECTIVE RECORDING, 20 Mar. 2011
Like so many of Hesperion XXI's recording and the meticulous research of Jordi Savall it is hard to fault the musical results on this CD. The music is fascinating. Unfortunately the disc claims to be an SACD and it is not. When I tried to play it using 5:1, it would only play on the rear speakers. It will play perfectly in standard two speaker stereo that is unfortunately not the same as 5:1. I eventually returned the recording. If you don't have a 5:1 system and don't mind just hearing it in two speaker stereo I would say it is highly recommended.

Twin Pack 85Mbps Homeplug Ethernet Adapters
Twin Pack 85Mbps Homeplug Ethernet Adapters

5.0 out of 5 stars IF THERE WERE SIX STARS AVAILABLE.........., 1 Mar. 2011
So many have written good reports about these that one more isn't really necessary but I have to add my few words.

I was concerned about buying these because I live in Spain and I would need plug adaptors to use them and also because I really don't know much about my electrical system. I wrote to PixelHeaven and asked them and they replied:

"Thanks for your enquiry.

Yes they can work between ring mains where those circuits are joined at a modern MCU.

However you are correct that depending on the actual equipment some people are OK and some hit problems. Very happy to take them back if they don't work as expected on the understanding they are returned complete in the boxes with all the bit
and pieces they shipped with."

Couldn't be much fairer than that.

Well, the good news is that they were incredibly easy to set up and yes, they do work even though I don't think that the electrical circuit in my sitting room where the router is, is on the same circuit as my study where I have my desktop computer. The unit in the sitting room is plugged in to the wall via a very short (6") extension cord because the plug adaptor stuck out too far and I couldn't get the sofa back, and in the study it is plugged in to a six gang extension socket. None of that stopped it working at full speed.

Don't delay, buy today. A SIX star rating!

The Forgotten Kingdom/Le Royaume Oublie (Hesperion XXI/Jordi Savall)
The Forgotten Kingdom/Le Royaume Oublie (Hesperion XXI/Jordi Savall)

5.0 out of 5 stars A NOT TO BE FORGOTTEN ANTHOLOGY, 7 Feb. 2011
ANYONE even vaguely interested in ancient music could not fail to be enchanted with these three SACDs presented in an albeit somewhat difficult to store, unconventional format in the shape of a 563 page book with the CDs tucked in to the front and back covers.

The presentation is luxurious, comprehensive and highly informative written in no less than seven languages: French, English. Occitan, Castillian, Catalán, German and Italian. The book is also illustrated with photographs of Hesperion XXI and the Capella Reial de Catalunya as well as photographs of medieval manuscripts.

The works are beautifully recorded and with the added dimension of surround sound, really brings the music to life. There are recitations in Occitan by Gérad Gourian and in French and Latin by René Zosso and added to the line up there are musicians from Armenia, Turkey, Bulgaria and Morocco.

All in all a wonderful and meaningful collection covering a short lived and bloody period of history.

I purchased these CDs after having purchased Jordi Savall's excellent "Istanbul: Dmitrie Cantemir: ""The Book of Science of Music"" and the Sephardic and Armenian" also in SACD

Neet© - 3 Port HDMI AUTO SWITCH 3x1 Mini Hub Box (3 way input 1 output) 1080p Full HD v1.3b HDMI Switcher
Offered by Neet Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY "NEET" PIECE OF EQUIPMENT, 20 Dec. 2009
I hardly need praise this tiny little piece of magic since it has received so many good reviews. It meaures just 5cms X 5 sms and works perfectly without the need of an external power source. It comes with a written sheet explaining possible problems and how to overcome them but to be honest, I fitted it and it worked perfectly from the start. My ONLY gripe is the fact that the cables are plugged in on all four sides and that makes it very difficult to hide away. I hope that Neet will re-design this sometime in the future so that all cables are plugged in to just the back.

If you are in as an unusual position as I, living abroad and using two Freesat receivers/recorders and two DVD recorders, be warned that if you are watching one receiver and you have programmed the other to record on to a DVD recorder, when the DVD recorder switches itself on, the switch box with switch automatically to that recorder and if you wish to continue viewing the programme you were watching initially, you will have to switch back manually. But that's a problem that few will face. All in all a very good product and highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2