Profile for David I. Brown > Reviews

Content by David I. Brown

David I. Brown (Stockport ENGLAND)

Page: 1 | 2
Jude the Obscure (Wordsworth Classics)
Jude the Obscure (Wordsworth Classics)
by Thomas Hardy

4.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, but a great read!, 10 April 2012
The book is definitely not to be entered with a light heart, since it's depressing and dreary storyline escalates as it goes on. It is one of Thomas Hardy's greatest novels, though it would need perseverance in some parts. Overall, I highly recommend this dark, mysterious book to a person who is looking forward to a forlorn, disheartening, but certainly interesting read.

Gone with the Wind
Gone with the Wind
by Margaret Mitchell

4.0 out of 5 stars Very realistic, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Gone with the Wind (Paperback)
This book seemed very realistic and was entertaining in many ways. Despite it's compelling plot, I found that as I ploughed on with the book, it seemed to ramble on, though it's hard not to, with it being very long. Various parts dragged on, and I began to lose my patience and started to skim over a few pages. It isn't hard to follow, and is a great read, putting aside it's faults, and I highly recommend it!

Birdsong (Vintage War)
Birdsong (Vintage War)
by Sebastian Faulks

4.0 out of 5 stars Partly disappointing, but realistic, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Birdsong (Vintage War) (Paperback)
I read Birdsong at quite an early age, and I think it is safe to say it's not suitable for children. I found the book repetitive, but strangely, not boring. People who had previously read it told me what they thought about the book, and I'm not sure if they exaggerated, or something else, but I thought it partly disappointing. Maybe because I have read so many books on war, I was just tired of the same old thing. However, it was still interesting and a great read on many levels!

Half a Wing, Three Engines and a Prayer: B-17's Over Germany ("Aviation Week" Books)
by Brian D. O'Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable courage, 6 May 2011
Very good book detailing the missions of a bomber crew. Some times I found it a bit confussing as to which aircraft was in which part of the formation, but I think that was me rather than the book.

What I really liked was the way the same situation (downing of a fighter, a bomber going down etc) was described by different members of the crew, or crew from different aircraft. Even though it was the exact same situation, each perspective gave a different description.

Overall an incredible and sometimes horrowing read (young mem jumping from burning aircraft and their chutes burning up as they left the plane). The bravey of these young men should never be forgotten.

War and Peace (Penguin Classics)
War and Peace (Penguin Classics)
by Leo Tolstoy

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite book, 3 April 2011
I bought this as a bit of a whim and I don't normally read novels - and how many times have you heard someone describe something as 'it's not War and Peace. So when I saw this new version I though I'd give it a try.

To me it's a great book, Tolstoy was years ahead of his time. It can be confussing at times as the same character can be referred to by different names (First name, surname, title) even within the same sentance. And at times it can drag a little, but only a little.

I enjoyed it so much the first time I've decided to re-read it. However, my wife who devours novels couldn't take to this and gave up less than a third in. There's no accounting for taste!

Alhambra
Alhambra
Offered by Annikhali

4.0 out of 5 stars My daughter liked it, 28 Feb 2011
This review is from: Alhambra (Toy)
I think to like this game, you have to have a bit of an interest in boardgames (it's nothing like Monopoly of Trivial Pursuit). I thought it was an OK sort of game, my 12 year old daughter really liked it. The age range was 8 upwards, not sure an average 8 year old would have been comfortable with it though.

Once comfortable with the rules it plays in about 45mins

Not sure what the negative comments about in being in German were on about. The rules were in English and all the pieces were language independant

God's Fury, England's Fire: A New History of the English Civil Wars
God's Fury, England's Fire: A New History of the English Civil Wars
by Michael Braddick

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 30 Jan 2011
This is possible one of the worst books I've read in recent years.

It started out great, in fact the first third was so good that I started to research other books by this author. However after about a third it started to fall apart, and by two thirds through it was all over the place. With about 100 or so pages to go I finally gave up, and I can't remember the last book I failed to finish

Like I stated, it all started so well, but then it starts going of a tangents and some of his writing is very very difficult to understand. There was more than one paragraph that I read, and re-read an re-read, and still did't comprehend what on earth he was trying to tell me.

I felt as though the author was trying to pad the book out and there were sections that I felt are direct copies from other sources. However, I had enough when he started labouring on about witchcraft, the occult and astrology.

Nemesis: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45
Nemesis: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45
by Max Hastings

1.0 out of 5 stars Not his best...by a long way, 23 Nov 2010
I've read several of Max Hasting books and have enjoyed them (Overlord, Bomber Command(I can't recall it's specific name)and Nemesis), I rather looked forward to his treatment of the Pacific campaign. I shouldn't have bothered, it was rubbish.

What really really cheesed me and set new depths of 'we just need to pad things out' was when he started quoting, in Cockney, what some good ordinary British soldiers said or thought.

It just felt like he had to write a book on the Pacific, and was making it up as he went along

Tank Men
Tank Men
by Robert Kershaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving, 26 Aug 2010
This review is from: Tank Men (Paperback)
I only bought this book on a whim as, although I love history, this wouldn't be the type of book I would normally buy. However what a great buy.

This is one of the best books I have read or bought in a long time. The human stories that unfold are incredable and very moving. This book I feel brought me as close to the horrors of war as I want to get to. To be any closer I think I would actually have to be there.

I would recommend this book to anyone, regardless of whether they are interested in tanks or not. It's not a technical piece of work but a human story of the tragedy of war, anyone who thinks war is glorious should read this - it may change their view. Very well written

Live In Australia With The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra [DVD] [2003]
Live In Australia With The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Meat Loaf

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 May 2008
I was a bit apprehensive about this DVD. I saw his London performance of Three Bats Live on TV and thought it was poor - Meat Loaf sounded and looked liked a pub drunk. His backing band was great but he wasn't

However this performance in Australia was brilliant.

Page: 1 | 2