Profile for Vinyl Junkie > Reviews

Content by Vinyl Junkie

Vinyl Junkie "Usually Identified With The Blues" (In Front Of My Laptop.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
HotScamp Premium Eat Sleep Guitar Mens Black T-Shirt (Small)
HotScamp Premium Eat Sleep Guitar Mens Black T-Shirt (Small)
Offered by HotScamp T-Shirts

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Buy!, 2 April 2015
Good Quality T-Shirt

qtx 35 mm Pole Mount Bracket for 13 - 24-Inch LCD Screens
qtx 35 mm Pole Mount Bracket for 13 - 24-Inch LCD Screens

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Piece Of Kit!, 2 April 2015
Photo does really do this item justice, very well thought out piece of kit and of good quality. Recommended.

Blowin' Free (Karaoke Version)
Blowin' Free (Karaoke Version)

1.0 out of 5 stars RUBBISH!, 11 Mar. 2015
MIDI TRACK ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!!! DON'T BUY THIS!

B.B. King - The Life of Riley [DVD]
B.B. King - The Life of Riley [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Brewer
Offered by Buks4less

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Brilliant!, 16 Mar. 2014
This is an excellent documentary of significant length, the best £3.99 I have ever spent on Amazon! Just buy It!

Levon Helm: Ramble At The Ryman [DVD] [2011]
Levon Helm: Ramble At The Ryman [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Levon Helm
Offered by hifi-media-store

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shape He's In, 16 Mar. 2014
A man of many talents Levon shines on this concert considering his circumstances. Also features some guest spots from Little Sammy Davis, Buddy Miller, Sam Bush & Billy Bob Thornton, John Hiatt, Sheryl Crow as well although I don't think she's at her best.
A little short but still worth owning.

John Hiatt - All That Jazz/Live
John Hiatt - All That Jazz/Live
Dvd ~ John Hiatt
Offered by Oakfield35

4.0 out of 5 stars Thing Called 'All That Jazz', 16 Mar. 2014
Hiatt content of the DVD is first rate. The production company questionable, no sound or picture options, picture isn't full screen. Gimmicky camera work, perhaps he used to work on TOTP? One band member doesn't even get featured on it at all. The DVD suddenly ends after a song and the credits roll, clearly Hiatt's set hasn't yet completed. Did they run out of film? Apart from the negatives still worth buying though.

Live From Austin, Texas [DVD] [2012]
Live From Austin, Texas [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Dwight Yoakam

5.0 out of 5 stars Bakersfield Gem., 16 Mar. 2014
1988 Early Dwight which included a number of my personal favourites. Guest appearances from Flaco Jiminez & Buck Owens. Terrific lead guitar from Pete Anderson. Overall an excellent buy.

When You're Strange - A Film About The Doors [DVD]
When You're Strange - A Film About The Doors [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jim Morrison
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Circle, 16 Oct. 2010
First of all if you like 'The Doors' in any shape or form, then just buy this! Unless your a hardened afficionado as some of the previous reviewers appear to be. The film grabs your attention from the outset with shots from Jim Morrison's own project, the narration by Johnny Depp is excellent, it simply relates the story of the band in sequence from beginning to end. Along the way it does feature 'clips' you may have seen before, I don't see this as a downside, the story is chronological and merges well with media clips of the period, it brings it all back to life for those that belong to that generation, coupled with the outstanding DTS sound it is thoroughly enjoyable. Just accept it as a tribute to Jim Morrison and his talent then you won't be disappointed, the special features are short but there are some generous tributes from his father & sister, there are no interviews with surviving band members, so what! The Film doesn't leave out the negative side of Morrison's behaviour, one of the clips shows him inebriated during a recording session, I didn't see any animosity from other band members, they all look very genial, they knew Morrison well, they coped with it, I really don't think it would serve any purpose today if they were on film telling all and running Morrison down, clearly this isn't their style. I remember going to the Cinema to watch 'Let It Be' when it was released, I was bored witless and saddened by the bands attitude's towards one another, 'When Your Strange' brings us 'Full Circle' a fitting and accurate tribute to 'The Lizard King' it steals your attention from start to finish, very well done.

Perception
Perception

5.0 out of 5 stars Return Of The Lizard King!, 8 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Perception (Audio CD)
I agree with all the above reviews, I received this as a gift, as soon as I got home it was straight on the surround system in DTS mode which I prefer. In an instant I had The Doors performing in my living room! The quality of the sound is beyond previously issued albums, however none of the previous reviewer's have pointed out that when they went back to the original masters they realised that The Doors debut album had been running flat on Vinyl & CD for over 40 years! Yes, Light My Fire other than the single release had been playing back in the wrong key! So here are two solid reasons for buying this box set, one, the sound quality, two, the added bonus of hearing their first album for the first time as it should have been heard originally. It's just fantastic!

Shine A Light (2 Disc Collectors Edition with Bonus Digital Copy) [DVD]
Shine A Light (2 Disc Collectors Edition with Bonus Digital Copy) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mick Jagger
Offered by That's Entertainment - CDs & DVDs

5.0 out of 5 stars Time Is On Their Side!, 19 Nov. 2008
Can't believe the ridiculous comments of Mr Reed, clearly not a Stone's fan, I've been a Fan since their second single & first album which I purchased when I was at school and remained a Fan ever since, and no, not a Fanatic just a Fan!

I with some other old friends went to the Premiere at one of the chosen Cinema's and we all thought that it was just fantastic, now that I have bought the DVD and played it back in DTS mode with a good high volume I enjoyed it even more. Yes, o.k. Keith's vocal on 'Connection' isn't outstanding but he does do a good job of 'You Got The Silver' and even though Paul Weller's been told for smoking on stage, in the States where the ban came in sooner clearly Keith doesn't give a monkey's, which has always been a Stones trait for all of us who have lived through it.

Mick does an excellent job of 'Sympathy For The Devil' and the crowd obviously love it, yes, there are young girls down the front near the band, why is it so hard to believe that young people actually like them, hasn't Ronnie just hitched up with someone young enough to be his daughter! Did we expect to see ancient Stone's fan's down the front with their zimmer frames, well, we're not that old, was Mr Reed present with his torch and personally 'Shine A Light' on every individual to see if any of the audience was over 60, what nonsense, been to a real concert recently have you?

As I remember it, the Stones have always dressed how they pleased and I think they still look cool, are they now supposed to buy all their clothes from 'Greenwoods'? As for the comment don't trust a man in a suit, well if you were there Mr Reed you will remember that Brian Epstein put 'The Beatles' in suit's at the beginning, I rest my case.

I hope when I reach Jagger's age, and I'm not that far off that I can still have this kind of energy, hat's off to the bloke, well done mate and keep it up. I also noted that Charlie Watt's is still just using a basic drum kit for all these great songs, I just saw Mick Fleetwood recently and he'd need a Transist just for the drum kit alone!

Remember from very early on they wrote their own song's and basically invented the 'The Rock Band' in this format, I'll bet many of the 'Bands' around today hope that they will survive this long and still be at the top of the game, this DVD show's off the quality of what will become their legacy to rock music!

If you are a lapsed Stone's Fan because of age or whatever, maybe listening to more mellow music in your late years, this is well worth buying to rekindle those days before you started popping the vitamins. As they say, 'If The Knees Are'nt Knocking, Then Keep On Rocking' well done to the Stones & Mr Scorsese, pure excellence!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3