Profile for A. Shuttleworth > Reviews

Content by A. Shuttleworth

A. Shuttleworth "ali" (scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Folding Magnifier 21Mm Loupe 20X Chrome
Folding Magnifier 21Mm Loupe 20X Chrome
Offered by EXCITES
Price: 1.30

3.0 out of 5 stars Clearly not 20x, 29 May 2014
I have used these for various purposes, but mainly for examining and identifying small organisms (mosses, beetles, flies, etc.). They lenses are clearly NOT 20x. 10x is more likely. They are good value for money though. When you see through a genuine 20x lens uou will know the difference immediately.

The Butterflies of Britain and Ireland
The Butterflies of Britain and Ireland
by Jeremy Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, 12 Mar 2014
It's a living room reading book rather than a field guide. I wish for other groups such a thing were available but maybe British Isles butterflies is a manageable group to cover in this space. The illustrations are superb. The species accounts shed light on each species without being overly long or technical. As a source of information on butterflies I can't add to the glowing reviews of its contents already given, but as a book lover I can say that it's truly beautiful as a book.

Garmin eTrex 10 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit
Garmin eTrex 10 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit
Price: 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I wanted, 6 Mar 2014
This handy little thing feels solid as a rock, quickly acquires location even under trees, and works great with downloaded routes to follow and uploaded tracks to see where you went. Has saved me from getting lost, helped me find a destination and given me precise locations for when I want to record a particular point i have been (natural history recording mostly). If you want a nice cheap usable GPS I can't imagine anything is better. You'll need rechargable batteries or to replace them with heavy usage. They're good for quite a long time though

Difficult People: Dealing With Difficult People At Work
Difficult People: Dealing With Difficult People At Work
by Colin G Smith
Price: 5.87

1.0 out of 5 stars Pamphlet of platitudes, 6 Mar 2014
Even though I bought this as a joke gift I still felt taken for a ride when this showed up. Had I noticed the author was a snake oil salesman (i.e. NLP expert) I wouldn't have lined his pockets. The contents are generic and could have been written by anyone. They require no particular expertise or qualifications. I'd recommend finding something with a bit more substance - I'm sure you can do a lot better for your money

Mushrooms
Mushrooms
by Roger Phillips
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't be five stars, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Mushrooms (Paperback)
This is a nice feeling book which has a wealth of information, and its positives are well covered in other reviews. However, for me a field guide can't get five stars when it lacks distribution maps and notes on diagnostic characters between closely related species (or those which appear close). Trawling through the pages also isn't a lot of fun - if you know a bit you can cut that down, so I accept maybe this is tougher for newbies. While you might have to do this with, e.g., Collins superb bird guide, you get a lot of key help with, e.g., Rose's wildflowers. Also completely separating the fungi from their habitat loses a lot many respects. It's not that it isn't the best available - just that it's not perfect. There are still relatively easy ways this book could be better. It isn't really a field guide as it is, so adding these features and making it more heavy, and more expensive (for best of breed it's a steal as it is) would make it a five star offering. So to summarise I'd like keys, diagnostic pointers and distribution maps, please.

Britain's Day-flying Moths: A Field Guide to the Day-flying Moths of Britain and Ireland (Britain's Wildlife)
by David E. Newland
Price: 12.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book in a fantastic series, 24 Oct 2013
I have three of this series now (including Butterflies and Hoverflies)and they are all remarkable. Lots of information presented well in a nice format of book and at a great price. What's not to like? You don't often get so much for so little these days. Even if you never saw a moth, the books themselves are a joy.

The Biggest Twitch: Around the World in 4,000 Birds
The Biggest Twitch: Around the World in 4,000 Birds
by Alan Davies
Price: 11.30

3.0 out of 5 stars The biggest list, 9 Oct 2013
I have had this for a couple of weeks. After I started it I feared the worst, and now I think I'm not going to make it. "We went to place {a} and we met person {b} with whom we saw {d,e,f} and {anecdote} happened. After this our total was {x}. Repeat. Sorry, I love birds and I love travel, but even though I can share the experiences of scoring, dipping, and any number of birding-related {anecdote} I now know that I can't share those things on a loop at the pace of a book. I suspect the book's biggest value to me is that I also now know I probably couldn't enjoy what the authors did either, much as it might appeal at first sight - so I have that to thank them for at least. It all became less meaningful as time went on, as I suspect it might in reality (for me). I also know that if you are going to do it then cultivating professional and personal relationships for a while before the attempt will probably make or break the effort. I enjoyed some of it, but I couldn't take all of it.

The Vegetative Key to the British Flora
The Vegetative Key to the British Flora
by J. Poland
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed, 17 Sep 2013
As a near-beginner I can add to the laments of those learning botanical terms. On the other hand it's great for learning botanical terms. (with some additional internet searching for illustrations). Some terms are not defined in the glossary. It does seem to work better where you have an idea where you're going. The key shouldn't really have on one side "usually", because if you knew what a plant "usually" had you wouldn't need the key. You also shouldn't have in the key "smooth stem" and have the plant key out to one with the description "finely ridged stem" - it's either smooth or it isn't. If memory serves there are also keys on annual/perennial. Can you tell on appearance or is this an appeal to foreknowledge also?

I wish there were more illustrations because the ones that are there are superlative. An illustrated glossary (using the same artists) would be fantastic, although maybe I am not the intended end user. Anyway, I find it a steep curve as a beginner and some plants I have just failed completely with. In time I hope I will get the full value out of it, but a few uses in the biggest value is as a learning tool rather than an identification one.

Philip's Guide to Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe
Philip's Guide to Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe
by Bob Gibbons

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss, 12 Aug 2013
I chose something on the beginner side of things because I felt like using a key from a standing start would be an obstacle. I find the initial key is written very badly - perhaps by a person who knows flowers but is poor with logic. I have copied it out longhand (only 12 cats) as it's easier to just look up the list. It is just about workable though. My other main gripe, having used the book in the field daily for a month or so, is that the illustrations can be shockingly bad, completely failing to capture the character of a plant (Wild Angelica and Lady's Bedstraw as examples). I find the illustrations of the carrot family in particular might as well all be one picture they are so poorly illustrated. When I cross reference a photographic guide and the actual plant I can't help but marvel at how badly it is portrayed. I would never have ID's some of them without using another book, sadly. I think there must be better options out there. Looking forward to moving to a "proper" guide and learning to use keys. For a couple of quid it's hard to give it less than 3 stars though.

Alternative Paradigms: Impact of Islamic and Western Weltanschauungs on Political Theory
by Ahmet Davutoglu
Price: 41.95

3.0 out of 5 stars enlightening, 27 Jun 2013
This book is a must for anyone seeking to understand Turkey under his party - AKP. Davutoglu considers the differences in worldview between his (Islamic) worldview and that of the west, proving beyond doubt that they are incompatible. Nobody in the West in the 21st century could accept that nature is subject to God. At least, not enough people to make it count, mercifully - we outgrew that a long time ago. When Turkey outgrows this religious worldview, when Davutoglu can no longer write this book because it's not true any more, then that modern Turkey will be able to shift to join the Western world.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3