Profile for D. R. Byers > Reviews

D. R. Byers (Australia)

Marmite Medium 250g
Marmite Medium 250g
Offered by GABSMART

5.0 out of 5 stars born and bred but I have to say the English Marmite (called Our Mate in Australia) is way better than Vegemite, 9 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Marmite Medium 250g (Grocery)
I live in Australia, born and bred but I have to say the English Marmite (called Our Mate in Australia) is way better than Vegemite! There I've said it. The only problem is that it is only sold in 125g jars here and I go through the stuff.

Tamara  Drewe [DVD]
Tamara Drewe [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gemma Arterton

1.0 out of 5 stars I should have known as soon as I saw that the BBC were involved, 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Tamara Drewe [DVD] (DVD)
I have just had a look at the first 15 minuets of this film and that is enough to know it is rubbish. I should have known as soon as I saw that the BBC were involved. The BBC are as pretentious, nowadays, as the ABC is here in Australia. Lots of bad language to make it seem "edgy" is so boring. Come on UK you can do better than this!

Doctor Who - The Enemy of the World [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Enemy of the World [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton

5.0 out of 5 stars An underrated story, 9 Dec. 2013
Having watched both The Enemy of the World and Web of Fear on download, and now having seen the DVD of Enemy of the World, I can honestly say The Enemy of the World is not only underrated but a classic Doctor Who story. Patrick Troughton's acting shines through as he plays two roles with ease. The story line is strong and keeps one hooked. Much better than Web of Fear, which I think is overrated.

The Centennial Collection
The Centennial Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST have!, 15 May 2011
I first bought vol. 2 of "King of the Delta Blues Singers" in 1985 then vol. 1 a few weeks after. In 1990 I bought the "Complete Recordings" box set. Now in 2011 we have the "The Centennial Collection". I will not review the music of Robert Johnson other than to say it is Blues at its very best.

For those who own the 1990 "Complete Recordings" I say replace it with this set! The sound of this set is so startling it was, for me, like hearing the music for the first time. There was a subtlety and softness to Johnson's vioce I had never heard before. One could hear him trailing his singing off at the end of a verse. His guitar playing too is beautifully clear on this set, So dynamic and powerful.

Again, get it!

Brian Jones: Who Killed Christopher Robin? - The Truth Behind the Murder of a Rolling Stone
by Terry Rawlings

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but not great, 31 July 2010
This book is OK. It seems to be made up from lots of interviews with people who knew Brian Jones. It shows Mr Jones as having a very troubled life not being able to cope with fame. The book indicates that Brian's main problem was with drink (but that he also took a lot of drugs). The strongest part of this book is the appendix at the end which shows the witness statements and doctors' reports on the state of Brian's body. Sadly there were a lot of spelling mistakes throughout the book.

Life on Mars : Complete BBC Series 2 [2007] [DVD]
Life on Mars : Complete BBC Series 2 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Simm
Offered by joe4books

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE the ending, 23 July 2007
This is with out doubt one of the best TV series I have ever seen! The ending was very important (I think one of the reviews here is missing the point). The show turned out to be about the Afterlife. Our hero Sam learns so much and who is to say that many of the others in the 1973 world, maybe not all, are not in their Afterlife as well?

I highly recommend this series; it stays with you long after you have seen it.

War And Peace [DVD]
War And Peace [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anthony Hopkins
Offered by kaboodal

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 12 Sept. 2006
This review is from: War And Peace [DVD] (DVD)
This is simply the best version of War and Peace available (better then the movies - Russian or whatever). I have never seen a series that is so true to the book on which it is made! The BBC knows how to make drama.

The Tyrannicide Brief
The Tyrannicide Brief
by Geoffrey Robertson

1.0 out of 5 stars A cynical re-writing of history, 12 Jan. 2006
This review is from: The Tyrannicide Brief (Hardcover)
This is without doubt the most cynical re-writing of history I am yet to read (and believe me that is saying something). To present the illegal trial of King Charles I as a good deed beggars belief!
This book falls down because it glosses over the fact that Colonel Pride purged the House of Commons of some 150 members leaving a small rump of 80 members who were totally dependent on the Army, therefore giving Cromwell his way to put the King on trial. Not to mention that the House of Lords were not part of the process.
Having read the book and listened to Mr Geoffrey Robertson QC put forward his points in interviews, it is clear to me that he has his own agenda for writing such a book as this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2014 3:43 PM GMT