ARRAY(0xb687e678)

Profile for George Orwell2 > Reviews

Content by George Orwell2

George Orwell2 (UK)

Betrayer (The Horus Heresy)
Betrayer (The Horus Heresy)
by Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous, 1 Feb 2014
I could write a lot about this novel but I'll keep it brief. I found this an extremely compelling, imaginative, well written and re-readable account of the strange pairing of a World Eaters and Word Bearers joint campaign to destroy as much of Ultramar as they can before the inevitable counter attack can be organised. But it's so much more than that. When reading a novel with Imperial characters, seeing the horror of the Chaos madness, you often wonder "what are they thinking?" Well this is it, page after page of insight into their motivations which I don't want to spoil but it's fascinating and appalling food for thought. Lorgar is well on his way to becoming lost in 10,000 years of contemplating the warp and the portrayal of Angron and the world eaters is a revelation. I'll never look at them in the stereotypical berserker-madman way again. The last few Heresy novels I read were "okay" but this is one of the standouts that's made excited about the series all over again.

Plugable USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter
Plugable USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter
Offered by Plugable Technologies
Price: 15.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't plug and play for me, 1 Feb 2014
I bought this for my new Windows 8 wireless only laptop which doesn't have a dvd drive. I plugged it in and it wouldn't work, saying it needed a driver. I couldn't use the disk provided and as the adapter itself didn't work, I couldn't get online to get the driver! Had to take the laptop next door to use the neighbour's wireless router to get the necessary driver/update. It works fine after that but I was a bit annoyed and surprised that it didn't work in the first place. Be prepared, this might happen to you too!

Sandisk MP3 Player Sansa Clip 2Gb Black With Radio feature included
Sandisk MP3 Player Sansa Clip 2Gb Black With Radio feature included

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a few more points..., 23 Jun 2009
Bought this last week and it's an amazing little thing (the size of a 50p and a 20p pushed together). I just have a couple of things to say that I haven't seen mentioned. Firstly is that it did not plug and play for me as easily as all the other reviewers have said. I had to go to Sansa support and update the firmware and switch it to MSC mode but now it's fine. Secondly I was very surprised to discover the headphones supplied are actually quite good, much better than the Creative EP-830s that I bought for it and now wish I hadn't. Hope this helps someone.

Shooting an Elephant: And Other Essays (Penguin Modern Classics)
Shooting an Elephant: And Other Essays (Penguin Modern Classics)
by George Orwell
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This edition is not so good, 21 Dec 2008
Orwell is a great writer and that's all that needs to be said about the content but with this specific edition I wish to make two points for a buyer to beware:

1) Re: the introduction by Jeremy Paxman - there isn't one. Not in the copy I got sent anyway. So don't buy it for that.

2) This is some sort of "green" edition which means the cover doesn't have a smooth, cool, plastic feel but instead feels like you are holding a cheap brown envelope. As soon as I touched the book I thought "wow this feels unpleasant" and it was this, more than the missing Paxman essay, that made me decide to return it.

So 5/5 for the content but 1/5 for this edition.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 3:35 PM GMT

Belkin Universal UPS 1200VA with USB & Serial Interface
Belkin Universal UPS 1200VA with USB & Serial Interface

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for those seeking a quiet UPS, 15 Nov 2008
I'm a Belkin fan and as a previous owner of another (now discontinued) Belkin UPS I was confident about spending this amount of money on this UPS so I could power two PCs and a monitor at once. You can find detailed reviews elsewhere but the things I noted were:

1) It is VERY heavy...

2) My previous model was described as noisy but it didn't bother me. The buzz of this one however is certainly louder than my previous model. It is VERY noticeable in a quiet bedroom at night and in the end I had to return it because of this reason.

3) Oddly I couldn't get my Internet connection to work until I replaced the cables I had been using with Belkin's own supplied cables. This seems a little strange but if that's what it wants...

The noise issue was too much and so I ended up buying an APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA instead which runs silently - except when the battery backup kicks on and gets a fan whirring. If you are looking for a silent UPS I recommend that and not this one.

Belkin Omniview 2-Port KVM Switch with Audio Support and Built-In Cabling, USB
Belkin Omniview 2-Port KVM Switch with Audio Support and Built-In Cabling, USB

3.0 out of 5 stars It works fine for the money but not perfectly, 15 Nov 2008
It's probably pointless me posting my review now but perhaps it will be of help to somebody.

It's curious how divided people are over this bit of equipment. As a fan of Belkin I thought I'd take a chance on them and personally, I haven't had any serious problems with this product. It's worth googling and reading some detailed reviews about how to set it up properly - mainly making sure all your USB keyboard and mouse work already beforehand. Installation is then a matter of switching the PC on and then unplugging your keyboard etc and plugging the switch cables in.

The switch-over can be achieved by: physically clicking a button on the switch or by using provided software to create a system tray icon or by pressing the scroll lock key four times in quick succession - this last method bizarrely goes completely unmentioned in the product manual. It makes a loud click as it switches which I find useful although others find annoying. It is not instant but takes two seconds maybe.

Weirdly, this product still isn't Vista supported but this doesn't really mean anything and it still works fine. However I have good grounds for believing that using Vista Ultimate's DreamScene will cause a complete system crash - the switch can't seem to cope with it. That aside it works fine going between XP and Vista.

The other strange thing I've noted is that I have a widescreen monitor and when I use my Pivot software to adjust the screen 90 degrees or whatever, it greatly confuses the switch and I noticed that after, I'm not able to switch to the other PC and it will continue to try to switch even when both PCs are turned off! It clicks away continuously until you unplug and replug the cables which is strange and a bit annoying. If the connection somehow comes loose you will find it constantly "switching" as well.

As other more professional reviewers have noted, if you need to use boot-up for any reason you will have to completely remove the switch because during the start up process, it keeps switching back and forth even when only one PC has been switched on.

I'm also using a Belkin USB to PS/2 Adapter (F5U119EAE) which allows me to continue to use my PS/2 keyboard despite this being a USB switch.

So in conclusion, it works but it does have its issues. I don't regret buying it.

Descent of Angels (The Horus Heresy)
Descent of Angels (The Horus Heresy)
by Mitchel Scanlon
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.42

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great, 5 Sep 2008
I'm enjoying the Horus Heresy series but this is the weakest so far and does lend itself to the suspicion that books are being published to cash in on the fact that the Heresy is so vast in scope the series could easily stretch to 100 novels or more.

Most of this novel is set on Caliban before the Emperor arrives and thus lays the psychological groundwork for what we know the future will bring. The idea of the planet's warrior code and the descriptions of the world are well written but the big failing is the dialogue which is pretty terrible. On page 65 we have the line "I'm not fat protested Eliath I'm just big boned" which as a fan of South Park made me laugh out loud and didn't exactly encourage my expectations for the rest of the novel.

In short, only buy if you are a "completist" (as I am) because it's not a very good novel on the whole and doesn't really belong in the same company as the rest of the Horus series.

Event Horizon
Event Horizon
by Steven McDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly decent, 27 Jun 2008
This review is from: Event Horizon (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of the film and decided to take a chance with the novelisation which usually turn out to be pretty worthless but this one isn't bad at all.

- if you want to know more about Weir and why he is so obsessed with bringing back his ship...
- if you wondered why Justin was "sent back" from the Hell dimension...
- if you've seen the "special edition" DVD and wondered where the "Weir spider" came from...
- if you wondered what Weir was doing when he went to the gravity drive after being told to vacate the ship...
- if you are interested in a scientific explanation of the Hell dimension...
- if you want to read a slightly different, more interesting version of the final encounter between Miller and "Weir"...

then buy this novel...

(I wouldn't pay 25 for it though)

Creative WebCam NX
Creative WebCam NX

2.0 out of 5 stars Spend some more money, 14 April 2007
This review is from: Creative WebCam NX (Electronics)
I rarely write product reviews but I feel strongly enough to warn people not to get this webcam. I was looking for a cheap one and this is it but it's not worth it. Spend some more money on something better than this. The cam quality was reasonable I guess but it's the software that really annoyed me. It's not good. It freezes while installing as has already been mentioned and I encountered all sorts of other problems - finally discovering that even after you uninstall it, the desktop icons and registry entries still remain on your system. It's a French product and everything that comes with it is in French. So if you want a reasonable cam and don't care about the software screwing with your computer then buy this, eitherwise spend some more money elsewhere is my advice.

Empire
Empire
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.18

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 12 Sep 2006
This review is from: Empire (Audio CD)
I have to agree with the previous comments - this album is a real let down after I enjoyed the first so much. The first two tracks are good (I've listened to Empire about a million times already) but that's it, nothing else interested me. Basically if you liked the track ID from the first album and you want more of the same, forget about it, it isn't there and I don't like what they've done instead. I would previously have described myself as an avid fan (heh!) but not any more.