Profile for Sm Drew > Reviews

Content by Sm Drew

Sm Drew "dingalongcow" (Colchester, Essex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as well as the brand, 8 Aug. 2013
I have Ibs and like to have a packet if this on hand for the occasional emergency.

This works as well as the expensive branded Immodium I have been buying for years at a fraction of the price.

04 The Two-faced God (The Roman Mystery Scrolls)
04 The Two-faced God (The Roman Mystery Scrolls)
by Caroline Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars 8 year old desperate for more!, 8 Aug. 2013
I bought all four of this series for my 8 year old daughter. When she reads them I can hear her laughing hysterically in her room. They are short, half the length of the Roman Mysteries stories at least, but my daughter says they are very funny and a bit rude (toilet humour).

The story is exciting, fast paced and educational, just like the original Roman Mysteries books, but a bit simpler for slightly younger or less advanced or focused reader. My daughter says that thing happen quicker and there are fewer scenes where the characters are sitting around puzzling out the mystery

Elephant - Woodcraft Construction Kit
Elephant - Woodcraft Construction Kit
Offered by Quay Shop

3.0 out of 5 stars Tricky, instruction limited, 8 Aug. 2013
I bought this for my 8 year old as she loves kits and model making.

After about twenty minutes she burst into tears as the instructions are really limited (a5 sheet of paper for quite a complex build) and hard to follow. She was also struggling to get the wooden pieces out. There are lots of pieces that are very similar and I had to label them all with a pencil on each piece.

After an hour of me helping she gave up and I finished it in another thirty minutes. I found the instructions hard to follow myself and made several mistakes where I had to take bits apart and start again.

The finished elephant is sturdy, apart from the head which fell off whenever I moved it.

The Woman Who Wasn't There: The True Story of an Incredible Deception
The Woman Who Wasn't There: The True Story of an Incredible Deception
by Robin Gaby Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding and totally shocking, 27 Sept. 2012
After September 11th 2001, those who had been inside or around the towers were left traumatised and profoundly affected by their experiences. Adding to their struggle was the feeling of having been abandoned, that they should feel lucky to be alive when so many had died so tragically. Banding together with other survivors in support groups they met online and in person to discuss their feelings and emotions.

Out of these groups one character emerged as a supersurvivor, Tania Head. Not only had she survived the 9/11 attacks, but she had been terribly injured and had lost her fiance too. She became a spokesperson for the survivors, organising them into a network that agitated for acknowledgement and help; as well as encouraging them in therapeutic healing.

However as time went on it became clear that this woman, whose story had shocked the world, might not have been telling the truth at all. And the survivors had to deal with the devastating fact that someone who they had trusted totally was not what they seemed.

Beginning with the fantasy constructed by Tania Head and written in a light and very readable style, this book follows the story from the first appearance of Tania Head to the downfall of the life she had painstakingly detailed and lived for so long.

This book is shocking and disturbing in many places, smattered with testimony about the attacks and the resulting emotions experienced by the survivors. In addition it is a terrifying look at the depths that some people will sink to be the centre of attention and how a charismatic personality can be trusted by so many in such a massive lie for so long.

Solid Hematite Ring (Thin) - Size - UK, L / USA 6
Solid Hematite Ring (Thin) - Size - UK, L / USA 6
Offered by CrystalAge

5.0 out of 5 stars Glossy and sleek, 7 Sept. 2012
I took a chance on this ring as I was initially dubious about what I'd get for the price (about £3.50 delivered).

Firstly I was delighted by how quickly it arrived from Crystal Age. I placed the order on Thursday morning and it came with the Friday post, well packed and protected in a padded envelope.

The ring itself is really lovely and true to size. It has a wonderful sleek glossiness to it like it has been rubbed with oil. In direct sunlight the ring has beautiful dark blue depths.

Its not fragile and has taken some bashes already without damage, although I suspect after a few more months the ring will begin to be a little scratched and will lose some of its gloss.

Its such a pretty and striking piece of jewellery, I'm very happy with it.

LEGO Games 3865: City Alarm
LEGO Games 3865: City Alarm
Offered by TradeLego

5.0 out of 5 stars Which will you be? The cop or the robber?, 22 Jun. 2012
This review is from: LEGO Games 3865: City Alarm (Toy)
I bought this for my seven year old daughter as she really enjoyed Minotaurus and the Heroica Lego games.

When you open the box there are an awful lot of fiddly little Lego bits waiting for you - the board game is about 25 centimetres by 30 centimetres and there is a lot to fit on it. It took me twenty five minutes to make the board, make the tiny little buildings, the jail and the helicopter. Once the game is made you don't need to make it again as it fits nicely into the box. Unless of course you shake or drop the box from a height, in which case- don't throw the instructions away!

You get four little 'thieves' and two 'policemen', 7 'moving bricks' instead of a conventional dice, a special Lego dice and some tiny little bits of Lego money.

The aim of the game is to be either the thieves or the policeman (so its definitely a two person game). The thieves have to move around the board to collect the Lego money- collect ten and they have won. They collect money by standing next to a building and rolling the dice. The outcomes are:

-helicopter- no money and the helicopter gets moved from the jail to the building in question. This means no more robbery attempts from that particular building until it has moved again
-helicopter and one money- as above but the thieves get away with one stack of cash
-two cash- thieves get away with two stacks of cash.

The policemen move around the board and if they land on a thief then they get put into the little jail and are out of the game.

This game has a playing time of about ten to twenty minutes and it was good fun for both myself and my daughter. She wins a lot but we won't dwell on that bit! Its fast paced and with just the right combination of luck and skill. And of course you can swap places at the end and try your hand at the other side of the law.

The only issue I have is with the 'moving brick' concept. Seven bricks have little flat pieces on top. Six of these are traditional dice faces and one is a 'train' (which allows movement to any of the white squares on the board - these are 'train stations'). They rest face down and each player takes turns to turn one over and move the indicated number of spaces. Once all the bricks are turned face up then you have to turn them over again and shuffle them around.

Pros to this concept- added strategy in working out which pieces have been turned over and which are left to play e.g. all the dice faces were turned over, so my daughter moved one of the 'thieves' off a train station, as she knew I would turn the train piece over next and catch her with my policeman.

Cons- adds a lot of extra time to the game with the shuffling which is more difficult than it seems as the pieces like to tip onto their sides and reveal the number. It also adds more pieces to be swept or knocked off the table. Plus my daughter kept automatically holding her hand out to take the dice which was irritating.

Nine out of ten though, cracking little game.

LEGO Games 3860: Heroica Castle Fortaan
LEGO Games 3860: Heroica Castle Fortaan
Offered by Mytoyfactory

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab your sword and plunge into the fray., 18 Jun. 2012
I bought this for my daughter for her 7th birthday. She is heavily into fantasy and loves both board games and Lego and I thought this would be ideal for her. She told me it was the best present she received for her birthday and she has requested to play it every day so far.

First you have to build the game board which was a little fiddly with lots of tiny pieces but it only took me 15-20 minutes. A seven year old on their own would take much longer I think. Lots of the pieces are unique like a little frog piece, tiny weapons etc, but many of them could be replaced from a normal Lego collection which is reassuring when you have an interested toddler as well as a 7 year old! The board can be laid out in lots of different ways but the game comes with a plan showing two or three different arrangements. You can add extra bits from your own Lego collection as well, coming up with new rules around their incorporation into the game.

You begin the game by choosing a hero according to whichever special skill appeals to you. Then you travel round the game board, collecting keys, potions and gold, losing health points and trying to beat your opponents to the magical goblin with the special helmet. Each game takes around twenty minutes to play, if you buy all four sets or have more players then in can take up to an hour. There is a special Lego dice which you use to find out if you have defeated the enemy figures or not. I still keep the game book open as I am not quite up to remembering what everything does, but its easy enough to look down and check when I need to.

Its a great game and I enjoy playing it as much as she does (she is setting up for another game right now whilst I write this). It requires logical thinking, long term planning and strategy, working out which items would be best to buy, when to use your potions and gold, who to fight and whether to search or enter into lots of battles. My daughter has embraced the whole concept with open arms and you can almost see the cogs whirring as she plays. It has also sparked her imagination hugely and she is coming up with some fantastic game layouts and incorporating some of the scenarios into stories and pictures.

Needless to say we have got the other sets as well. This is an awesome game, can't recommend it highly enough.

Be a Happier Parent with NLP (Teach Yourself General)
Be a Happier Parent with NLP (Teach Yourself General)
by Judy Bartkowiak

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 1 Jun. 2012
I am a stay at home mum of two children aged 7 and 2. The age difference causes an awful lot of squabbling and shouting and its hard to know how to manage and discipline them. Add in a husband who is away an awful lot for work and you have a house with a lot of bellowing and shouting.

I gave this book a try as I wanted a different approach and one that would benefit both the children and myself. This book sets out a series of reflective tasks mixed in with useful techniques, insight and advice. I was a bit dubious at first butfound that it is written in a confident, kind and down-to-earth style with no psychobabble. I didn't feel judged or like I was made to feel bad at all.

The book took a month or two to work through with all the tasks and giving the information a chance to settle in and absorb, but I have found that the level of shouting has diminished by at least 50%, everyone seems happier and I seem to be parenting more calmly and intuitively. It is not a simple 'quick-fix' solution, but its one that aims to change parenting for good. I am very impressed with how easy this was to read and understand and how much of an impact it has had on my life.

I can recommend this book to other parents in a similar situation to myself and also parents wanting to have a better relationship with their children. It would also be useful to a parent who wants to boost their child's confidence and self-esteem as the techniques involved help to identify your child's strengths and weaknesses, accept them and talk to them positively and constructively about it

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but good., 24 May 2012
This is a nice enough shawl, its smart enough to wear to a formal function but I suspect it would not stand up to repeat wearings. The material is very thin and mine had a small run in the back when it arrived. It also had quite a chemically smell to it but I didn't want to take the risk of washing it (and it disintegrating) so I hung it on the line and it dissipated quickly.

The measurements on the product page are accurate and on me (5'6 and a size 18) it wraps nicely around my shoulders, falling to my waist at the back and sides. There is a small amount of cross over at the front but not a huge amount. The ends reached to about mid thigh.

I paid about £2 for this shawl and I am very happy. I needed a simple cover-up for a wedding and I knew I wasn't going to want to use it again (except perhaps as a blanket/sunshade for my children whilst at the event and in the car home) so I am pleased I got something that looks nice, wasn't hugely expensive and does the job. Delivery was two days from ordering which was great.

Club Penguin Puffle Series 8 BLUE with coin code [Toy]
Club Penguin Puffle Series 8 BLUE with coin code [Toy]

4.0 out of 5 stars Playground craze, 23 May 2012
Puffles are the latest craze at my 6 year old daughter's school and almost every child has one. I can't see the appeal of these things but there is no doubt that children can come up with a number of ingenious games to play with each other and these things.

This puffle measures about 10cm x 10cm with the hair adding a few more centimetres on top. It comes with a disc with a code on it to unlock things on the Club Penguin website, but we haven't used it. The puffle is enough for my daughter. Puffles also come in keyring sizes and cushion sizes, plus there is a reversible one which turns into a penguin and back again. These ones seem to be the most popular as the cushion ones can't be taken into school and the smaller ones are easily lost (and dare I say it..stolen). I have sewn a name label on the bottom of my daughter's one as the label is easily cut off.

She has owned hers for almost a year now and its very grubby looking as owing to the hair they are quite difficult to wash. We attempted a gentle dunk in the bath and a cursory hair brush and some of its hair at the front is now noticeably shorter having broken off. The hair matts very quickly but my daughter claims this is a good thing as it means it can be 'styled' more easily, whatever that means. I;m glad we didn't get her the white one.

I have never felt more sympathy for my poor beleagured mother when we presented her with a similar playground craze which we simply had to have. I have also never felt so old.

Anyway. For me it was worth a tenner for my daughter to join in all the popular puffle games at school. The actual toy is worth about £5 so if you can get it for that then you won't feel quite so ripped off.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6