Profile for M. Rikken > Reviews

Content by M. Rikken

M. Rikken (Amsterdam, NL)

The Collection
The Collection
Price: 7.83

2.0 out of 5 stars Value for money but another track listing mess-up, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
When I saw this collection listed on Amazon, I was delighted to see that the "Special Mix" of [European Queen] finally would be on CD. On almost every other collection, [Caribbean Queen] was the version pressed onto CD. HUGE was my disappointment to find that, yet again, the record company had screwed up the track listing; it's not the [European Queen], but the special mix of the [Caribbean Queen] version that is pressed onto CD2, track 15.

Another disappointment is the way they've cut short [When The Going Gets Tough...]; at 02:29-02:30 there is an edit and the whole track only lasts 3 minutes.

Like I said; value for money if you don't own any Billy Ocean CD but a huge disappointment for a collector like myself!

Africa [Blu-ray]
Africa [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough
Price: 15.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderfull, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: Africa [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Again a fantastic job done by the BBC crew, this time in Africa. The documentaries give a good insight on how difficult the filming sometimes was. Image is crispy clear and sounds fabulous. Highly recommended for all ages!

The Last Airbender (Blu-ray 3D - Amazon.co.uk Exclusive) [Region Free]
The Last Airbender (Blu-ray 3D - Amazon.co.uk Exclusive) [Region Free]
Price: 24.39

1.0 out of 5 stars 3D version? Are you kidding me?, 31 Aug 2013
Like another reviewer else already wrote, this 3D looks like it was done in 2.1. I think my TV or Blu-Ray player would have done a better job in creating artificial 3D out of the 2D version. Out of all my 3D Blu-Rays, this is really the worst one and I don't think it can get any worse. No wonder the movie was called The LAST Airbender, with the emphasis on LAST. If there’s ever a NEXT airbender, I will definitely skip it and spend my money on something better. Too bad though because it could have been so much better since there a so many computer generated images.

Thumbelina [Blu-ray] [1994] [US Import]
Thumbelina [Blu-ray] [1994] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Barbara Cook
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 4.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Thumbelina Blu-Ray (US Import), 17 April 2013
I still have the DVD from way back and was hoping for a proper (European) Blu-Ray version. Since I'm Dutch and no Dutch version is in the planning, I purchased the U.S. version after carefully reading several websites that listed it as an region A AND B version (even though on the cover it only lists this Blu-Ray as region A).
The movie itself looks far more darker than I remembered (I haven't checked back with the DVD version) and colors don't seem to be consistent. They look a bit off!
Also, it looks like not much effort has been put into the restoration process. White spots appear everywhere but not at all as bad as on the Blu-Ray of Ferngully.
But still, it is nice to have it on Blu-Ray with DTS HD 5.1 Master Audio.

There a just a few languages and subtitles listed on the cover but here's the overview (I hope I got it right):

Languages:
English DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 - English DD 2.0 - Castillian DD 5.1 - French DTS 5.1 - Spanish DTS 5.1 - Danish DTS 5.1 - German DTS 5.1 - Italian DTS 5.1 - Czech DD 2.0

Subtitles:
English - Spanish - French - Spanish - Danish - German - Italian - Swedish

Monsters, Inc. (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [2002] [Region Free]
Monsters, Inc. (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [2002] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Pete Docter
Offered by EagleDVD
Price: 15.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Monsters Inc. 3D Blu-Ray + Blu-Ray (UK version), 26 Feb 2013
Received my 3D Blu-Ray copy of Monsters Inc. today. It comes in a nice 3D slipcover which was a pleasant surprise. I won't say much about the movie itself: it's brilliant. One of the best 3D movies I've seen so far. Also the new 7.1 sound is terrific! Toy Story Toons: Partysaurus Rex and For the Birds are also present in 3D and look amazing. A must own for 3D and 7.1 sound lovers! Highly recommended.

But for the edition itself? The reason for my one star deduction! Reading about the US version I feel we've been let down... again! The US version comes with the 3D + 2D version AND the bonus Blu-Ray Disc, next to a DVD and a Digital Copy. It has (new) extra's and even the sound of the standard 2D Blu-Ray has been upgraded to 7.1. NOT on the UK version. It is exactly the same as the 2009 2D Blu-Ray (if you disregard the new sneak peeks for Monsters University, Aladdin and Mulan). So I have to keep both the 2009 & 2013 edition of the Monsters Inc. Blu-Rays to have most of the available extra's ... but the US version still has more! Another missed opportunity.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2013 1:41 PM GMT

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free]
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Bill Hader
Price: 12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Audio & Subtitles for Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs 3D Blu-Ray, 9 Aug 2010
Just got the 3D Blu-Ray disc from Amazon UK today. I bought this disc because it would have Dutch audio & Dutch subtitles, this was mentioned on the Blu-ray.com website. From that website is a link available to the Amazon.co.uk website to purchase this 3D Blu-ray. And so I did.
Was a bit disappointed when I received it today, here are the languages:
*) DTS-HD MA: UK & JAP.
*) DD5.1: EN ADT, Chinese CANT, Chinese MAND, DAN, FIN, KOR, NOR, SWE & THAI.
*) Subtitles in EN, EN-HOH, CHIN, DAN, FIN, HINDI, INDONESIAN, JAP, KOR, NOR, SWE & THAI.
Good thing it's region A, B & C and from the main menu you can choose to watch the movie in 2D or 3D.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2011 12:34 PM GMT