Profile for R. G. Home > Reviews

Content by R. G. Home

R. G. Home (Brussels)

Page: 1 | 2
JSG Accessories® Dock Extension Cable Support Audio Video Signal for Apple iPhone, iPod , iPad in white colour
Offered by JSG Accessories

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke almost immediately, 22 Feb 2014
Another piece of cheap manufacturing. It broke after a couple of days, in that the cable came loose from the connector (which itself falls in two if you are not careful). It still actually functions, so two stars instead of one, but I can't imagine it will last long though.

Proxima Direct® White Dock Extension Cable for iPhone 4 4S 3GS 3G iPod Touch iPad iPad 2-- Support Audio Video Signal, Sync Charger -- with 17 Core not the slim 4 core version
Offered by Proxima Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but cheaply built, 13 Sep 2013
A cheap cable, but not very well constructed. It started to come apart after a few months, even though I don't use it that much. Compare that with your standard Apple phone charger cable, which gets used every day for years and still works. Not recommended for heavy use.

Update: now broken completely.

Oxford Reading Tree Read With Biff, Chip, and Kipper Flashcards: Word Games (Read With Biff Chip & Kipper)
by Mr Roderick Hunt
Edition: Cards

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but there are better sets of cards, 2 Nov 2012
This set of cards has (as it says in the description) two sets of 24 cards, so first of all, you are getting half the number of words that you would get in a set without duplicates. On the other hand, you can play games like "snap" with the two sets, but I usually just use them just to show to my child and get him to guess what the words are. The actual set of words is a bit strange: from what I recall, there is only one noun - the word "dog" which makes it a bit boring making sentences, especially since one of the verbs is "go" which doesn't conjugate with "dog". However, the cards did get some use, athough not nearly as much as the letterland set I ordered.

Frustration Slam-Tastic Chasing Game
Frustration Slam-Tastic Chasing Game
Offered by Fun Collectables

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating changes from the original, 2 Nov 2012
A classic game that I played as a child, but with a few changes that seem to make the game worse. The game, if you haven't played it, is pretty simple and involves moving pieces round a big circle. If you land on another players piece it goes back to the start. The die is locked inside a transparent dome which stops int getting lost. The changes to the original are that the clicker-style dice shaker has been replace by a "slamomatic" which basically involves your child thumping a plastic paddle (whick jolts the dome) to roll the dice (of which there are two now). The trouble is that if hit to hard the playing pieces jump out of their sockets - the fit is very poor - and that can ruin the game. With two small boys, hitting-things-to-hard is pretty much a given. There is also now an additional piece, the "genie" which can prevent your pieces being sent back to the start, but it is a complication and distraction to the game that is not really needed, although maybe there are gameplay reasons for having it. It's also easy to forget, in all the excitement, to check the genie die each turn. However, you can ignore it if you want. In general, this feels shoddier than the original, mainly due to the plastic paddles and the sloppy fit of the pieces, although I can't say that it would actually break. Still, the kids like it and it's good for counting skills.

Pirate Pat (First Reading) (Usborne Very First Reading)
Pirate Pat (First Reading) (Usborne Very First Reading)
by Mairi Mackinnon

5.0 out of 5 stars Best first reading books I have seen., 2 Nov 2012
This review is about the series of books. I have ordered a few first reading books, but these are by far the best - they avoid a lot of the basic mistakes that many others make. For a start, the vocabulary is carefully chosen to be easy and to mostly obey the basic spelling rules. For example, there are lots of words like "man", "sit" and "did" in the early books; more of the irregular words are introduced later. An obvious plus, but one that some books miss - the the font is nice and big. Next, although there are pictures, they don't give the game away in terms of what the words are (lots of books put a picture of a dog and then "dog" underneath - useless - my child just says "dog" without looking at the writing). To keep the stories interesting, there is some supporting text for an adult to read alongside the child to fill the story out a bit. Finally there are several books in each series with steadily increasing difficulty, and also two series, which is useful as my child tends to memorize the stories after a few repetitions, so I need something new.

Excellent well thought-out books and well worth investing in.

Planet Earth
Planet Earth
by Katie Daynes

2.0 out of 5 stars A book on climate change, 8 Aug 2012
This review is from: Planet Earth (Hardcover)
I bought this book as I wanted to teach the kids about the planet, geography, geography, the weather, etc. I remember having a book like this as a child and I really loved it. In this respect, it is OK (not great), but the description of the book says it has a feature on climate change. In fact, almost every page is about climate change in some way with a section at the end about "saving the planet" (by the way, the planet will survive, even if we don't). I'm not a climate change sceptic, but there are people who think climate change is a piece of alarmist political indoctrination being shoved down our throats, and books like this mean they actually have a point.

I'd love to find a book that just teaches my kids about the science. If I want a book on climate change, I will order one.

Fun Learning the ABC Alphabet Poster 61x91.5cm
Fun Learning the ABC Alphabet Poster 61x91.5cm

2.0 out of 5 stars Strange choice of pictures, 25 Oct 2011
How hard is it to find a simple object for each letter of the alphabet that, say, a four year-old would understand and begins with the sound of the letter? Well, very hard for someone, it seems. The choices on this poster are bizarre. How about an Orang-Utang for "O"? Then there is a picture of what I guess is a rat for "R", which of course looks like a mouse, so my kids get confused about that one. Then there are the phonetic errors, Giraffe for "G" (but Giraffe has a "J" sound), Island for "i" (an "eye" sound, not an "ih") and Unicorn for "u" (with a "you" sound instead of something like Umberella, and anyway, by kids think it is a horse). Even astronaut for "A" seems unecessary when "apple" is such a lot easier.

This poster is therefore confusing for young kids and I would not recommend it.

HUGE LAMINATED / ENCAPSULATED New Cartoon ABC Alphabet Childrens Educational POSTER measures 36 x 24 inches (91.5 x 61cm
Offered by Laminated Posters

1.0 out of 5 stars Strange choice of pictures, 1 Oct 2011

This poster is therefore useless for young kids and I would not recommend it.

HP Photosmart Premium All-in-One with Fax (Printer, Copier, Scanner and Fax with Bluetooth and CD/DVD Printing)

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but unreliable, 21 July 2010
I thought I had a great piece of kit for a great price: an HP machine with everything on it including a sheet feeding scanner, which I hoped would save me a lot of time with my accounts, but my joy was short lived. This is an unreliable machine. Nothing disasterous, just continuous minor problems; for example, paper feeding problems, crashes, losing the network connection, incompatibilities with CD printing software and so on. In addition, the software user interface leaves a lot to be desired: they need a lesson in design from Apple. I'd shop elsewhere.

[Update]After a year of ownership and I going to throw this piece of junk away and buy something else. If I had to list all of the problems with it, I'd just be wasting even more time than I have already, but in brief, scanning is an absolute nightmare. Avoid at all costs.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age - Limited Edition Sleeve and Free Bookmark (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [DVD] [2007]

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't wait for it to start, couldn't wait for it to end., 5 Feb 2008
I loved the first movie (easily worth five stars) and so eagerly awaited the sequel. On the face of it, it ought to have been even better. The first movie succeeded despite not an awful lot actually happening from a historical perspective. Not so in the golden age where England's adventurers set out to explore the new world and challenge Spain for domination of the seas. Yet all of this excitement was, if not ignored, then only referred mostly indirectly. Raleigh talks about his voyages and his discoveries, but we hardly see him on a boat. Drake and Elizabeth's other great sea captains get bit parts. We hear of America, but the closest we get is a glimpse of a potato and a sack of tobacco. Even the climactic clash with the Spanish Amada was covered in only overview. I waited the whole movie for that and got just a few minutes of film. Instead, we are subjected to endless brooding shots of Elizabeth, Mary and Sir Walter and they stroll around the echoing palaces. The camera occasionally zooms back to the high ceiling vaults for an artistic long shot, but this only works a couple of times before the novelty wears off. I had to restrain myself from pressing the fast-forward on many occasions. Take the execution of Mary queen of Scotts: from the moment she starts walking to the block to the moment she gets her head lopped off takes over 3 minutes of screen time.

Had the movie been historically accurate, I could have consoled myself with the fact that I was being educated, but was hopelessly and sometimes embarrassingly butchered for the sake of artistic license. True, the movie was pretty in places - the costumes and sets were grandiose - but in the end I didn't care.

I give this movie a low score because it would have been so easy to make it much better. If they'd simply told history like it was and left the artistic pretentions aside, it could not have failed.

Page: 1 | 2