Profile for Peter Sullivan > Reviews

Content by Peter Sullivan

Peter Sullivan (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
CHILDHOOD, YOUTH AND EXILE
CHILDHOOD, YOUTH AND EXILE

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, poor ebook, 13 Mar. 2016
This is a good book and considered almost a classic by some. Just a quick comment about the formatting/meta-data - once downloaded, unlike other ebooks, it seems to have very few or in fact no options on Kindle to alter line spacing, margins, font, etc. I think Amazon should inform customers of this. Not a big issue due to the low price.

Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and play No drivers Needed. [Black] (AU-MMSA)
Offered by Store4PC-Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and works a treat, 18 Jan. 2016
Excellent piece of kit, far better than the slightly cheaper type I've used for a couple of years. This product is solidly built, small, yet still at a pretty good price. Highly recommended, especially if your computer has a damaged earphone plug, which mine has. This does the job well and is fairly inconspicuous.

Microwave Slippers for Men Large Size 8-11 GREY
Microwave Slippers for Men Large Size 8-11 GREY
Offered by Amazing Health

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel human again, 7 Dec. 2015
After a lot of problems with cold feet, partly due to some tablets I take, my life has been much improved by these slippers. So much so that blood is actually circulating properly in my feet and I can wear fewer sweaters in the house during the cold, damp British winters. It's like my whole body has heated up. I feel human again and am not cursing all the time about cold feet.

By the way, they're not too good for walking around in - in fact I would definitely warn against that, unless it's a very short distance. They're too full of beads/grains to walk safely. You'll just have to live with that.

Also, as others have said - they do not stay warm anywhere near as long as is claimed - but do not let this put you off. There is still a big benefit to using them.

I've knocked a star off because I have a suggestion for the makers: when you put your feet up, the grains drop down quite far, leaving no grains at the top. This reduces somewhat their ability to keep feet warm, but it's not a massive issue, especially because the material is fleece, which insulates pretty well anyway even when they haven't been microwaved. There are also no gaps around where you put your foot in for air to escape, which is good. However, why not incorporate dividers or baffles inside the wall of the slipper, dividing off various parts of the slipper? You'd be able to get a more even coverage of grains when the foot is in a variety of positions. For those of you who have no idea what I mean, buy the slippers and see. I do recommend buying them anyway, as they are good.

They are also very good value.

There's an aroma of freshly baked bread to them too, which I like. I'd rather have that than some added scent like lavender, which they do to other makes of this type of slipper.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, 13 Aug. 2015
Unfortunately I found this really bitter and unusable, even though I've used camomile for years. I've had many products from Simpli-Special all of which have been excellent. I think I was just unlucky with this product. They do have a money back guarantee though, I understand.

Lowepro Apex 60 AW Digital Camera Pouch - Black
Lowepro Apex 60 AW Digital Camera Pouch - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, but not bad at all, 13 Aug. 2015
Sent this back. Well made in general, but the strap is a bit too narrow, the internal pockets aren't deep enough (seems memory cards could jump up and slip out) and the strap attachments are not great - they seem too fiddly and small to easy use. I have another Lowepro pouch which I've used for over ten years and which I love, so this item was a bit disappointing, but I think others may have no problem with it. I do emphasise though that the build quality is still second to none.

NITECORE UM20 1.6" LCD Lightweight Smart USB Dual Li-ion Batteries Charger - Black
Offered by Cell Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't ask for more, 13 Aug. 2015
Very good product, compact, great value while being very well made. Uses a USB power source so also good for travel (no big, heavy wall plug). I did have an Xtar charger, but this Nitecore is far better I reckon.

Atheism What Everyone Needs to Know
Atheism What Everyone Needs to Know
by Michael Ruse

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 13 Aug. 2015
Just a fairly brief review, or rather opinion of this book: I found it good overall. I expected more discussion and a deeper analysis of the philosophical arguments for the existence of God, rather than the wider remit of analysing atheism as a critique of some aspects of Christianity. I am more interested in the philosophical discussions about the existence of God. But the book is a very good overview of the subject, although it does focus heavily on responding to Christianity mentioning other religions pretty much in passing. Ruse is open about this approach and is not claiming to be offering anything else.

It's very clearly and well written, well referenced and easy to read. He's clearly a very talented and knowledgeable scholar. I would much rather read his books than say Dawkins, as Ruse seems far, far less vehement in his views and is open to arguments from believers and seems to weigh them up in a far more balanced way.

Occasionally, when presenting an argument the author says things as part of one side of the argument and you think for a while that is his own view. I was confused a little by that. I think it would have been better to pop in a few 'they claim' and 'according to' ... to make things a little clearer.

Apart from that, so long as you don't expect too deep an analysis of religious issues then I can recommend this book.

Through it All I've Always Laughed: Memoirs of Count Arthur Strong
Through it All I've Always Laughed: Memoirs of Count Arthur Strong
by Count Arthur Strong

3.0 out of 5 stars Count down, 13 Aug. 2015
I'm sure this book is aimed at fans of the TV series, rather than the original radio series. It recycles, usually verbatim, quite a lot of the material from the radio shows. Considering I've listened to each of the seven radio series he did, about ten times at least, this repetition of material grew to be annoying in the book, although if you've not heard the radio shows you may enjoy the book. The radio shows were far, far superior to the TV shows, but I think it shows a lack of imagination on the author's part in not coming up with more material for the book and just bunging in chunks of the radio script, mangled here and there to fit the book's narrative. I don't say that lightly as I love the Count (on the radio) and admire Steve Delaney who plays him. In my opinion, apart from a few minutes here and there, Count Arthur on TV was appalling and frankly pathetic and I don't think this book is too much better, maybe a little. Totally unsubtle humour, miles away from his near genius on the radio. A lot of the genius of the Count is his performance on the radio, the tone of voice, the timing, etc. I felt let down by the book and found it a grind, not an easy thing to say for me, a massive fan of his.

If you take a look at the book 'I Partridge' you can see how such a book should be done. 'I Partridge' bristled with inventiveness and imagination, although, admittedly, there were multiple writers who worked on it, including the Gibbons brothers. But come on Steve (Delaney, not Coogan), you can do better than this. Or can you? I'm beginning to wonder. The Count Arthur Radio Show was one of the very best things on the radio in the last two or three decades or longer, so why agree to such appalling scripts co-written by Graham Linehan for TV? I was a big fan of Father Ted, which Graham co-wrote, but maybe it was Arthur Matthews who was the funny one. If you're into the Count's radio show and not the TV shows, I reckon you may not like this book. Or I could be completely wrong. There's no accounting for taste, especially when it comes to humour.

Microfibers Cleaning Cloths - 5 Large Colorful Cloths Suitable for Cleaning Glasses, Spectacles, Cameras, iPad, Tablets, Phones, LCD Screens, Silverware and Other Delicate Surfaces by ECO-FUSED(8 x 8 inch / 20 x 20 cm Black, Grey, Green, Blue, Yellow)
Offered by ECO-FUSED UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 21 Mar. 2015
Seem a good quality and good size cloth. There are bigger ones available, but I think this size is just right. Good customer service from Eco-Fused too.
Only strange thing is the amount of wrapping. They come in a tough high quality wallet, then inside that all five cloths are wrapped together in plastic, and then inside that each cloth is individually wrapped. Seems a bit excessive. But overall I can recommend this item.

Simpli-Special Fujian Oolong Black Loose Leaf Tea 100g in Resealable Pouch
Simpli-Special Fujian Oolong Black Loose Leaf Tea 100g in Resealable Pouch
Offered by Simpli-Special

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tea I've ever had, 17 Mar. 2015
I simply can't understand some of the poor reviews over the last few months. This is the best tea I've ever had. Exceptional. And a considerate and helpful company selling it. If you don't like this tea it's baffling.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4