Profile for eMnOtipS > Reviews

Walking with Dinosaurs [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Pierre de Lespinois
Price: 18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Predictable Warm Family Fuzziness., 20 Mar 2014
Walking With Dinosaurs 3D follows the life of runt dinosaur Patchi whilst he experiences his journey into adulthood, which includes the trials and tribulations of his herds winter migrations, a love interest and challenges for dominance.

WWD3D has been receiving some fairly bad reviews all over the web and from what I'm reading it's from all ages, no one seems to enjoy this movie. I watched with my 10 year old son and must say I found it quite lovely.

Firstly the effects were awesome, the Dinosaurs looked more real than any I have seen in other movies so credit where credits due must be given to the CGI department.

The storyline IS average so I understand that people aren't raving about WWD, and it is predictable but there are some comical jokes which are delivered well and there are some truly touching moments.

The voice acting was fine, nothing to get overly excited about but fine. I felt it a little strange that all the dinosaurs kept the same voice from birth to adult but c'est la vie, this isn't the end of the world. Justin Long [Best Man Down, Dodgeball] provides the voice of Patchi our main character and he does do a good job as his voice is great for the runt of the litter due to it already sounding nervous and vulnerable in real life so he could just be himself. I also have to give an honourable mention to John Leguizamo [Ice Age, Kick-Ass 2] playing Alex the bird, Patchi's best friend as he is hilarious, not his jokes or the lines he is given, but just the way he delivers. John Leguizamo is a person that could make you laugh reading names out of a phone book.

To summarise, the movie is predictable and average but it's nice and giving. It is aimed at families but I feel that regardless of what you make of the story you will enjoy the CGI and for those that are not impressed by either the storyline or the CGI, well you have John Leguizamo.

VLC for Kindle Beta
VLC for Kindle Beta
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A Beta product that still feels very much in Alpha, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: VLC for Kindle Beta (App)
I must start this review but saying I love VLC and have used it on my PC for years. The fact you never need to install a codec pack to play any video is what makes VLC a must for me.

I got this for the Kindle as I was interested in playing other video files that the Kindle can't handle which actually seems to be pretty much all of them, even some MP4's which I thought Amazon had suggested wouldn't be the case.

I got a very mixed response off of VLC with varying extension, I used FLV which was fine, but AVI and MPEG had a sound delay which was frustrating and that was on every file I tried. VLC on the PC gives you the option to speed up or slow down the sound to sync but at the time of writing this that option wasn't currently available on the Kindle. That being said I shouldn't have to speed up or slow the sound down as the video wasn't the issue when playing them on any other device they were perfectly in sync.

I had multiple crashes on small below 360p files which shouldn't be an issue for VLC and the interface just currently looks ugly.

It seems premature to call this a Beta as that would suggest they are just ironing out some of the odd bugs whereas what I currently have installed on my Kindle is not just a couple of bugs, it's an entire doctors surgery.

However, be patient as VLC know their stuff and as soon as they get this right, it will be the best player the Kindle will be able to offer and I would bet my house on that.

Viewer+Downloader vTube for YouTube
Viewer+Downloader vTube for YouTube
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, interesting interface but limited in functionality, 9 Jan 2014
I paid for the full version of this application because at the time with the free version you couldn't download and the videos had advertisements on them.

The Positives: vTube looks very nice and is very easy to use, it shows your subscriptions, recommendations and has many other variants of the usual YouTube layout such as you can see what is trending and what to watch (which for some reason is different to recommended), plus many more. You can also download videos so that you can watch when offline, which for my baby daughter has been priceless as I've downloaded nursery rhymes that we take with us when away from home.

The Negatives: vTube crashes a lot more than I would like, two times I have had to uninstall and reinstall as it wouldn't let me use the search without crashing. Sometimes the menu's overlap each other and you need to restart the app, sometimes you just get an error box saying it's stopped working. You do not get the option to view comments sent to you or leave comments either. Videos take a while to start, I have fibre optic internet but still videos take 10 seconds to start from clicking play.

Negatives aside, this is still a very nice application and much better than anything else I have tried, it does have its problems but I'm sure at some point an update will correct those issues, but nothing I have seen runs as smooth as this app when working and nothing others as much variety as vTube so well worth a look.

*Edited 22/02/2014 Since writing the original review the ability of view and write comments has been added, it's not an obvious icon/button to click on but if you click on the two arrows on the bottom left whilst playing a video it will shrink that video and show you the comments.

It will also now show you playlists but it still doesn't have the function to play more than one video in a row, you still have to click on each one.

ES File Explorer
ES File Explorer

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the must downloads for your tablet, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: ES File Explorer (App)
I own a Kindle so can only write about how this app works on there, but if you too own a Kindle and want to download anything that isn't part of the app store then ES File Explorer is a must.

It handles your downloads and you can install them direct from the same app. I got this to install a third party browser, but have used it for so many things since. It looks scary to anyone who isn't that technical, but looks in this instance are deceiving as it is very intuitive to use and as long as you take your time when downloading, making sure to read what you are doing rather than getting click happy, you won't go wrong.

There isn't a huge amount I can add to this review other than reiterating if you intend to download anything that isn't part of the app store then ES File should be in your download queue now!

Netflix
Netflix

5.0 out of 5 stars Netflix interface that rivals the Playstation, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Netflix (App)
I've always loved the way Netflix looked on the Playstation and since the Xbox One release, I love how it now looks for Microsoft, but the tablet versions always looked bare and were sluggish in navigation regardless of how powerful your tablets processor.

Netflix's most up to date version for Android looks great, moves around seamlessly and has an upgraded search function that always finds (if available) the movie and or actors I am looking for.

Netflix is obviously a free download but for those of you who are new to Netflix you will need to sign up online before you can use it on the tablet, there isn't an option to sign up via the application.

Xbox 360 SmartGlass
Xbox 360 SmartGlass

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks very pretty but lacks any real substance., 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Xbox 360 SmartGlass (App)
Smartglass has a great interface and is very pretty to look at but after you get passed how pleasing it is to the eye you realise it doesn't have much more to offer.

I can reply to messages received when not logged in and I can look at my gamerscore, change my avatar and other fiddly things, but I was hoping somewhere down the line Smartglass would become more usable with my games and add little depth to what I could use it for, I was hoping it would become and extension to my gaming but right now it just feels very gimmicky.

Smartglass apparently is going to be much more interactive for the Xbox One but as it stands this is only worth a download if you like to reply to messages when not on your Xbox.

On the plus side, it's free, so you have nothing to lose giving it a go.

Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best pop up blocker you can get and its free!!!, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Adblock Plus (App)
If, like me you use blogs or streaming sites you will find a lot of them use pop-ups as a form of advertisement and the Kindles option to turn off pop ups works to a degree but just not in all instances.

I use Dolphin Browser which is a better option than the preinstalled Silk and Adblock works for both equally well.

Adblock couldn't be easier to install and not only does it prevent pop ups which as mentioned the Kindle does have an option to turn off, but when you visit YouTube you don't get the 30 second ad videos prior to the one you are wanting to watch and also the majority of times you do not get the flash adverts on most sites which Kindle does not have the option to stop.

I use Adblock on everything I own, from Mobile to Laptop and couldn't recommend it highly enough.